Van flat bed project ideas

Treenail

Adventurer
For the past few weeks I've been doing some 'windshield engineering' time into a project idea.

I'd like to get some feedback about where I'm at and where I might go.

Here are my basic needs that must be met:

Ford van
About a 2k payload capacity...a bit more would be fine
Good MPG

What I found is that the 2007 and newer E150's have enough payload capacity.

My idea is to cut off the van back, box in the back wall and build a flatbed. Then, get a pop top slide in pickup camper to strap onto the flatbed.

The latest idea is to get a cargo van with double doors on the side. Weld the rear side door jam/pillar into place so that the front side door latches. Then, cut off the rest of the van body. This company has several options for the back wall:

http://www.cabbacks.com

Using a regular length E150 I'd get about a seven foot flatbed.

This E350 is nearby:

https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/46101430/2006-ford-e350-super-duty-diesel

I know nothing about the reliability or expected MPG of a diesel. Any clue about MPG? Plus, I don't think I need the load capacity of a one ton for around town and light hauling. The slide in campers I've looked at aren't that heavy either.

Here are some pics of other van/flatbed projects like what I'm thinking.

Thanks for any input,

Tom

shortened1.jpg1990DodgeRedWagon01.jpg3201095318_490d80ca16_z.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Started with this

600_V4-1.JPG

Ended with this (as of now) I had a pop up camper on it, have one that I made now that comes on & off as needed. Has a 12" cab back and a 10' bed.

20081_987122607973634_8288705944855001321_n.jpg

I like the idea of cutting one behind the barn doors and making a short bed behind it, definitely on my list of future projects. But, the cab back won't fit the body there, will have to be made custom.

Treenail

Adventurer
Thanks Vial...I'm not going to 4WD the van...just whack the back off.

I'm capable of doing the work myself.

Chris, I saw that one at the license bureau in Asheville when I lived down there. Very nicely done but wayyyyyyyy beyond my needs :)

What camper is on the van?
Thanks for the note about the Cab Back not fitting. I can sure fab the back wall easy enough.

Tom

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd start with a cutaway van, Buy an extension piece from an Ambulance dealer if need be, and build the deck to suit with extra storage bins to fit in the wasted space along the sides of the camper under the overhang.

njtacoma

Explorer
I think Boulder Offroad did an Express version of what your talking about, 4x4 conversion too.

This link is to their photo album page, but scroll down on the left column you will see two pictures of it. http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com/photo_album

I saw it around Boulder when I lived there, cool idea, and one that has been on my mind lately.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
One thing to consider with your project is the downside of a van body. Engines are harder to access (diesels perhaps even worse), legroom is compromised, standard isn't available, 4x4 isn't stock. You might be further ahead with an extended can truck... Downside is that it's a couple feet longer.

Not to rain on your parade... Just don't want you to regret your choice... Or go, "why didn't someone tell me this".

Don't get me wrong, I'm good with the choice to own an E350... Just hate the engine bay (or lack of one).

Treenail

Adventurer
Yes. I know vans. I bought an '82 E250 a and sent it to the wrecking yard with 260k on it. Flat worn/rusted out from life in salty Minnesota

I'm an arborist and do side jobs so
I want a brush hauler. A pickup configuration doesn't work as well as this concept

I've put together three dump trucks in my life, doing most of the mechanical and welding myself.

My biggest question that needs resolving is not to short change myself in hauling capacity. More for the slide in camper that I'd buy than the loads of brush I may stack on the flatbed

Oh, and no 4wd in he plan

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Find a nice 7.3 cutaway, close in the cab to whatever size you want and build a bed, easy as that!

If you get the cab back from cab-back.com ask them to add some reinforcement to the rear. Its kinda floppy and the more wood they glass in the better for attaching interior panels/etc.

flightcancled

Explorer
I see guys cut the middle out of shuttle busses to make toy haulers and tow rigs all the time around here. If I wanted a flatbed with some interior room I would look at a small shuttle bus.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman