utility bed expo build

Diesel YJ

Observer
Hello everyone, I have the itch to build and I wanted to of course tap into the vast knowledge we have here and to discuses opinions and ideas. I want to build a fiberglass utility bed into a expo camper. Now I have been reading on other projects and I ran across one mention of a fiberglass utility bed build but I can’t seem to find it again even after using the website and Google to search. Now I currently have a M101A2 built with a ARE contractor cap, ladder rack, RTT and all the other goodies. It performed great going cross country last year and we stayed in it every night without issue. But with everything it can be improved upon and I love its ruggedness and durability but I see tons of wasted space. So I want to convert it back to a utility trailer for use on my property hauling wood and what not.

I have found a fiberglass utility bed in great shape and looks to be hardly used if at all. Since I will be using the M101 I cannot simply swap bodies and I am glad I have not swapped axles yet to lighten it up as initially I had planned. So my options are to then either use the existing back end of a pickup and convert it to into a trailer or build a trailer frame from scratch. I would like some recommendations if anyone has any concerning this. I will be buying a new axle but I am unsure of the payload I should go for thinking of what its total weight could be when loaded down with gear. I know I will be planning on two water tanks under the body (potable and grey) to keep weight low and balanced. There should be rock and corner guards tied into the frame to protect the tub. I am also open to a aluminum tub since I have a little time yet until I return from my deployment I want to plan and work out any issues with my thinking for this build.

I would like to see some ideas to utilize the outside boxes as a kitchen with a sink and all the amenities for easy access and whatever else you think should be outside in these boxes. The actual bed will be two large pull out drawers which I think will take advantage of all the space and organize food and dry goods along with gear. I am working on a sketchup layout which I hope to have available soon. I plan on being able to tow this with my YJ, WJ, GW and pickup as the trip will dictate the trip and is needed. As with most expo trailers the intent is to setup a camp and be able to roam with the vehicle.

Thank for your input. Mike

Diesel YJ

Observer
This is my current setup with the M101 as my base.

Attachments

• colorado.jpg
    colorado.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
  • camper1.jpg
    camper1.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 21
  • camper.jpg
    camper.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 21

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader

Diesel YJ

Observer
I like that style of utility bed but I had not seen one like in a quarter ton configuration. It would be the perfect size if I can locate one. I was thinking about making the side box a pullout but that guy was lucky enough to find one already setup with a pull and is perfect for his kitchen build. I will just have to keep my eyes peeled when I get home. I will be plenty busy with my new house and the final renovations but I am all to eager to hit the trails and get out of dodge.

Diesel YJ

Observer
Ok I am home now from overseas with the Army and enjoying being back home despite being very busy with the new house, contractors, ect. I found a M101 trailer frame for about $60 for my base. I wont start to strip it down until later this winter when I get the time. It was modified slightly for use by a farmer I think to haul a heavy spray tank around since bump stops were welded into place so the springs do not move. I will upgrade to a new axle with a electric brake system. Would the stock springs be worth keeping? Ironically I have found that one of my old high school teachers lives just down the street from me and has a small farm with tons of toys and equipment. Her husband and I think a lot alike and we struck up a friendship that is already working for both of us. He has a small pickup fiberglass utility bed with the walk in high rise and double doors. It should weigh in the neighborhood of 400lbs more or less. Its not going anywhere so I am in no rush but should I keep a eye out for a aluminum one instead? I have read up on the fiberglass utility bodies and they are all built very well, can handle twisting and inpacts with out damage because they can flex and return to normal where as a aluminum or steel body may dent, bend or be damaged. Eager to hit the trails and explore in the spring and all of next year.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a plan, 101 frame, Keep the springs and try them out, The utility body will work well.
Can't wait to see the build.

Attachments

• DSC06657.JPG
    DSC06657.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998