Using Jeep Frame as Foundation for Camping Trailer?

97tjguzzy

Explorer
i would highly suggest building your own frame, we were able to build ours so that the tub sits lower than it would with a stock frame and we still have more ground clearance. plus you can mount your tank up higher and put it infront of the axle if you want.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
If your Yj frame in in good-exc cond. Your better off to sell it. I got $500 out of a perfect 95 frame 2 mths ago and can sell as many as I can get. $500 will go a long way on your build. I built a nice frame for my trailer out of 2x3 ret tubing 3/16 wall. The frame will be stronger and one piece (not a chop and hack of a stock frame) If you don't want to waste time fabbing spring mounts 4wd hardware sells a spring mount kit to put the factory YJ CJ rear sprins on your custom frame. (I used grand waggy hangars and stuff off one I parted out) The 3500 lb braked axle is a good choice.

Last edited:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
If your Yj frame in in good-exc cond. Your better off to sell it. I got $500 out of a perfect 95 frame 2 mths ago and can sell as many as I can get. $500 will go a long way on your build. I built a nice frame for my trailer out of 2x3 ret tubing 3/16 wall. The frame will be stronger and one piece (not a chop and hack of a stock frame) If you don't want to waste time fabbing spring mounts 4wd hardware sells a spring mount kit to put the factory YJ CJ rear sprins on your custom frame. (I used grand waggy hangars and stuff off one I parted out) The 3500 lb braked axle is a good choice.

I'd sell mine for $500. My frame is in excellent condition, though it isn't stock. It has the front crossmember modified for a sunken 8274 winch, the front shock mounts have been replaced by Currie coil over mounts and the rear crossmember (above the gas tank) has been modified to raise the tank 4 inches. It also has motor mounts for a 5.0 Ford, transmission mount for an AOD and flat skid plate.

I think this makes it harder to sell though the modifications are well done. It is not a simple switch for most folks.

Locally, I know someone who had a YJ frame in excellent condition for sale for over a year for only $100. Never did sell. Not sure what he did with it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
My trailer frame is actually the back half of an FJ55 Land Cruiser, not because it was what I needed or wanted, because its what I had to choose from. I could have gone with an FJ40 frame for ease of mounting to the tub but then I had to salvage a good FJ40 frame... at the time we had a stack of FJ55 frames sitting there so the decision we pretty easy.

Would I do it again? Well, sorta. I was in a hurry to get it mobile. It was approaching the winter of 2001 and I needed to be able to move parts with it. I could have fabbed up a quick and dirty utility trailer (or just bought a $200 used utility trailer) but I had the idea in the back of my mind for an off-road trailer and so this could temporarily kill two birds with one stone. I was also just finishing my FJ40 so time and money were short... I literally made this frame in a couple of hours, the leaf springs & shackles were set and in place. Some minor provisions for the tub mounting and I was set. It would have taken FAR more time to build an actual frame from scratch, even with our full fab facility 8 hours is more realistic by the time you had it to where I was in just a few hours.

Fast forward. I've been toying with updating my trailer. Its getting pretty hammered, has been brushed up against rocks and sat outside through 8 years of Utah's cold winters and hot summers. The paint is beat, the frame is pitted from a constant barrage of rocks and my needs have changed a bit over the years. I've thought about starting 100% from scratch, but I really like the FJ40 look and given that this tub is actuall fiberglass it is amazingly light, my whole trailer is under 500 lbs as setup. Much of that weight is likely the way overkill frame, so if I keep the tub I will likely go with a much more proportionate frame with cleaner mounting and a lower profile.

What will I gain? Honestly in my setup I would be really hard pressed to save even 50 lbs with a completely fresh frame, that is alot of time & work for a 50 lb savings. The functionalitly of the trailer will not change a bit with the upgraded frame, there is really nothing lacking now. Aesthetics is where I stand to gain the most... for some that ranks pretty high, I'll admit that I wished it were a cleaner look and thus that is a major motivating factor for a complete overhaul with a new frame.

I've seen the frame used on FJ40's, YJ's, CJ's, Samurai's etc... and really all of them work as good as could be expected? If you have the tub already mated to the frame, you'll be hundreds of dollars saved and dozens of hours ahead by salvaging some form of the stock frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12