Valve seal help needed

Lambretta

Does anyone know of a mechanic that will replace the valve seals without rebuilding the head in the Los Angeles or Orange County area. My ride is smoking bad at every stop light and drive through. The diesel truck owners are starting to point at me and laugh. If there are no local mechanics that can do it, is there a tutorial or video on how to change the seals on a Montero. I don't mind doing it but I need to make sure it's done over the weekend because it's my only car. I already bought the spark plug adapter to compress the cylinder.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Lamb,

I wish I had the time to help you out! I'm in the 714, but work right now is a bit busy. It really isn't a difficult job if you have a decent set of tools - you could easily do it yourself in a weekend. Are you absolutely certain it's the valve stem seals? If you try to tackle it yourself, I have a couple tools you can borrow that might make it easier. Let me know. Unfortunately, I've got too much on my plate right this moment to be of more help! :( I have a friend who might do it for a few bucks, if you'd like me to ask him. '99 had a SOHC, correct?

Lambretta

SoCalMonty

It would be great if you can ask your friend. The car only smokes when it has been idling for a while. The Montero is a 3.5L V6 SOHC 24V FI Engine.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Yep...it's probably the stem seals. I'll make a call tomorrow and let you know. He's a shadetree mechanic like myself, but I know he can get the job done and get you back on the road within a weekend. Standby!

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Lamb,

My buddy won't be able to do it anytime soon. I'm trying to see if I might be able to, but it depends on hours at work. If I had it sitting in my garage for a week I could get it done, but right now there's no way I could get it done over a weekend (I work my other job on weekends). I wouldn't want such a tight deadline in case something took longer than expected and you didn't have another way to get to work.

Make some calls and see what you can come up with as far as estimates go. If you can't find anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Good luck!

Unless you are on a tight budget and this is your only car... I'd say pull the heads too and replace the head gaskets while you're in there.... Take the heads to a machine shop and have them install the new seals and pressure test everything and you'll be good to go. Peace of mind is worth something, isn't it?

Lambretta

Got some prices for redoing the heads. They are quoting me between $1,400 to 1,600 and my car stays in the shop for a week. To top it off, I will need to replace my left and right cat in 8 months when I have to smog it. I enjoy this car a lot but it’s starting to become a money pit.

They're all money pits.... there isn't one vehicle out there that isnt. Even my craigslist 11 beer bicycle has cost me about $200. Yes, I literally gave the guy 11 beers for a upper end Diamondback bicycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger