US Forest Service Land Sale

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Although there is often a lot of discussion on forums such as Expedition Portal about so-called lefty-greenies trying to shut down or limit our access to public land, we have a new threat that's no longer lurking. It's here.

Our own federal government has proposed - I love this, "in the name of protecting children in rural schools" - selling off over 300,000 acres of our public lands. The legislation is in circulation.

I haven't had time to look at all the proposed parcels (they can change), and not all of the information is online yet, but so far when I looked up for example what's slated for possible sale in Gallatin National Forest in Montana, there are some sweet pieces on the Gallatin River, not so far from Bozeman that some Friend of the Administration couldn't pick it up at auction, say, and put in some nice condos for fast turnaround. In Arizona, there are some parcels up just east of Flagstaff on the Kaibab NF - again, they are gateway properties to access wilder places.

And do we think these new owners will allow us to keep accessing National Forest land across their spiffy new "ranch" properties? No - they will close roads.

Yes, some of the parcels on the surface might look like it's a good idea to sell because they've got little towns now around them, or are off big roads now. But with population growing, Baby Boomers retiring, and moving out into rural places, if we keep selling off public land that's impacted by growth, we'll have nothing left in 50 years.

At stake: 300,000 plus acres of USFS lands plus the idea of sellign BLM lands to reduce the deficit. (Selling our public land legacy to make up for bad management and planning? Yikes!). It's the precedent that's scary: we just can't start now, or they'll never stop.

The rather poor website for this proposal is at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/land/staff/rural_schools.shtml

If you feel strongly about protecting our right to keep public land public, send an email to the USFS. Dale Bosworth is the Chief.

SRS_Land_Sales@fs.fed.us
or
Fax the USFS 202-205-1604

Regular mail

USDA Forest Service
SRS Comments
Lands 4S
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Mailstop 1124
Washington DC 20250-0003

Congressional switchboard 202-224-3121 to leave a message for your federal elected offcicials. or use these links to look up your reps and senators and give them an email or fax or letter or call.

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Here's a copy of the letter we sent. Feel free to cut and paste (just remember to change the names!):

30 March 2006

Dale Bosworth
US Forest Service
Washington DC

Dear Mr. Bosworth:

We are hunters and anglers dedicated to passing on America's outdoor heritage, we must write to object to recent proposals to sell off portions of America's most prized natural assets — our public lands.

It has come to our attention that the Bush Administration has submitted a proposal in its upcoming budget that would amend the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self Determination Act of 2000 to allow payment under the Act to continue for an additional five years by selling US Forest Service lands.

We are Republicans, and committed to nearly all conservative values—including conserving our natural resources. We are founding members of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, a national non-profit sportsmen's conservation group with members in 22 states. We are adamantly opposed to this proposal and the sale of 304,370 acres of national forests.

We are intimately familiar with the public lands and we know first-hand that the parcels slated for possible sale are used for hunting, fishing, camping and to access our lands and water.

We cherish the ability and freedom to enjoy our public lands. America's tradition of public-land-access for hunting, angling and other recreation is the epitome of our unique and successful North American model of natural resource management. This separates us from our European counterparts who may only participate in such activities based upon who they know and how much money they have in order to have access to open landscapes.

Selling public lands to pay for programs or to pay down the debt is bad policy. Actually, we strongly feel public land should never be sold., or only sold when there is a tangible conservation benefit.

Please do everything in your power to stop these misguided efforts. Our children and grandchildren will thank you for it.

Sincerely,

Jonathan and Roseann Hanson
Altar Valley, Arizona (SW of Tucson)

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Very simple answer......

Just start the:

"Expedition Portal Natl. Forest Land Grab, LLC."

and buy up all the land at the head of the trails!:D

Just kidding!

asteffes

Explorer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Very simple answer......

Just start the:

"Expedition Portal Natl. Forest Land Grab, LLC."

and buy up all the land at the head of the trails!:D

Just kidding!

It's not a terrible idea. The combined buying power of those on this forum can't be that bad!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Compared to the buying power of large corporations, land developers, etc., yes, the buying power of people on this, or any other forum, is nothing. If every member on this forum pitched in $100,000, we would be looking at $35 million (how many members here have $100,000 in expendable assets?). Compare that a business like KB homes, which just posted $174.5 million in *profit* last year alone.

Nope, the only chance we have is through our elected officials (and yes, I realize the idea of pooling money to buy the land was not a serious one)...

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I guess that means the idea just went up in smoke!

JTRGqiS0v2KfiaMuzIs4hoVTACQF.jpg

DesertRose

asteffes said:
The combined buying power of those on this forum can't be that bad!

You haven't seen our bank accounts, have you?!:eek: <-- that's what I usually do when I get brave and look . . .

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I've sent letters on this already. I think Domenici gets tired of hearing from me. :) Maybe The Nature Conservancy will buy something if this actually goes through. Of course, their conservation easements often curtail access to some extent. Thanks for posting it up Roseann. :)

flywgn

Explorer
Having fished the Gallatin River a bunch of times (even before Robert Redford and Brad Pitt), I'd sure hate to see "sweet pieces" of that river turn into private hands, but I didn't see any of this type in the list (only three pieces mentioned in the Gallatin NF).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like the three pieces in the GNF are off by themselves and not even part of the main NF. I haven't looked at many of the other pieces being listed as 'potential'.

Nonetheless, I don't like this precedent either, i.e. settling a debt for mismanagement (on a gross scale, mind you).

I was involved many years ago in the 'transition' of public lands to private hands in the Los Padres National Forest in California and it worked out to the benefit of all concerned--public and private. This may have been, and probably was, an exception to the rule, but I don't think sale of Public Land per se is all bad.

There are many, many parcels of 'public lands' that are inconsequential and it seems to me if these can be put to better use in private hands then they should be, and there's no reason that conservation easements shouldn't be placed on these parcels. After all, most of this country was public at one time.

I'll write my letter because I DO NOT like this particular piece of legislation.

Thanks Roseann for bringing it to our attention.

Allen

DesertRose

Good points - and I've been confused every day over which parcels - here in AZ, they have changed the maps and "potential" parcels twice. I looked back at the MT map and now it's changed from when I looked at it a couple days ago. I'm a cynic - I think certain wealthy FOA (friends of the administration) already know what they want and if the bill went through we'd see other parcels/changes . . .

We're not against swapping public lands - I've worked on quite a few swaps that made sense. A piece of BLM land that's isolated, swapped for a parcel of private land that adds to an existing conservation area, for example. The cruddy part of all those swaps is that all of the ones I worked on (as a conservationist) were initiated by developers with a lot of power. For example, one we started out supporting was for a developer to swap his very nice parcels next to Ironwood NM and Las Cienegas NCA for some BLM land just outside Tucson in the "growth footprint." Makes sense. But at the last minute they added an entire section of land way up by the Gila River by Florence - an entire section! - of gorgeous desert, on which they wanted to build a satellite city. We ended up killing the whole deal - nobody wanted to create a new town with 50,000 people up there! (Guess who was involved? Bruce Babbitt and our own Donald Diamand, who has scraped and bladed more desert than any human down here, including KB Homes).

Anyway, you're right: the precedent of just cashing out to pay debt or some other program is wrong. If we give up public land in one place, we should get more in another, and if it's for the profit of individuals, the public should get a nicer piece of land!

And Chuck - as for Nature Conservancy buying it, I think they're now out of the land-buying business, at least in AZ. Did you know they started talking about SELLING a couple their preserves even? Boy did that ever piss off the Ladies That Lunch (that's what we call those doyens of philanthropy who spend their time going to lunch, shopping and writing checks for causes - one had written a $50,000 check to TNC for one of those preserves to be bought 20 years ago, and she threatened to sue!). Talk about a mess....

flywgn

Explorer
desertgirl66 said:
Here's a crazy thing I just read---the Grand Canyon National Park is proposing a "theme park" right near Mather Point! ...Pretty unbelievable information--hopefully this is a hoax :confused:

I believe that this might be just a prank. Look at some of the names:
Joe Allstunned, Mary O'Hugme...and if that's not enough, don't forget that today is April 1, what the French call jour de poisson. You just might have 'taken the bait'. :jump:

Nevertheless, it's a cleverly written article intermixing real comments with spoof. Thought provoking, I might add.

flywgn

Explorer
Isn't that great? As I was first reading the article and got caught up in the moment and my hackles went up. "What right does the NPS have to do this to...???" Then, it was the name "O'Hugme" that gave me the first clue.

It reminded me of the great hoax Sports Illustrated perpetrated on the public 15 or 20 years ago. An article about some phenomenally good baseball pitcher who 'bowled' the ball cricket style. The article took in a huge number of persons...this person included.

It's all good.

Happy April Fool's Day! :clapsmile

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Nope.....that's not me.

I think it's some guy that got too close to a campfire in the Natl. Forest without a "Campfire Permit"....!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior