Value/price check - 96 Montero Sr

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Get it! Those SRs are great and that's a good example of one, price is right too. Do the timing and then rebuild the suspension and it will kick ass just how it sits.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Fun fact, 33” tires fit without a lift, and they have rock solid drivetrains and a huge support base of helpful Montero fans online. They are durable and fun, and ridiculously cheap for what you get.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Buy it, before someone else on here does. And FWIW, I paid less for our 96 with perfect paint and full service records when we bought it from the original owner in December.

Swift_45a

Observer
I have a 96 SR, and while I haven't completely revamped the suspension as I have a 99 2.5 now too, I think I like my SR better as is. She passed 200k after I put 8k miles on it since I bought it. I think the power band on the SR is more usefu than the SOHC 6G74.

I'd say that is a decent buy, as Toasy said, have enought time/money to get to the Timing belt, suspension, and valve steam seals, tune up and you'll have a solid rig. Your budget clearly allows it, so why not? These are really well thought out machines, I'm on my 3rd. I'd only really want an older gen Nissan Patrol, I don't much care of Landcruisers, to be honest. Nothing else compares.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I think the power band on the SR is more usefu than the SOHC 6G74.

This is very true BUT the later trucks are also geared a few hundred RPM away from their useful powerband. An SOHC, on 31-33's with 4.90's is perfect.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Great vehicle and to answer your question on pricing - It is a fair price assuming it runs well and checks out a full inspection. Not a steal and not a bad deal.

I'd ask for proof that the timing belt was done at 180k and if that can't be produced I'd want to knock $500 off the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online