Using An Iphone Radio Ap?

greg mgm

Explorer
Wondering if anyone is using either an fm radio or another radio ap for an Iphone?
Which ap are you using, and how do you like it? I originally thought about a Sirius
add on for my truck radio, but an Iphone radio ap may fit the bill also.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Personally, I use TuneIn radio. It has local stations from around the world (including my favorites BBC World and BBC World London), has good audio quality and has been very reliable.

The problem with Smartphone apps is that they require data coverage and incur data usage. On most of my trips I like to go where there is no wireless coverage so I also have Sirius in the truck (at least up until the beginning of this month when I didn't renew - they raised the price AGAIN!).

Plus data piles up fast with audio streaming so the cost can get high fast unless you are on an unlimited plan.

Pete

greg mgm

Explorer
That looks like a good one to try. Are you using the free version? Wondering if ads show up on the free version. Thanks for the tip.
Completely forgot what data plan I had. Looked at my bill and saw "unlimited" so that's a good thing for this type of ap.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I'm using the full version. Never tried the free one so don't know about ads (I used to blog about apps so I have literally hundreds).

Unlimited is good. Whats nice about Tunein is that it has a built in usage meter so if your unlimited changes you can then track usage.

Pete

greg mgm

Explorer
Just downloaded Tunein and got it installed on my Iphone. I definitely like it.
Lots of stations to pick from, and the search function works great. I input NPR and it showed many stations to choose from, as well as tons of podcasts. Pretty cool ap. Thanks again Pete.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Glad you like it.

If you're not already a listener, give BBC World Service a listen. The hourly news is a perspective you just don't get anywhere else. You'll feel so much more educated about Africa and Asia.

Plus, there are a few comedy stations on there that are nice on trips :sombrero:

Pete

greg mgm

Explorer
OK, I'll try BBC World Service, thanks.

We used to have a comedy station in our wife's car (Sirius) but don't have access any more. It was fun listening to live comedians, even when they flopped. It was odd hearing all the cuss words on the radio. We got a laugh out of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears