Used 200-Series or Tundra or 4Runner or....?

canyonrider

Looking for a little advice on a purchasing a new-to-us vehicle for family travel duties. We currently have a 2009 4Runner V6 with 115K on the clock and third-row seats. The main purpose of this vehicle is camping, road trips, and weekend skiing in the Colorado Rockies and western U.S. Not looking for a rock crawler or any serious wheeling, but we are often far off the beaten path in SW Colorado and southern Utah on fairly rough USFS/BLM roads. This is technically a daily driver as well, but doesn't get much use during the week as I often bike commute.

The 4Runner has been awesome for all of this, but earlier this year we purchased a fiberglass camper and have quickly discovered that pulling the camper plus bikes plus gear for four people in the mountains on a regular basis with the V6 is way less-than-optimal. Dry weight of the camper is around 3000 lbs.

So I'm looking at swapping the V6 4Runner for a V8 Toyota. Primary goals are adequate power for towing in the mountains, reliability, low maintenance costs, great 4WD, and enough space for camping gear. We very rarely transport more than four people, so a third row is nice but not necessary. I seem to have narrowed it down to a used 2008-10 Land Cruiser, 2008-12ish Tundra, or possibly a 4th gen 4Runner with a V8. What I'm trying to figure out: is the 200-series worth the additional cost over a Tundra or v8 T4R? From what I've seen I could get something from the early 200-series years with around 100K miles in good shape for $35K. A similar age Tundra or 4Runner could easily save me at least $10-15K, but there is something about the Land Cruiser that seems well-suited to a mix of interstate/offroad/winter/family travel.

Is it crazy to burn the extra money on a Land Cruiser if I'm not doing any real four-wheeling? Are the 200s with over 100K still as reliable as earlier generations? What other options am I missing? (Don't say Sequoia, too bloated for me even though I'm sure it tows well. Even compared to the 200-series.)

Upland80

Adventurer
I think you'll start pushing yourself further out there with a LC. It becomes kind of a lifestyle, which is a good thing IMO. The 200 is an excellent machine and gets my vote every time.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Should look at the sequoia as well. Don't think it's any bigger than a 200 series. It just looks bigger.
1st gen tundra looks bigger than a 2nd gen taco but it really isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Is there any reason you aren't looking at later, low mileage 100 series as well? If it was me, I would rather get a 2005+ 100 series with under 150K for ~$20K than any of the other options. All are great vehicles and I don't think you can go wrong. But I think from a value perspective, you can get the overbuilt quality of a LC but save a bunch over the 200 series. I'm sure the 200 series has some improvements (aesthetics not being one of them), but I would have a hard time justifying the price increase.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Re: Sequoia vs. 200 - light duty vs. heavy duty. Crawl underneath and compares things like control arms, steering linkage, etc. For some the Sequoia is a compromise,for others it's a great option.

Re: 100 vs 200 - Both are fantastic platforms but the 200 has roughly 50% more HP, far better front suspension and a 6sps trans that dominates both the clunky 4spd and even the later 100 5spd. The clear winner just comes down to your budget IMO

canyonrider

Good thoughts, thanks. The newer generation Sequoia is nearly a foot longer and 500 lbs heavier than a 200 series. If I'm going that big I think I would rather go with a Tundra, which seem to be cheaper when comparing similar miles and vintages.

The 100 series is a great idea and was actually what I started out looking at, and I haven't ruled it out. But I'm finding them tough to find in good shape, and am also concerned about the lack of power for mountain towing. The numbers are higher than my V6 but it's also a bunch heavier. Which makes the V8 4Runner more appealing to me from that standpoint.

DMax82

Have you considered a Lexus GX460/470? They are incredibly solid, do great off-road, and have a strong V8. The streamlined body is also nice. I just bought a 2005 with 138k, one owner for $10,500. The great thing is that most of them have really been babied and have never been taken off the pavement.

canyonrider

Have you considered a Lexus GX460/470? They are incredibly solid, do great off-road, and have a strong V8. The streamlined body is also nice. I just bought a 2005 with 138k, one owner for $10,500. The great thing is that most of them have really been babied and have never been taken off the pavement.

Yes. Agree on all counts that it's a good option. The only issue is the barn rear door, which I think will be a pain with our trailer. That said, maybe I should break out the measuring tape to confirm.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
The 3 are very different, other than manufacturer.

If all the same price tier, my 1st choice would be the 200. LC is a class of vehcile by itself.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Yes. Agree on all counts that it's a good option. The only issue is the barn rear door, which I think will be a pain with our trailer. That said, maybe I should break out the measuring tape to confirm.

The barn door can get in the way when towing. Obviously it just depends on the tongue length and obstructions on the tongue.

I have a 2005 GX470. It is powerful, but the suspension and barn door are big minuses in my book. I got it when I grew tired of finding the right 100 series. In hindsight, I would have rather had a 4th gen 4Runner. But I would rather have just waited for the right 100 series. I will say I came real close to trading it for a 2005+ Sequoia a couple times but couldn't make the deal. I was never real fond of the Sequoia, but after shopping them was really impressed with how they drive. Not near the quality of a LC, but an impressive package and a very good value. Every bit as comfortable as my GX470.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If your setting up base camp via trailer. I think the 4dr Tundra used with cap gives a nice value plus a gear garage for bikes etc. The difference between 07 Tundra and a new one is so small I wouldnt buy new. Just know they suck gas. A GM truck will return better mileage if that matters. I sold a LC and bought a 06 Sequoia. I like the space and wheel base length better especially for towing stability. Its actually pretty good off road. No LC, but its a far better highway rig and tow rig than the LC was.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind the GX is just a powder puff version of the 4runner. The wheel base length its width and height I passed given it would make for a twitchy tow rig. The wider and longer Sequoia/Tundra and/or wider LC are far far nicer regarding towing stability and passenger comfort.

The Sequoia is like a scaled up 4runner. I like it very stable maching on the highway. My 4runner I actually sold it after getting up on two wheels trying to avoid a gravel truck in mid accident on the highway.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I'd want the 5.7 for towing, especially in the mountains. We road tripped up into Oregon last June with a borrowed 23' trailer. It was a little heavier than what you say yours is but the going was slow and mileage was poor. That was in my '07 LX470. So my vote is for either the Tundra or the 200.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The LC /LX seems to be tuned really mellow also. My 4.7L Sequoia has a far more aggressive factory tune than the V8 Landcruisers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78