Using Linx Levellers to get unstuck?

subterran

Adventurer
I'm always looking for ways to get multiple uses out of the stuff I carry in my rig. The other day, when contemplating what I would do if I got stuck in the sand, I had a stroke of redneck genius. Why not use some parachute cord to tie together several plastic leveling blocks into a maxxtraxx type of traction mat, and drive out on them?

It saves having to buy some dedicated maxxtraxx, and stores much more compactly.

At this point, it's merely hypothetical, as I don't want to get stuck on purpose and blow most of a Saturday trying it out. So, has anyone done this? Does someone have some compelling reason this is not a good idea?

Thanks!

Last edited:

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
Sounds good in theory - but in practice? Might be worth just building up a set at home to get a feel for how rugged they are.

Drill holes in the ends of the leveling blocks and attach with cord. Then try to pull them apart. My concern would be that the ends of the blocks aren't strong enough to resist tearing out. Were you thinking 3-4 holes in each end?

If you have good results I might try it. Pre-drill the blocks and carry some short pieces of cord. Sounds like some good red neck engineering.

subterran

Adventurer
No holes at all. Just thread the para cord through all of the existing holes. You can keep 'sewing' as much as you want. It's not going to hurt the cord by driving on it.

1stDeuce

Explorer
If you used just enough cord to make them still stackable (string so they stack in a "Z", with every other block upside-down?) it might be cool to have them available, or at least keep them handy. A major function of the mattrax is to distribute the load over a VERY large area, preventing you from sinking back in... The individual blocks you're talking about aren't really any bigger than the tire footprint, so I'm not sure how much good they'd do in sand...

Wife and I camped on a beach in Baja a few weeks ago. Sand was wetter when we drove out and parked at 60/70psi. When we went to leave the next day, the sand had evidently dried some, and the (~10k lb) truck just sunk/dug in. I aired down to 33psi and it backed right out of the holes with no problem. Plus it rode SO much better on the 15 miles of washboard back to pavement. And my little Viair 400C aired them back up pretty quickly while we got fuel before moving on.

Long story short, I still don't see the need for Mattrax, so long as you're willing to air down when necessary/appropriate. If you don't have that capability in an overland rig, mattrax are still only a temporary solution to a more long-term problem if you encounter a long sandy stretch... Which seems more common than a short patch of sand, in my experience.

Just sayin'. :costumed-smiley-007

subterran

Adventurer
1stDuece, I hear you! I don't travel on sand much at all - mostly mud and wet grass. I was not thinking of leaving them threaded together. I was thinking when you get free, just unthread and recover the para cord, and stow the levellers as normal. As for spreading the load, you could also thread them together side by side as well as linearly to make a 'mat' as large as you like. Well, until you run out of blocks, that is! I dont see myself buying any of those maxxtraxx things either...

I see your point though - maybe a little too 'porus' for good use in sand, but certainly cleaner than using the floor mats (old offroader trick #482)

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have used my leveler blocks under my Maxtrax to bridge a gap better.... I had not thought of using them to extend the Maxtrax....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78