Using Goal Zero Yeti 1400/3000 to power builds

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
This sounds like a sales pitch, and there is no real other way to do it. But i have been doing these systems for a bit now and I am a firm believer that the vast majority of people can get by with a Goal Zero Yeti 3000. So much so that we have designed and product an integration kit to make powering your entire van possible in one afternoon and just a few hours.

I have a 3000 in my personal van, and we have a 1400 in our shop van. It keeps the fridge going and a fan on low for circulation, with solar charging sitting in the parking lot for (the longest it sat) 6 days at 98%.

This is not a replacement for an all out battery system (which i can gladly spec for you), but for those that need low to medium power usage, it is a perfect solution that you can install in an afternoon.

We include everything you need, down to a preinstalled solar gland and solar connectors.

You will only need to crimp on a few terminals, but past that everything else is already crimped and taken care of!

Allows for alternator charging (60-70amps), shore power (25a) and we typically use 200 watts of solar (10-12a) in one nice package!

Let me know if you have any questions

EV6- Backwater-12 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
EV-2 Ribault by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
I ran a ARB 37 all summer using a yeti 1000 and two 30 watt boulders. If I used anything else I supplemented solar gathering with a boulder 100 but only as needed. This was on a wrangler. I would imagine if you had a van and ran at least 1 100 watt panel you would have more than enough input for the ARB.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I ran a ARB 37 all summer using a yeti 1000 and two 30 watt boulders. If I used anything else I supplemented solar gathering with a boulder 100 but only as needed. This was on a wrangler. I would imagine if you had a van and ran at least 1 100 watt panel you would have more than enough input for the ARB.
pretty much. if you have small to medium power usage these things are a perfect fit.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
pretty much. if you have small to medium power usage these things are a perfect fit.
I am hopefully going with a van shortly. I want to see the AWD Ford before I decide (transit or sprinter). I will use the yeti 1000 but I am thinking of using two 100 watt panels with a back up Nomad 100

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I am hopefully going with a van shortly. I want to see the AWD Ford before I decide (transit or sprinter). I will use the yeti 1000 but I am thinking of using two 100 watt panels with a back up Nomad 100
i would never use a 1000 because of the inability to do alternator charging

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Quick question on this - is this correct that the Yeti 3000 is not designed to work below 32F/0C? That seems to be a bit of a showstopper for me as I intend to use the van in the cold.

From their page:

• Operating usage temperature:32-104 F (0-40 C)

Cold Weather Usage: Cold temperatures (below freezing) can impact the Goal Zero Yeti’s battery capacity. If you’ll be out living off-grid in sub-zero conditions, we recommend keeping your Goal Zero Yeti in an insulated cooler, connected to a power source (solar panels), and charging your gear. The natural heat generated by the Goal Zero Yeti contained in an insulated cooler will keep battery capacity at its highest. The Yeti will not allow charging below freezing for safety reasons. The unit will warn show a warning on the LCD as you approach this temperature

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
All batteries have reduced output below freezing. In fact performance drops as the temperature goes down. Not changing below 0 is the bigger concern.

Chuck1

Quick question on this - is this correct that the Yeti 3000 is not designed to work below 32F/0C? That seems to be a bit of a showstopper for me as I intend to use the van in the cold.

Lipo battery's shouldn't be charged below 32 degrees, they are starting to add internal heaters on some of them, Battle Born should have the heated model out soon or now, within 2-3 years i bet most of systems will have it.

Lithium Titanate is a chemistry that can handle the cold and can take more charges but it still expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998