Used dslr questions

XpeditonTERRA

I have an Olympus tough and as much as I love that rugged waterproof camera and as good as the image quality is, I have been wanting a dslr. Because of how expensive they are I think my only option is to buy a used one. I found a Canon Rebel T3 12.2 MP($399), a Nikon D3100 ($225 w/ no lense), and a Sony A230($250). Do any of these stand out as a better deal. I have researched and found very good reviews on the D3100.
But what is the support like for it(lenses, batteries,)?

Also what should I look for when checking out a used camera. Is there anything to beware of?

I don't know a lot about dslr cameras but I am learning so any help will be appreciated.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I have an Olympus tough and as much as I love that rugged waterproof camera and as good as the image quality is, I have been wanting a dslr. Because of how expensive they are I think my only option is to buy a used one. I found a Canon Rebel T3 12.2 MP($399), a Nikon D3100 ($225 w/ no lense), and a Sony A230($250). Do any of these stand out as a better deal. I have researched and found very good reviews on the D3100.
But what is the support like for it(lenses, batteries,)?

Also what should I look for when checking out a used camera. Is there anything to beware of?

I don't know a lot about dslr cameras but I am learning so any help will be appreciated.

Generally one of the advantages of dslrs is compatibility of lenses (within a brand/mounting system). First, I'm a Nikon guy, so I can speak to that with a bit more authority, but I'm not going to advocate on Nikon vs. Canon. That's a huge can of worms I don't want to open, but I believe Canon has been similarly consistent as Nikon, so most of what I say will apply within either family. Sorry, I don't know much about the Sony stuff.

Anyhow, with very few exceptions, just about ANY Nikon-compatible slr/dslr lens will "work" on any Nikon body. There are some finer points like "will the auto-focus/auto-metering/vibration-reduction/auto-etc. work on a particular combo, but unless you're mixing very old or oddball lenses with low-end or old-ish bodies, even that isn't much of a concern anymore. Full details here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

One of the break-over items for Nikon between their "pro" vs. "pro-sumer" vs. "hobby/consumer" bodies is the stuff like "Is there an autofocus motor in the camera body?" If the answer is No, then you only have autofocus when the lens has its own motor (most new ones do). One of the reasons we bought a D90 back in the day instead of the D3100 was because we had a LARGE collection of 15-20 year old Nikon lenses that were right in that zone where the lenses didn't have their own motor. The D90 had a body-motor, the D3100 did not, as I recall. Decision made.

This points to the other thing that happens once you start down the SLR/DSLR path: Lens "Lock-in". You tend to get a collection of lenses, so it's cheaper to stay within a family so you can keep using those lenses. As I said, we have some old specialty lenses (like a 500mm macro lens and some VERY fast prime (non-zoom) lenses that have been in the family since the 35mm days, so it makes sense to stick with what you've got.

The other thing you'll have to decide if you care about (I don't) or just be aware of, is the notion of "Full Frame" (FX) vs. "Crop Frame" (DX) sensors. The best pro-level DSLRs use a sensor that is the same size as a full frame of 35mm film. Less expensive cameras use a smaller sensor, and adjust the optics inside so that it shoots the same image with a "crop". The result for the user is hard to tell unless you're looking at full-frame RAW data for equal-megapixel sensors (i.e. a full-frame 12MP vs. a crop-frame 12MP), but there is one important side effect: The "crop factor". As I said, the cameras with smaller sensors compensate by adjusting the internal optics - this works in concert with the attached lens. If you have a Film/FX lens and Body, everything is jake. If you have a DX lens and body, fine. If you have a lens made for an FX/Film on a DX body, there is a resulting scaling factor equal to the difference in size of the sensor vs. full frame. More info on crop factor: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx.htm

My D90, for example, is a DX with a 1.5x crop factor. The net effect is this: When I use this body with my old 500mm film lens, the equivalent focal length is 1.5x the lens rating, or 750mm! I have a Tamron 18-270mm zoom that is effectively a 27mm-405mm, etc. This can be a plus, (free extra "zoom" on your telephoto lenses!), but comes with a bit of extra baggage, and can be a pain if you're looking for a really short focal length for specific purposes. You'll have to decide if this matters to you. It doesn't affect my shooting much, and I've added an extra lens or two to the collection for the rare time that it matters (like a DX-specific F1.8 "portrait" lens), but otherwise I just keep it in my head and go. The one thing I WOULDN'T do is make a huge investment in DX lenses, because you run into other focal-length issues going the other way if you decide to upgrade to an FX body later.

Regarding "accessory" support - everything but batteries (and a few interface cables) are fully interchangeable across many-decades worth of Nikon stuff. I wouldn't sweat availability of batteries as anything Nikon doesn't still sell will definitely be supported by the aftermarket - there's just SO many of these things still in use.

Lastly, since you're on a budget, I'd advocate you make yourself aware of the concept of the "kit lens". These are the (generally) inexpensive lenses that come bundled with camera bodies. Generally there's one prime and one mid-grade zoom. These work fine, and will get the job done, but they aren't fantastic. There's two ways to look at this. You can see these as mediocre lenses to avoid when shopping - focus on getting the body that meets your needs then buy quality lenses specifically for what you're going to shoot. - OR - look at these as a bargain opportunity. Lots of people who get the "kits" end up upgrading to better specialty lenses later on. They buy a faster prime lens, or a zoom with a bigger range, etc. They may be willing to part with their original kit lenses for a bargain price. Take 'em or leave 'em, but you need to know they're out there until you get a better handle on what you "need" in a lens.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The problem with the 3100 is it auto focus with limited selection of lenses - http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3100/compatibility02.htm

You can find all the lenses you want, but just know what to look for!

I have not used the 3100, I used a T3 for a couple of days, and didn't like the noise at higher ISO - but to be fair, the other camera I was using at the time was a 5d mkII.

Of these three, I would buy the 3100 and use the extra $$ for a couple of lenses -

I think the T4 and 7100 are both major steps up!

Buying used - shutter count is the major thing folks talk about, but with consumer level cameras, I doubt most use them enough that there would be a high count without obvious wear... I would shoot a couple of pictures wide open and stopped down 2 stops and look at the images on your computer. I did this in a camera shop and had to "test" 8 50mm f1.4 lenses to find one I would accept.

Good luck!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I forgot to add on the subject of buying used: If you're really worried about the condition of the camera, ask the seller to meet you at your local camera shop and have them check it for you before buying. You're going to want to make friends with the shop at some point anyway (you'll need advice, a repair, or more gear). This is one good way to make sure you don't end up with something seriously messed up.

They'll probably offer you a cleaning or other service (either free or not, depending on what's done), up to you whether you want to have work done on something you've just bought.

Sirocco

Explorer
Some of the older kit lenses were actually very good.

The 18-70mm dx that came with the D70s is fantastic, not sure about the later 18-55mm though.

I can personally recommend the 18-200mm for travel alongside the Sigma 10-20mm F4. The 70-300mm VR for wildlife/sports etc is a great lens also.

G

oner0002

If you are buying used, definitely check the shutter count. I wouldn't buy anything with more than 50,000 shots. There are programs online that let you see the EXIF data. Or if you can shoot RAW, you can see the shot count in Photoshop under File Info, Raw Data.

Personally, I would try to buy a new body (on sale or closeout) and save your money by buying good used lenses.

Also consider going mirrorless, the cameras can be cheaper and are 1/2 the size of a DSLR setup.

If you really want dust and water protection, you'll have to go high-end DSLR or Mirrorless (Fuji xt1 or Olympus OMD EM5/EM1).

For research, my favorite places are: http://cameralabs.com/ and http://www.dxomark.com/.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Yeah... The newer Nikons with no autofocus motor (3100 and I think the 5000 series) definitely limit your choice on some great used lenses. We still shoot D70's and love them. But the technology (processor power really) has come along so far now that if they ever replace the D300 with a newer model I'll probably lay down the big buck and buy one of those replacements (D400?).

XpeditonTERRA

Thanks for all the help. I found a Cannon T2i with the stock lens for 300 dollars. He said its less than a year old. Do you think this is a good deal?

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I owned a Sony A230. Great camera and really great image quality. Many people will say that you need a DSLR and a trailer full of lenses to go with it. I was tired of carrying an intermediate zoom lens, a long zoom 210mm+ lens and a macro lens on hikes. All that gear at 10,000 feet starts to add up. I sold my DSLR a few years ago now and use a Canon sx40 exclusively: Canon SX50 50x zoom equal to a 1200 mm lens. http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs all the photos on this site :http://www.wildpanoramic.com were taken with a Canon SX40 or SX50.

photo_i

Explorer
Thanks for all the help. I found a Cannon T2i with the stock lens for 300 dollars. He said its less than a year old. Do you think this is a good deal?

It's not so much about the age of camera as about number of shutter clicks it made. Usually you can ask for it from the seller and decide on that.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Used DSLRs are fine. Usually they were bought for some house wife who took a few photos with it and never used it to its full potential. External condition might look a little used but usually extremely low shutter count.

Most of my gear is used. Either bought 2nd hand or from KEH. Both are good sources. KEH has done good work for me as well, replaced the shutter in one of my DSLRs. I scan their website looking at FX equipment from time to time.

But yeah, don't be afraid to go used. Just buyer beware, check shutter count and general operation once you meet for the transaction. Otherwise, do a comparison between the different models to determine what you want. The internet can help you with that. Personally I'd say stick with either Canon or Nikon. Also throw the extra money down and get a decent body. Better ergonomics, bigger image buffer, and more FPS are all handy. Or at least in my opinion.

JackW

Explorer
KEH is good people - I have bought from them on numerous occasions and never been disappointed - their rating system is conservative - "excellent" to them is "like new" anywhere else.

Most of my equipment has been bought used - the lone exception is my 24-70 F2.8 lens which is my most used piece of gear. I've been a Canon shooter since the 1970's and like their stuff.

I shoot primarily with an older Canon 1DSMkII 16MP full frame pro body that I bought used several years ago - it was an $8,000 body when new and I paid less than 1/4 of that in excellent condition.

I also picked up a 1D MkII 1.4 crop body for $400 last year. These pro level Canons are heavy but they are fabulous tools and you know if you shoot a bad picture its your fault - great teaching instruments.

Used is the way to go - spend your money on good glass - Canon "L" Series and have fun.

Peachtree Camera off the 120 loop in Marietta is a family owned camera repair business that many working pros in Atlanta use - Allen McEver is a well loved fixer of broken cameras.

Mike at Wings Camera can do a quick functional check of a camera for you if you want to meet on neutral ground for a private sale - that where I met several Craigslist leads when I was buying used equipment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger