Using power inlet for portable solar panel

stageracer

Noob question...I've done some searching on ExPo and Google and having trouble finding info on using a RV/SMB power inlet port and converting to a portable solar panel plug in. Anyone thought about or done this to their rig??

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Power inlet port? What's that?

Are you talking about the shore power hookup? Because that's a 120v AC connection, whereas your solar would be a 12v DC power supply.

Apples and oranges.

stageracer

Yes, I understand that. I guess I'm asking if anyone has thought about using a similar port to basically "plug n play" a portable panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Oh, you mean using the same sort of connector, not actually using the connector that's already there for the shore power?

Well you can use pretty much any kind of connector you want, and probably every kind has been tried by someone at some time or other.

Using the same for the solar as the shore power would seem to be just inviting the mistake of plugging 120vac into your 12vdc system. Might be better to use something different enough that there can never be any mixup.

stageracer

I suppose specifics would help. I just got out of the sun all day and I could use a cold beer.

I have an E350 van converted to a camper. I'm not trying to turn it into a SMB but I'd like to run a fridge like an ARB or Engel. Im limited on roof space and not really interested in running panels up there.I'm thinking of doing a deep cycle setup and having addition of a solar panel that would plug into the side just like a shore power plug in would; but solely for the panel this would fold out when boondocking in Baja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
I am no RV expert but if the port is functional, assuming shore power, why would you want to covert it vs adding something? On my trailer I use SAE connectors for solar and also have a shore power plug on my tongue box.

If you are not familiar with what I am referring to here's a link to what you would add: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391399826815?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Then just add the same plug type coming out from your solar controller. Some panels like my Renogy Briefcase the wiring has reverse polarity so you just have to reverse the wiring on the battery side to keep things simple. Amazon sells SAE connectors cheap.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Okay, so there's no shore power plug there now, you were just thinking of using that same sort of plug, but for the solar.

You could, but I'd use something else.

One advantage of the SAE plug posted above, is that quite a few battery chargers have that same plug, so it would be easy to hook up a battery charger to that same plug.

One would be the BatteryMINDER (not Tender, though they might have the same plug). Another would be the little 6a Stanley BC6809 I carry for a backup and to charge other folk's batteries.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
On my setup, I have my solar controller output to a cigarette lighter adapter. I then just plug it into an available 12V outlet that is directly tied to my house battery. This makes it so I don't need a 'dedicated' solar connector for my portable solar panel - it's only 10A so I don't worry about overloading the circuit. When I'm not charging I just use that 12v outlet for other stuff.

I have been using this for 4-5 years now and it's been working great. I'd be a little concerned about overvoltage from the solar panel, but it's well regulated and I've never seen any issues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998