Van Build Purchase Question

Have a quick question - wife and I are looking into buying an Overland Van Build, Mercedes chassis. Quick question- do you pay sales tax on the total cost of the vehicle or just what the van cost minus the build out cost?

Looking at a 189k van build (included van) and just curious if sales tax will be on that total amount. Thanks in advance.

iggi

Ian
Dude, at the very least you gotta say where you live. In general though, you pay sales tax on the full amount of the build and conversion.

vwhammer

Adventurer
In CO you generally want to supply the vehicle to the builder.
If they buy the vehicle and do the build then you pay taxes on the vehicle and the build then go to register the van in your name and pay more taxes on the vehicle.

If you supply the vehicle you have already paid the vehicle tax then you only pay the taxes on the build.
Or its something like that.
I work at a shop and we generally suggest that the customer supply the vehicle.

Might vary from state to state but likely by much.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
In most states you will pay sales tax on the purchase price of the van (built out or not) less any trade-in value difference.

If van not built out you will pay sales tax for the build out on the materials and labor you purchase during and for the build.

Spencer for Hire

Have a quick question - wife and I are looking into buying an Overland Van Build, Mercedes chassis. Quick question- do you pay sales tax on the total cost of the vehicle or just what the van cost minus the build out cost?

Looking at a 189k van build (included van) and just curious if sales tax will be on that total amount. Thanks in advance.
How about buying the van yourself and and just have the vendor do the build?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998