UZJ100 longevity???

CSG

Explorer
I always like reading stuff like this as my '02 only has 76-77k miles on it. In the two years I've owned it and the 10k or so miles I've put on it, the only issue was a check engine light that came on after a fueling. Cleared it and it's been fine since. A fair number of interior rattles though which surprised me.

Caoboy

Adventurer
My friend has one with 176k...drives like it's new. The 98 or 99 with the hydraulic brake pedal pump is annoying though, might want to avoid that year lol. Other than that that thing is a beast.

Sawyer

Adventurer
someone should mention the cost of the master cylinder... a little above $2,000 is almost criminal.

If they do... they should also comment on the numbers of failures. But of course that percentage is REALLY low.

Look, like any other LANDCRUISER out there, they are extremely well built. You are going to find issues with any model. Look for one with a good maint. history. Read the Buyer's guide on Slee's website. Spend some time in the 100 section on Mud. Shoot me as many PM's as you want. I also go by mxndrnks over on mud. Pfran mentioned a bunch off issues that have come up. There are also others. But many are few and far between. Others more common.

It is a great rig. Just get one.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
someone should mention the cost of the master cylinder... a little above $2,000 is almost criminal.

That would be the cost of the master cylinder, brake boost pump, pressure accumulator and ABS modulator as one assembled unit which as noted can be purchases as an assembled unit for ~$1800 give or take a bit. The master itself is much less and can be rebuilt for ~$50.

The same bulk of components on an 80 Series, Tacoma or zyx Toyota product are not going to add up to that much less ;)

Failures of the unit or even the master are rare, I've got countless 100 Series customers here in Utah and throughout the US and I know know of 2 failures, one being the Cruiser I just picked up. My theory is the master cylinder was leaking for quite some time and eventually destroyed the brake boost pump. One could rebuild the master (~$50) and then replace the pump with a new or use unit.

stevek

Observer
The cost of the components of the 100 series are expensive, as were the 80's and 60's in their day. This kind of discussion was pretty common place when the 80 series were starting to get cheap enough that everyone and their brother could afford one. Even though you may be paying less than 10k for the truck, they were incredible expensive new (and for good reason!). Parts prices will be in line with parts for a 60-70k vehicle.

Brock63

Observer
I went from an FJ60 to a UZJ100...mine is 2000 LX470 that had 132k on odometer when bought...all service records, recent tb and wp....now has 160k on it after 18months. I have put on tires, bumpers, lights, etc...and is a very well made vehicle. There are issues with the 100 series depending on the year manufactured just as any vehicle even a LC....but overall are solid and very dependable with one of the most reliable motors Toyota ever made in it in the 4.7L V8.

That being said I might sell mine this year or next and seriously look for a 70 series (75, or maybe if I wait long enough a 78).......

A guy that used to be in NC has his mint UZJ100 for sale now...it is a 2006 and is built with bumpers, lift, tires, rear drawers, fridge, etc.....has it for sale on IH8MUD but he relocated to KC Missouri and looking for a change. If anyone is looking I would highly recommend his rig.... Goes by GearGuyWB on IH8mud

Here is mine on recent adventure...

Attachments

• 009a.jpeg
    009a.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 427
  • 394320530.jpg
    394320530.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Uwharrie  005.jpg
    Uwharrie 005.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 19

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, it's been so long since I posted this thread that I totally forgot I ever started it! Kind of funny to search "100 Longevity" and see your own thread pop up. But old age and possible memory loss aside, I'm wondering if any new info has cropped up? I'm guessing its business as usual based on previous comments but figured I'd update this anyway.

My wife's Rubicon is at 70,000 kms (45,000 miles), and it has actually been quite reliable. Other than a faulty wiper motor (first time it rained it didn't work), and front axle u-joints needing replacement (warrantied) it has been fine. We now find ourselves considering a new 3500 diesel truck which would see the Jeep getting traded in, and my current 3500 being sold to buy a 100 series. I should see somewhere in the $12k range for my truck, so we will be looking at 100s in the $10-$15k range. I will be looking for the one owner with full records type of thing. I am going to look at a 2000 tomorrow that has 173k on it, but is the "right" color, has new OME suspension and new 33s. In the earlier posts the 2000 trannies were mentioned to be weaker. Is this a big issue, or a rarity? Is it ONLY in m.y. 2000? This will be the first close look and drive of a 100, so even if this isn't "the one", it'll be good to drive it with the suspension I plan to put in whatever I buy.

Pics of prospective rig:

imagejpg1_zps13daed52.jpg

imagejpg2_zps7c54d958.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
1998-2002 used the four speed automatic transmission. 2003 and up used the five speed. I'd be looking for a five speed personally just for the gear splitting capability. Supposedly results in an extra MPG.

As for strength, my research says the earlier transmissions are on paper less strong than the five speed but I have yet to hear anyone have a problem with one that would indicate a reliability trend issue. Plenty strong for intended usage.

CYK

Adventurer
i've owned the 2uzfe and it is certainly a reliable unit, but from my experience, it's rarely the engines that go bad for most makes/models so i don't really understand when people shower accolades on a engine's bulletproofyness when it's really the sum of all parts that have to work in harmony.

it's typically the electronics, suspension items or non-drivetrain parts that wear/tear leaving u at risk of being stranded/frustrated. having owned a 510hp supercharged jaguar-lr engine, a porsche 911 w/ the dry sump mezger unit, bmw s52, a gm vortec 5.3, etc etc etc, all have been so called "bulletproof" which doesn't make the 2uzfe any more special.

what toyota delivers is the whole bit of kit as they say in the uk. you still want to buy the newest, lowest mileage, best pampered car you can afford. we the community can help with the anecdotal stuff or tsbs (years to avoid, trannys to pick, the under the cover things).

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
Mine just rolled over at 90k. The only issue I've has since I posted in 2012 was the power antenna cable broke. I don't do any work on my own vehicles and had it repaired at the Toyota dealer. I recall it was around $150. The TB service is due (and the dealer mentioned the water pump might be good to replace now). The cost of the service is in the $1000 range with water pump and closer to $800 without (if I remember the quote correctly).

I've had mine for about 4 years now and other than the MPG (I average just over 15) I see no reason to replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179