Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

PTO

PTO
Some shade Koolaid??
Nice!!!
I'll be going over the 40 nights camping in mine this weekend (since April) and have never loved a mod so much as this one..

I'll be getting 12 nights in starting next week down in your area of AZ.

aam1023

Well, the honeymoon came to a crashing halt here with #140. I experienced rain for the first time last night, and awoke on Thanksgiving morning to find the top leaking heavily at the front edges of both front doors and the rear passenger door. The rain was steady overnight but not hard. I spent my Thanksgiving morning taking pictures of the leaks in action and crafting a detailed email to John, all the while that hoping my brand-new Jeep hasn't suffered any internal damage due to water flooding down the inside of the pillar separating the front and rear doors. I will post follow up messages detailing the resolution of this experience.
I know that earlier iterations of the J30 (before the rain gutter was added) had leak issues, but I was very shocked to discover that my "newest generation" J30 was also sieve-like.

JDaPP

Adventurer
So I was one of the early adopters and lived in Florida. Rain was a daily issue. For the front no damage done people leave top completely off in the rain all the time. To fix front leak I put rubber washer under bolt that attaches top to jeep. I them caulked the bolt head and all around the hinge assembly. No leakage on that one anymore. For the back the water is coming through the latching assembly. I caulked/duct taped it. For the most part it is good but I do occasionally have minor leak back there. (Damp not dripping).
I occasionally get leaks from the panels but I think that is a condensation issue. At high speeds air will seep through the panels which annoys me far more.
Hope that helps. I am told jeeps are supposed to leak....

Last edited:

brianmatiash

Hello from Portland, everyone! #129 over here. I had my '12 Wrangler returned to me with a newly installed J30 about 6 weeks ago but haven't had a chance to put it to the test due to travel abroad. But, I'm home for the next two months or so and look forward to making my way up north into Washington and Canada!

I have a few quick questions that I'd like to ask you guys:

1. Have you been able to do anything to address the noticeable wind noise when you hit 40mph and faster? The cabin used to be silent before installing and now the whirring gets pretty noticeable at speeds greater than 40mph.
2. After learning the hard way that I'd have to buy the entire rear wiper kit to restore that functionality (and defrosting of the rear windshield), I'm now left with the power cable/water hose/heating cables dangling around. I'm curious about how you handled hiding/mounting these cables so that they're out of the way. I'm thinking of some sort of velcro solution but wanted to see if there are other alternatives. Thanks much, everyone!

And here are two shots of us checking out our new home-on-the-go for the first time! :)

j30-129-01.jpg

j30-129-02.jpg

aam1023

Yes, I would consider yourself very lucky. Perhaps the guys took the time necessary to install everything correctly and perform the extra siliconing and caulking necessary to install a watertight fit. Pretty sad that we're all ponying up the same amount of cash but receiving such variations in quality control/final fit and finish.

JDaPP

Adventurer
So I was one of the early adopters and lived in Florida. Rain was a daily issue. For the front no damage done people leave top completely off in the rain all the time. To fix front leak I put rubber washer under bolt that attaches top to jeep. I them caulked the bolt head and all around the hinge assembly. No leakage on that one anymore. For the back the water is coming through the latching assembly. I caulked/duct taped it. For the most part it is good but I do occasionally have minor leak back there. (Damp not dripping).
I occasionally get leaks from the panels but I think that is a condensation issue. At high speeds air will seep through the panels which annoys me far more.
Hope that helps. I am told jeeps are supposed to leak....

I do want to add that John was very responsive to helping me fix my leak issues. I am actually surprised that there are any leak issues as John incorporated changes based off of our discussions.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Hello from Portland, everyone! #129 over here. I had my '12 Wrangler returned to me with a newly installed J30 about 6 weeks ago but haven't had a chance to put it to the test due to travel abroad. But, I'm home for the next two months or so and look forward to making my way up north into Washington and Canada!

I have a few quick questions that I'd like to ask you guys:

1. Have you been able to do anything to address the noticeable wind noise when you hit 40mph and faster? The cabin used to be silent before installing and now the whirring gets pretty noticeable at speeds greater than 40mph.
2. After learning the hard way that I'd have to buy the entire rear wiper kit to restore that functionality (and defrosting of the rear windshield), I'm now left with the power cable/water hose/heating cables dangling around. I'm curious about how you handled hiding/mounting these cables so that they're out of the way. I'm thinking of some sort of velcro solution but wanted to see if there are other alternatives. Thanks much, everyone!

And here are two shots of us checking out our new home-on-the-go for the first time! :)

So you have the wiring (I assume from previous hardtop) just not the rear wiper assembly? I bought a wiper assembly without the wiring (didn't do enough research). If you are interested in the rear wiper assembly let me know, I am willing to part with it.

For the wind noise it may becoming from the panels. I took a roll of Insulation foam (the kind that goes doors and windows) and put it in the cracks and then climbed down the side.

aam1023

I do want to add that John was very responsive to helping me fix my leak issues. I am actually surprised that there are any leak issues as John incorporated changes based off of our discussions.

Yes, I'm surprised too. I read every page of this thread (and others elsewhere) and tracked the evolution of leakage issues as experienced by early adopters and it did seem that these issues had been dealt with. I don't really see anyone else with a "next generation" J30 with leakage issues either, but my Jeep was full of water from 3 well-defined leak points yesterday morning. I will hold off on any other commentary for the moment but will post a detailed response once I have heard back from John regarding a remedy. I contacted John yesterday; so I don't expect a response until Monday at the earliest. Meanwhile, it continues to rain here and my "expedition vehicle" remains safely ensconced in the garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78