UZJ100 longevity???

zimm

Expedition Leader
i think a 2000 has a 2 pinion front, and it may have a tsb on the transmission. the bad typically went out before 60,000 miles and toyota wouldnt warrant them past 5y 60,000m. bad shims or something. if its got 170,000, odds are its not a faulty unit.

that having been said, the 5 speed trucks are worth the effort to find, unless youre getting some smokin' deal.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
1998-2002 used the four speed automatic transmission. 2003 and up used the five speed. I'd be looking for a five speed personally just for the gear splitting capability. Supposedly results in an extra MPG.

As for strength, my research says the earlier transmissions are on paper less strong than the five speed but I have yet to hear anyone have a problem with one that would indicate a reliability trend issue. Plenty strong for intended usage.

Is it possible to swap a 5 speed tranny into a 1998-2002?

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
That would be the cost of the master cylinder, brake boost pump, pressure accumulator and ABS modulator as one assembled unit which as noted can be purchases as an assembled unit for ~$1800 give or take a bit. The master itself is much less and can be rebuilt for ~$50.

The same bulk of components on an 80 Series, Tacoma or zyx Toyota product are not going to add up to that much less ;)

Failures of the unit or even the master are rare, I've got countless 100 Series customers here in Utah and throughout the US and I know know of 2 failures, one being the Cruiser I just picked up. My theory is the master cylinder was leaking for quite some time and eventually destroyed the brake boost pump. One could rebuild the master (~$50) and then replace the pump with a new or use unit.

Add one to the list... The previous owner of my 100 replaced the entire Master Cylinder. I guess the ABS sensor went kaput (or something) so he said he had to replace the whole kit-and-kaboodle because you (supposedly) can't get the pieces and parts. Needless to say I have a spare now that just needs the ABS sensor. Reckon, I should put it up for sale or something?

zimm

Expedition Leader
Dunno, suppose anything is possible.

For the $175.27 in annual fuel costs you'll save really not worth it.

its the gear spacing that counts. the 4speed is a poor match to HP curve of the early 4.7's. 2-3 has always been crappy on steep grades at moderate speeds, and stays that way with larger tires. with a load, i find myself accelerating thru it and having to cruise at a faster speed than the curves would dictate.

i doubt you could swap a 5 in easily. electronic communication would be all buggered, i bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78