V10 Triton F 250 4x4??

Desert Dan

Explorer
Does anybody have experience with a Triton F 250 4x4 pick up?

Gas mileage, durability etc.

I saw a used 2003 model for sale and was wondering.

BZIG

One of my car is an '02 V10 4x4, they are reliable and currently have 89,250 miles primarily used for towing a 32 foot boat from dry dock to boat ramp. No problem with the motor and transmission.

They are the poor mans diesel, gas mileage isn't great but regular unleaded is cheaper by around 45 cents per gallon.

Solid front and rear axle, leaf springs on both ends to boot.

If its a 3rd/4th car, it is by far the best bang for your buck.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
just save up for a used diesel! the V10 was a big step up from the other gassers BUT they are heavy and really dont have as much power as you have probobly been told anyone who says its a beast has never rode in a diesel before, they are gas hogs i know people who get from 8 to 12 with them and they are not that powerful. my friend had a V10 excursion with 410 gears and got between 6 and 8 mpg and said it was gutless comings from his stock jeep 1997 cheeroke!

BlackWidow

Observer
I own a 2000 F350 4x4 V10 and it has lots of power (oh yeah i have driven a diesel before) I love my truck. A friend of mine is having his diesel rebuilt at the tune of about 8 to 10K (friend has a dodge so dont know if there is a difference in pricing) and although i think they are great trucks I can pick up a V10 for about half that. I say go onto Ford Truck Enthusiast and do some research there. No matter what, get what you will be most happy with.

Mike G

Last edited:

BZIG

Actually, also have a diesel Humvee and a PSD, of course the TURBO diesel have lots of pulling power torque compared to the v10 but we are comparing apples and oranges here, the OP wanted to know about the v10 not the more expensive diesel.

Our company have V10's for our F450/550's with booms and these are used in a commercial environment. So far, they are reliable and fine for its intended purpose.

If you want to go fast? buy a V12 599GTB, Murcie. :D

BZIG

BTW: the above comment was for the guy with the old suburban, I have nothing against them, also have a k10. :sombrero:

Ryan87LX

Observer
I have a 2003 F350 4x4 with a V10 for sale right now. Obviously, being in Canda, I'm not pitching it to you :)

I can tell you that I love the vehicle. Mileage is about 15mpg on the highway, but frankly the motor has been bulletproof. Lots of room, I think the ride is good, and I think it has more than enough power. The 4x4 is great, and with one ton parts the whole thing is built pretty tough.

I'm selling mine because it's just too big to drive to the grocery store, and I'm too afraid to wheel it hard and mess something up.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
didnt mean to sound like i was downgrading the V10, and didnt mean to go on about diesels either but i was just saying from MY experiance because of where i am the V10 is a poor choise.... just like my truck lol, tons of stop and go traffic.

if you want it get it but if your a big ford guy and want the same body style super duty id go for a 1999-03 diesel ($8500 to $20,000 range most for about $14,000) with the 7.3, my uncle had a fully loaded 99psd cc/lb and got 19 in town and he drives like a mad man and got 22 on the hwy. pretty good for a large truck.

although diesel is more expensive it will last a lot longer than ANY gas engine if it is taken care of also a diesel requires no tune ups..well they do but its an oil change and fuel filter:victory: so that is nice.

if the V10 you see is under 12k id get it definatly! its a F -series no question about it that itll be a good choise.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
For those of you contemplating buying a rig with a Ford V10, here's a link to an article in the December 2010 Four Wheeler Magazine:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...hree_valve_broken_spark_plug_blues/index.html

Now, I own one of those V-10s but from reading the article I'm not sure just which years got the funky spark plugs that break apart inside the head. But I've been told that my early 2007 does indeed have those plugs and so I am getting ready to change them. What a shock! List price on the replacement one-piece Champions (that supposedly will not break apart) is $33.88 at O'Reilly's (Kragen) but they sold them to me for $19.99. 10 plugs = $200!! The article recommends replacing the spark plug boots when changing out the plugs so I went to the local Ford dealer...they quoted me $16.85 per boot, so there's another $170! $370 for plugs and boots if I do the work myself and none of the Motorcraft plugs break apart. According to the article, having these changed at a shop costs anywhere from $600 to $1300!
Click on the picture of the spark plugs in the article and get a look at one of Ford's better ideas!

Does anyone know for sure just which years got these bad plugs?

Toolman

Explorer
My 2¢

A few things to consider when buying a V10 compared to a Diesel

1) Diesels are loud
2) Diesels stink
3) Diesel fuel is more expensive and not available at all stations
4) If you want gas mileage... buy a Toyota Prius
5) If you want reliable power at an affordable price the V10 beats the 6.0L PSD all day long..

You think spark plugs are expensive to replace.. how about a valve job on a 32 valve Diesel engine at $2700 a pop.

It was brought to my attention by my girlfriend when I started my Cummins Diesel in my Snap On truck that it stinks and it's loud. We test drove some diesels and V10's I didn't think we would be happy with the window down in traffic with the heat, smell and the noise created by the 6.0PSD..
7.3L PSD is hard to find with low mileage and surely is the most sought after Diesel motor Ford has ever made. I would have sacrificed the noise, smell and the heat for a 7.3 .. That being said the cost of maintenance is quite higher on any Diesel engine compared to a gas engine. Also from what I understand the problematic spark plug issue V10's exist only in the F250 and F350 from 04 and on in the 3 valve engines.. They weren't installed in the Vans or Excursions until later... I think 07'. I talk to techs all day long and the common thread is that if you really want a Diesel and have your mind set on it nothing will replace it.. they are awesome. BUT YOU WILL PAY THE PRICE.

I of course own an E350 with a V10 in it.. Sure the gas mileage isn't the best however I don't have to baby it like I would a diesel engine van.. also there are heat issues with the dog house in the Vans I didn't want to deal with. I spent $8000 for an 02' E350 XLT Super Duty with 60k miles.. I looked for months searching for a Diesel Van.. they all had over 100k miles and were $5000 more than what I paid and really beat up by people that didn't care about them with no service records. I found 1 low mileage 7.3L E350 with a mild sportsmobile conversion and the guy wanted $40K .. uhhhhmmm >... I couldn't spend the money on it and he didn't want to negotiate a price so I bailed and after a year he still has the Van sitting in his drive way. (ROTTING)
Do your homework and find what's best for you.. I don't drive my Van everyday so MPG isn't that big of a deal.. also I considered that I get 10-12 MPG in my 4.0 Jeep on long trips so it works out the same.. also when pulling my Jeep I don't have to buy two types of fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78