USA-CAN-USA, July 2017 (16 US states and 4 Canadian provinces)

Moab today...

Canyonlands National Park
25jdu8p.jpg

1568hgk.png

rcew.png

Dead Horse Point State Park
fla4o0.jpg

2up2tqv.jpg

9bkgmx.png

Gemini Bridges trail
2e6cufl.jpg

23ia0pl.jpg

x205cm.jpg

2labqlw.png

Last edited:
Drove from Moab to Telluride today. Got there filled up with gas, aired down my tires and hit the trail. The QX did just pretty good. The trail was so impressed with the QX, it gave the QX a permanent scar, that I reluctantly approved of.

Imogene Pass
j9u782.jpg

9i6b03.jpg

2yl0boy.png

nn4lc1.jpg

Unfortunately there was a rollover today at the summit. The good thing is occupants were not injured. fatalities. 3 occupants in the vehicle; dad, mom and kid. I came up to the accident when they had been rushed to the hospital. Tow truck driver and cops were trying to pull the FJ out.
iwln45.jpg

2wn2wdk.jpg

be8tmu.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
You just get a Sharpie out to identify where the scar came from. I'm not to sure how those people drove off of that bridge?

You just get a Sharpie out to identify where the scar came from. I'm not to sure how those people drove off of that bridge?

I got to this accident scene about 30 minutes or so after it had happened. So, I met someone driving a FJ who told me what happened. From what I can remember, he said there were about 10 FJs. They just finished a trail. About to cross the bridge when someone came flying from the opposite direction causing this FJ to move out of the way and getting close to the bridge. And when he tried to correct it, it was too late. It was a slow fall.

That is what I can remember.

So the other FJs all went to the rescue and got the 3 occupants from the toppled FJ.

unkamonkey

Explorer
You are having fun so that is all that matters. Back when I lived in Glenwood Springs I drove a lot of those places in my old '64 VW. Myself and others were shocked at where you could get it.
Alright, sometimes you did need to fix some bent parts.

You are having fun so that is all that matters. Back when I lived in Glenwood Springs I drove a lot of those places in my old '64 VW. Myself and others were shocked at where you could get it.
Alright, sometimes you did need to fix some bent parts.

The trails in Ouray were a lot of fun. Imogene Pass was not easy. Too rocky, tight with drops offs. I started the trail at 6:30am and got to the top at 8am where 4 Jeeps were there and boy were they shocked to see my Infiniti. They said never would they think someone with such a luxury vehicle in all stock form would venture up Imogene Pass because of how bad and rocky it is. We talked, took pictures and it was time to go downhill now into Ouray.

I by passed about 20 Toyota FJs, 4Runners and Tacomas all going up the Summit. Some of them knew they would see me on the trails and some were outright surprised to see this vehicle on the trail. And I will not lie, the trail rocked my car, I hit the bottom and took a wrong line on a very steep drop where I scraped by front and rear bumper. But my Infiniti took it all with stride. I will get that bumper buffed and repainted someday. Till then, love seeing the battle scar.

Black Bear Pass was very easy compared to what I encountered on Imogene Pass. Black Bear was easy because I drove only to the top of the pass and back down. I did not do the switchbacks, which is the part that is considered hard and scary. And I did not do that part because I did not have another vehicle to go with me and spot for me.

I met a lot of people on the trails, talked to tons of complete strangers who just enjoyed sharing stories of trials, travels and cool adventures.

Last edited:
Today, drove 9 hours from Ouray, CO to Pinedale, WY. Spending the night at a airbnb and tomorrow going to visit and do the whole of Teton National Park.

The drive today was uneventful. But 191 from Vernal, UT was pretty scenic.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Alright. I was down in Telluride for a Jazz fest and I was hauling 2 women with me. And I punched a hole in my gas tank in my 1951 Chevy. We limped back to town and I parked out in front of a house so I could repair the tank. The women were invited inside and the old guy was a retired Welsh miner. Sometimes you meet some of the best people out there.

Drove 2 hours today to Grand Teton National Park. What a sight.
2pzzaqc.jpg

The most photographed barn at the park and an icon
2v9up6p.jpg

25stzj6.png

2nu387r.png

2vmtxxc.png

Chapel of the Sacred Heart. Nice quiet church.
rrpj6t.jpg

Chapel of Transfiguration
r89xdy.jpg

2whmus9.jpg

jg1jwk.jpg

Last edited:
Today I did the whole of Grand Teton National Park. It was truly an experience. Then it was time to get into Yellow Stone and drive to our hotel in Gardiner, MT.

Yellowstone is about 138 square miles. Driving from the south to the north, a distance of only about 150 miles took me over 4 hours. The speed limit is 45 and worse when traffic confront of you meets wildlife. Then it becomes almost a standstill with people stepping out to take pictures.

People have been warned time and again not to get very close to the wild animals. But all the animals we saw, people got to arms length with the animals to take selfies or have friends or family take their pictures. Luckily I did not see any animal attacks.

2q38xtw.jpg

On my way to hotel, I stopped watch Old Faithful erupt. It was quite an experience. I mean, we all have watched it on YouTube or other shows so many times that I was not surprised when it erupted. But it was just the feeling of being there that made it feel different. The anticipation was fun as people started the wave and that entertained the crowd and turned into cheers when the geyser started erupting.
2ls4tg.jpg

2da0r9u.png

People getting too close to the animals. And basically cornering them, which easily can put them in a state of defence since they have no escape route. So, they may easily charge at the tourists. But no animal charged at tourists even thought they were too close to them.
erlsah.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan