Used 4Wheel Campers: Mounting?

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I'm going to look at a used Grandby and I'd like to understand the mounting process. I think the mounting is different on those campers from regular slide-ins, right?

What does the hardware look like? What should I make sure is included with the sale, or what do I need to purchase from 4WC?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Typically, there are 4 eye bolts on the camper (1 per corner), 1 eye bolts in each corner of the bed, with either a turnbuckle or a ratchet strap at each corner.

Be sure that you use either cast eye bolts, or weld the loop shut if you use the "wrapped wire" (more common) version. Some people have pulled the eye out far enough on the wrapped variant that the turnbuckle would fall off.

The eye bolts on the camper will probably stay with the camper - but the eye bolts in the bed may or may not go with it.

Some of the FWCs were literally bolted to the bed (4 bolts through the floor). Mine was originally that way, & I've seen at least one new one that way too. These were both "permanent" installations (at least until they sold the campers).

If you're just talking about getting it home - just run a ratchet strap over the top and cinch it down.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Yup the standard is as Goodtimes stated, 4 eyebolts on the camper and 4 in the bed corners turn buckles in between, though I've seen ratchet straps used instead, the old ones were 4 bolts through the floor. My Grandby is not mounted that way I have the Rieco Tripod jack system except I have them on all 4 corners and secured my Grandby on the outside running the turn buckles from the mounting hole on the jack mounts to my Happijack mounts on the front of the bed and rear bumper. The reason is simple, my Grandby is older and does not have the front access hatches easily accessible for inside mounting and I already had the Happijack mounts on the truck. You probably could do the same thing with any of the corner jack mounts and the standard outside bed mount systems.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Okay, thanks.

The camper is currently on a trailer, so I'll be able to get it home on that (I presume). Otherwise, it will be pretty awkward, since I haven't yet sold the shell that's on the back now!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Bajajoaquin,

I bought my old Callen from Valley Camper sales in Escondido. They have the forklift equipment to mount/dismount and at the time a consignment program.

CKent323

I have a 1984 FWC Keystone and there are only 2 eyebolts. One on each side slightly forward of center. There is no evidence of any other eye bolts and everything looks original to me. The previous owner mounted it in four places through the floor and I did the same thing using large carriage bolts They have large diameter slightly rounded, llow profile heads) with double nuts and lock washers.

My new(er) 2009 Keystone has 4 eyebolts (two on each side, one front and one back) and I attach those to eyebolts in the bed of my truck with turnbuckles.

In both cases I noted that the floor of the truck bed is a thin sheet of metal so I went to Home Deport and bought 4 inch square backing plates to go under the bed between the double nut /lock washer and the bed of the truck.

Regards,

Craig

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Okay, thanks.

The camper is currently on a trailer, so I'll be able to get it home on that (I presume). Otherwise, it will be pretty awkward, since I haven't yet sold the shell that's on the back now!

Ive had mine on a trailer a time or two to pull behind my expedition due to the need for more seats. Worked ok for me.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
So I looked at the Grandby this weekend, and I think that it's just a bit too small for me. The other issue is that I don't like the layout. I don't like the bench on one side and the cabinets on the other. In a wider camper, you can put a settee on one side. On Alaskans (and the optional Grandby layout) you can have a forward settee. Unfortunately, $30k for a new flatbed Grandby is out of the question right now.

I'll keep the search going, though. I think I may be looking for an 8' Alaskan cabover. They are few and far between around here, though. And then finding one for near my $5k budget, in good shape..... well I may have to do some driving.

And Regcabguy, I called Valley Camper, and they no longer do consignment. They may be interested in buying my shell for resale, however. And they'll charge $150 to swap my camper over onto a new truck, so that solves my issue of how I was going to make the swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior