Using an EMCOMM or Go Box as a flexible comm solution?

zuren

Adventurer
Does anyone here use a radio in their vehicle that is mounted in a "Go Box", "Go Kit", "Jump Kit" or "EMCOMM" (emergency communication) box? Something like pictured below:

CIMG2277.JPG

http://www.hawaiirepeaters.net/radiokit/black/rick.html

Gary's%20go%20kit4_small.jpg

http://www.northbrevardarc.org/gokits3.htm

I have a Yaesu FT-7900R that I'm finally looking to install. I was planning a permanent mount in my van but this brush with Hurricane Irene is making me consider a more portable solution. With the addition of a power supply and building a case like above, I could use the radio at home to monitor radio traffic during emergencies as well as have a self contained storage solution that I could hook up in the van. I'm just curious if anyone has done something similar.

Thanks!

Last edited:

nvprospector

Adventurer
I have a FT-7900 in a Go Box that I built. I got a second face for the radio so when it is in the vehicle I attach the face and external speaker that is hard mounted in the truck, then when in a mobile configuration I use the other face that I keep in the case. I built a mounting system in the truck so the case locks in place, kind of like the in cab camera systems in police cars. It is a good setup and the way I have it configured I always have a charged mobile station. If at a location for a while I also have it setup to except solar so I don't have to run the truck to charge or operate. The system is also setup so I can charge and run the laptop off the power supply and/or battery in the unit.

Expedition Leader
Having a go-box radio in your truck would be great for use in camp, but not so great for use in the vehicle while moving. I'm going to set up my mobile HF radio in a go-box just for that purpose - to use at night in camp. But for vehicle commo while moving, a radio mounted in the truck is the only way to go IMO. If you want/need the go-box for emergency service than by all means build one, but if you just want to be able to use a radio at your house and in your truck, it would be cheaper to just buy an inexpensive second radio for the house.

zuren

Adventurer
I have a FT-7900 in a Go Box that I built. I got a second face for the radio so when it is in the vehicle I attach the face and external speaker that is hard mounted in the truck, then when in a mobile configuration I use the other face that I keep in the case. I built a mounting system in the truck so the case locks in place, kind of like the in cab camera systems in police cars. It is a good setup and the way I have it configured I always have a charged mobile station. If at a location for a while I also have it setup to except solar so I don't have to run the truck to charge or operate. The system is also setup so I can charge and run the laptop off the power supply and/or battery in the unit.

This is almost exactly what I was considering! I kept my first post short but I also have the remote face kit for my radio. I could have all the wires hard mounted (antenna, 12v, remote face wire) in the van with the connections available somewhere, then the face can be plugged in up front when needed. Do you have any pics of your setup?

I agree that a traditional Go Box may not be the best while moving. I was thinking along the lines of what nvprospector describes. I don't know that I see myself buying multiple radios dedicated to home and vehicle. Another advantage of the Go Box is if I go hunting/fishing with friends and we take something other than my van, I could still bring this along. I'm considering all of my options but recently I'm leaning heavily toward the Go Box style with some custom touches for my needs and install.

Saratoga

Adventurer
I have previously used a regular plastic toolbox to hold the battery and radio (FT8800E). However because I am more likely to use it in the car I spent some time today and made up a proper system including split charge relay and suitable wiring and clamps that is dual purpose.

The power runs from the front to the rear via the split charge relay and the data and speaker cable runs forwards in the same channel; under the carpets next to the inner vehicle shell.

In the boot (trunk) behind the rear passenger side wheel and in front of the corner rear lights I have a .50 cal ammo tim. In it is a SLA 24ah battery mounted on its side with cabling running up to two Euro-type accessory sockets. One is for power for the radio and the other is power from the charging circuit.

The box is clamped to the base of the boot area under a clamp with a ratchet strap. Mounted on top of the box but with the strap under it is the FT8800E with the antenna socket facing towards the front. I felt it had the best access there so as not to mangle the connection.

The beauty of this setup is that I can just as easily detach it from the vehicle, move the head back onto the base and taking the antenna have some battery use available ;) Piccies to follow but it's quite a tidy and small event ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears