Using Standard RV Door In Composite Camper?

Does anyone have any long term experience using a standard RV door in composite camper walls? I need a door that is about 60 inches tall, and standard rv doors are easy to cut to size. My only other option is the arctic tern wildlands door, but it's much more expensive, offers no insulation, and is shorter.

With that said, my only concern really is with the durability of the door. I have used them before in trailers, and I know they are not the absolutely highest of quality. My question is if it will hold up well over years of abuse and off-roading. I don't see why it wouldn't hold up okay, the construction doesn't seem that different. It wouldn't be the end of the world to replace in a few years (and maybe even then fabricate my own custom door) but I just don't want this to be a pain point.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I bought a used door at an RV wrecker for my NON composite walled box. $100.

It's lined with white styrofoam and has a small window and comes with an integral screen door. Rubber perimeter seal. Handle and keyed deadbolt.

How air tight do you need it to be? Any door is going to leak.

I ask because my next box will be composite, but I can't stomach the price of the windows and doors to maintain such a small atmosphere.

Alloy

Check out the weather stripping. RV doors leak air. The ones with double hinge for a screen door are a sieve.

I saw this a few weeks ago. There's some sliders as well.

Check out the weather stripping. RV doors leak air. The ones with double hinge for a screen door are a sieve.

I saw this a few weeks ago. There's some sliders as well.

That door looks really nice. $3500 ($2500 on clearance) for a door is just absolutely absurd though, I don't think I could get myself to pay that much.

As for the RV doors leaking air, I have not noticed this in any of the random trailers I have been inside. I will test my neighbors with my leaf blower and see if air can get through. I really wish there was a better option, but for $200-600, it's not the end of the world if I had to later down the line make my own.

Alloy

That door looks really nice. $3500 ($2500 on clearance) for a door is just absolutely absurd though, I don't think I could get myself to pay that much.

As for the RV doors leaking air, I have not noticed this in any of the random trailers I have been inside. I will test my neighbors with my leaf blower and see if air can get through. I really wish there was a better option, but for $200-600, it's not the end of the world if I had to later down the line make my own.
There was one for $1900CDN = $1400US

If the door is on the back it needs to have 5X the sealing vs it being on the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior