Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Fishrising

Observer
So...I'll be the first to admit I haven't read all 134 pages of this thread yet (but I am working on it.) My question to you all is, has anyone with an Ursa Minor been "classified" as self-contained by a governing body who oversees, say overnight beach camping/access? Like Cape Cod National Seashore... You have to have to be self contained. Meaning, for your sink you must have grey water holding tank. You must have a toilet, with a black water holding tank. And you must sleep within your vehicle or slide in camper. Anyone dos this yet with an Ursa Minor? Any pics of your interior with these things? I have a port a potty, and I have a home made sink with a grey water holding tank. But I am trying to envision where to place these in a JKU if I had an Ursa Minor...

Here is the sink, top container for potable water, bottom container for grey water, and a marine hand pump faucet:
sink.jpg

ventura911

Adventurer
Harnessing, hiding from, and replacing (sort of) the sun:

Original choice was a Renogy 100w flexible panel, but it was recalled for a design issue that could lead to a fire:
image.jpg

Upgraded to a Renogy 150w rigid panel for about the same cost I paid for the flexible one:
image.jpg

Mounted the panel with custom brackets from Impact Products (http://m.ebay.com/itm/131702371613?_mwBanner=1), after trimming the slides (sorry, not shown) to fit the roof rails:
image.jpg

So Cal Teardrops' awning (https://www.socalteardrops.com/options.php?cid=8&oid=71) and annex (https://www.socalteardrops.com/options.php?cid=8&oid=109 [sorry, no pics of mine yet]):
image.jpg
image.jpg

And for when the sun is hiding elsewhere (http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2...roduct_Code=WTK1&Category_Code=WTK-Lanterns):
image.jpg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
So...I'll be the first to admit I haven't read all 134 pages of this thread yet (but I am working on it.) My question to you all is, has anyone with an Ursa Minor been "classified" as self-contained by a governing body who oversees, say overnight beach camping/access? Like Cape Cod National Seashore... You have to have to be self contained. Meaning, for your sink you must have grey water holding tank. You must have a toilet, with a black water holding tank. And you must sleep within your vehicle or slide in camper. Anyone dos this yet with an Ursa Minor? Any pics of your interior with these things? I have a port a potty, and I have a home made sink with a grey water holding tank. But I am trying to envision where to place these in a JKU if I had an Ursa Minor...

I'm not sure I've ever seen any certification or check for such certification. Campgrounds that require such things generally do so because they don't have toilet or sink facilities, or enough room for tents. If they see you setting up a tent or dumping grey-water, they'll generally ask you to leave. If they see you pooping on the ground, they'll call the cops!

Joking aside, generally those requirements seem to be driven by the need to guide your expectations. There's a "self-contained only" public campground near Ventura beach. It's basically a parking lot with "sites" marked as painted stalls in a line along the rocky shore-break. No restrooms, no place for tent, etc. We booked a site there last-minute in June due to our existing campground being on fire - there was no check of our facilities either before booking or at check-in. That said, we were the only "expo-type" rig there with our porta-potti equipped van. Everyone else was either full-timer retirees with shiny new 30' Diesel pushers or full-timer beach rats with older Class-Bs/Cs.

Fishrising

Observer
Sorry for detracting from the original track of this topic.....but I also just discovered that in the areas I was thinking of going (open beach on Cape Cod), self contained means "permanently installed black water tanks sufficient for 3 days worth of holdings..." and now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Fishrising

Observer
I don't see why you couldn't go that route and a similar potty method. I'm from RI and you could go to Ninnigret with that setup,, or you could 25 years ago when I lived there.

Ha, back in the late 80s early 90s I used to go to East Beach at Ninnigret in a Dodge Dakota p/u with a cap and spend the night, and windsurf all day! I actually used this sink and porta potty. They had no issue as both were self contained and I was sleeping in my vehicle. But Cape Cod states "permanently mounted holding tanks." I don't think the porta potty's nor this sink's holding tanks are considered permanently mounted [to the vehicle] in Mass...guess I will have to go ask them...

goin camping

Explorer
Today was a first

Heading south on the 14 into Santa Clarita and I glance in my mirror as see a jeep coming up on me. Wait a sec, I recognize that top.

Yep, some guy in a well set up for cross country JKUR with an Ursa Minor top.

We waived as he went by. Nice to see another one out there.

Presto88

Adventurer
I've only seen...maybe one or two J30's (other than mine) in my life! And never while I was in my Jeep. Most of the people who see mine think that I had it custom made, and are surprised when I tell them that there is a company that turns these out on a regular basis.

hardwickj

one black with white top and one white-white in SF Bay Area

I'm gonna guess the black w/ white top was me, especially if it was parked nearby Buena Vista Park. I was hanging out in San Fran for ~7 months, up until a month ago. The Jeep is now up in Portland at a friends place while I meander around Europe :)

-James

Quiettime

"I'm gonna guess the black w/ white top was me, especially if it was parked nearby Buena Vista Park. I was hanging out in San Fran for ~7 months, up until a month ago. The Jeep is now up in Portland at a friends place while I meander around Europe :)"

Good for you! Enjoy Europe.

How many nights have you slept in your Ursa Minor? Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger