Used Icon FJ45

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Why spend 85k on it? I'd take that money, buy a fully restored V8 original model and have it be way cooler. The guys on MUD build the OG fj cruisers into beasts.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Is it me or does it look like the emblem is not weathering well...??

image_thumb.php

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Every time someone mentions Icon vehicles I roll my eyes.
I mean, they are built well, and look great, but they aren't built out of gold...

Real4x4

That kind of price is over the top, for that kind of rig. I could professionally build up and offer a G-class or Pinzgauer for less.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Every time someone mentions Icon vehicles I roll my eyes.
I mean, they are built well, and look great, but they aren't built out of gold...

People are buying them though, no?
Build it and they *might* come...In ICON's case, some have.

It is interesting IMHO what the market will bear.

zimm

Expedition Leader
That kind of price is over the top, for that kind of rig. I could professionally build up and offer a G-class or Pinzgauer for less.

pics?

wards trucks are over the top with the coatings and such. i dont see the use in it, but i wont say that level of construction doesnt cost money. ECR's stuff is mucho bucks too, but im betting his net is higher for what is produced.

i think a good side by side of an icon vs an ecr would be interesting.

Real4x4

Who cares how much it costs. People are buying them and enjoying them, so the value is determined by the buyer, not the spectator. . .

Yes but buyers deserve others experience-based opinions to possibly help reflect on what they may be getting into. I will always offer mine for free, like it or not. ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
Yes but buyers deserve others experience-based opinions to possibly help reflect on what they may be getting into. I will always offer mine for free, like it or not. ;)

Experienced based opinions are quite valuable. Saying that something is too expensive without having ever seen it, tested it or sufficiently researched it only serves the critic (i.e., their ego), not the reader.

How expensive something is proves to be irrelevant. What is relevant is the value of the item, i.e., is the item a fair value or sufficiently rare or unique to demand a premium.

Something is only too expensive if no one will buy it. There is simply no other measurement. If you or I cannot afford it, or choose not to buy it, that is not an indicator.

People buy Icon vehicle, therefore they are priced correctly- simple.

The problem is, Scott, is that I'll never be able to have that vehicle in my lifetime. I would like to own and drive something like that, but it'll never be an Icon unless the stock market crashes and people lose their wealth there, the currency collapses, hearing aid batteries are no longer available, and fresh fruit all year around to support my vegan eating is no longer available, and energy for AC/heat at home become scarce during the hard part of the seasons. I don't want that to happen, so no, I have to pass on the Icon because I'll never be able to have one.

I'll look for something that is more reasonable. What I don't understand is these mentalities that have no clue as to the value of a dollar - I'd rather have several similar vehicles to drive for a total of $85k than ONE vehicle for that much. However, I do have experience from my Mom, who came from that walk of life. "You must simply have the best. Only the best will do, otherwise the quality is just not that good if it's cheaper. It's cheap." Mom found out in the last 20 years of her life that this was not always necessarily the case, that you could have a good product if you had reasonable wages, kept costs low and to a minimum, and paid good attention to detail and keep variation on the assembly line to a reasonable minimum. That is NOT the case with many high-end manufacturing companies. Granted, they may make some good products, but it seems that the cost of operations is way out of line.

But it would be nice if Icon offered different trim levels, from very affordable to "no-expenses-spared." I guess my complaint is that this is supposed to be a mechanically simple truck, much easier to manufacture compared to modern cars that have things that Icon would not have to deal with on vintage vehicles, like airbags, computers for every single thing, never mind 3-D curving of body parts like on today's vehicles. You could buy two completely restored Scout IIs for that money. I mean everything is properly sealed, painted, cured, proper IH-specific labels/decals are made and installed in the factory locations, etc. Complete frame-offs, in other words. You'd think Navistar went back into the light-line business as International Harvester.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78