Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

96Delica

Adventurer
Added a gear net to the head liner and some loops for hanging stuff. I added snaps to the loops to install some "winter panels" that I have yet to make...

0218191cedc594d779484ec0acbff6c2.jpg

e3a1c2e7b6161c434d6acfdd75d55a2e.jpg
Love the gear net, any tips on installing something similar? How-to sites etc?

bigfish

Observer
@Don_TLR What are you shooting with? I love the photo.

@mtsn Like I said in my post, it was a real pain to install and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a good understanding of the work involved. I had to completely remove the tent and headliner, source materials from several stores, and have heavy duty sewing machine. The project took two solid weekends and I had a buddy who is good at sewing/upholstery help me.

MTSN

Explorer
@mtsn Like I said in my post, it was a real pain to install and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a good understanding of the work involved. I had to completely remove the tent and headliner, source materials from several stores, and have heavy duty sewing machine. The project took two solid weekends and I had a buddy who is good at sewing/upholstery help me.

I think that was to be directed at someone else (96Delica maybe?) because I would NEVER attempt something that involved on something that expensive :D

96Delica

Adventurer
@Don_TLR What are you shooting with? I love the photo.

Yeah that was for me ;) Thanks for the reply though, I've always wanted something similar in the headliner of my Delica. I've just been trying to figure out a way to do it, looks great!

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
I have been following for a while, and am about ready to pull the trigger. I have been hoping to locate a used Ursa Minor first to made my initial prototype mods, but since I have not located one, I guess I need to order a new one. I don't need/want the rear doors and seating area so I am thinking about the following mod to provide more interior space. I have reached out to Eric at ActionTruck and am trying to purchase the rear door delete panels he has developed. With those, the rest of the mods will be to the Ursa Minor itself.

ursa-minor.jpg

Espo78

Adventurer
I feel that unless you are doing this as an exercise for yourself, to see if you can, you aren't going to really gain anything by doing such a conversion. The rear doors will actually come in very handy when loading and unloading the vehicle. With the rear seats folded down or removed you can build a platform that works for you and the doors can be used for underneath access. I fail to see what converting to a 2 door will gain you, besides being unique.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I fail to see what converting to a 2 door will gain you, besides being unique.

Because 2 doors are way more awesomeyer than 4 doors! Right on Mudicon, I'm looking forward to following your progress; please post up lots of pictures along the way! I've had something similar bubbling around in the deep recesses of my brain, and I'm more than happy to watch someone else attempt it first. :)

Septu

Explorer
You guys are killing me!!!! Every time I look at this thread I want to sell my trailer and buy one of these...............

Same. But then I remember that I like the idea of being able to disconnect and leave camp all setup... I just need to win the lotto so I can have both without actually having to justify it...

Septu

Explorer
I have been following for a while, and am about ready to pull the trigger. I have been hoping to locate a used Ursa Minor first to made my initial prototype mods, but since I have not located one, I guess I need to order a new one. I don't need/want the rear doors and seating area so I am thinking about the following mod to provide more interior space. I have reached out to Eric at ActionTruck and am trying to purchase the rear door delete panels he has developed. With those, the rest of the mods will be to the Ursa Minor itself.

View attachment 280477

Question... do you really "lose" space by having the full doors vs the half doors? I mean it's one thing to have a different setup, or have stuff permanently setup to the point that those rear doors are useless... but even if that's the case, do you really need to 'delete' them, vs just doing your thing and never using them? Then even if you never use them (I'd think they'd come in handy myself), at least you have the windows should you want a breeze or to air things out, etc.

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
I fail to see what converting to a 2 door will gain you, besides being unique.

Well, each to their own likes and it's why I call the Wrangler "Legos for adults." I had a fullsize Bronco in the early 90's and loved it. I moved up to an Excursion, and while I loved the room in the back, I always kept the seats folded down and never used the rear two doors. Then in the early 2000's I got a TJ and there just was not enough room to carry anything. I built an '06 LJ Rubicon and absolutely loved the room for carrying gear, but the ride was horrible. Now that I am on my 4th JKU, I find myself with the seats folded down and rarely ever opening the rear doors. I have a Commander if I am carrying more people than my GF and myself.

For me, it is about the ability to carry gear in an enclosed water tight back...sort of why people put camper shells on pickups. I will definitely be removing the rear seats, and like you suggested, will be building a full carpeted floor all the way to the back of the front seats. As far as accessibility for the area in the rear seat footwells, I will probably use those areas under the rear deck for water storage tank, pumps, and plumbing.

Septu

Explorer
Well, each to their own likes and it's why I call the Wrangler "Legos for adults." I had a fullsize Bronco in the early 90's and loved it. I moved up to an Excursion, and while I loved the room in the back, I always kept the seats folded down and never used the rear two doors. Then in the early 2000's I got a TJ and there just was not enough room to carry anything. I built an '06 LJ Rubicon and absolutely loved the room for carrying gear, but the ride was horrible. Now that I am on my 4th JKU, I find myself with the seats folded down and rarely ever opening the rear doors. I have a Commander if I am carrying more people than my GF and myself.

For me, it is about the ability to carry gear in an enclosed water tight back...sort of why people put camper shells on pickups. I will definitely be removing the rear seats, and like you suggested, will be building a full carpeted floor all the way to the back of the front seats. As far as accessibility for the area in the rear seat footwells, I will probably use those areas under the rear deck for water storage tank, pumps, and plumbing.

I don't think anyone questions or disputes this (Lego for adults). But nothing you've indicated other than wanting it to be different actually requires the doors be deleted. I agree completely on the seats being down - mine have been down for over a year. But in that time, I've also used those rear doors on a weekly basis to load and unload gear. I couldn't imagine having all that space and having to ether access gear from the front, or always having to crawl into the JK from the rear to access stuff.

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
...requires the doors be deleted...

Fortunately for you and those that prefer the four door option, it is available in that configuration stock from the factory. For those minority of us that simply prefer a two door long wheel base version, our only choice previously has been an 04-06 LJ or a permanent JK-8 conversion performed by a body shop (which I previously owned.) Hopefully before too long I will be able to offer an alternative DIY 2 dr kit that can be reversed when the owner is selling/trading it in. It is not about requiring the removal of the rear doors, it is about the personal preference of having a 2 dr JKU. Not trying to hijack this Ursa Minor thread. I was merely showing a personal preference and current project plans. Original intent was not to gain your approval. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

bigfish

Observer
If we keep the discussion on topic about the Ursa Minor camper, I can tell you John is not likely to modify his production molds to accommodate your vision. He has his hands full with the current production model and the habitat.

I came from a LJ as well and I understand your thought process. The extended wheelbase 2-door is a nice idea. but in the "real world" the JK camper itself is a tight niche market to start with. The 2 door JK (short or custom long wheel base) are not that popular, so it's not likely anyone will putting forth the effort to bring a camper like you want to market. In addition, without rear doors, it would be very impractical to to enter the tent from the hatch panels as designed, rendering them virtually useless or the design would have to be further modified.

If this 2-door concept is something you really want to pursue, I'd bet there is someone out there willing to do it for $XX,XXX... :lurk:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears