Van heating thread

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I did read the whole thread. Comparisons of power consumption should be made on a per/btu basis. Let's compare the D4 to the Everest heater mentioned earlier.

On low the Everest unit makes 9120BTU/Hr using 1.8A. That is 5066BTU/amp
On High the D4 makes 10,200BTU/hr using 2.0A. That is 5100BTU/amp.

On low the D4s output efficiency is 5,666btu/amp.

The D4 makes 13,650 Btu/HR on boost, which is less than the 19,500 BUT the Star 7900 makes.

The Everest Star is approximately 20x8x11” and weighs 25lbs. Total volume is 1,760 cubic inches.
The D4 is approximately 14x5.5x6” and weighs 10lbs (I am not sure if this includes the ducts). Total volume is 462 cubic inches. Ducts will add to this, but they are installation dependent.

The D4 makes 10,200BTU/hr on high using 0.1gal/hr of diesel. Diesel has 139,000 BTU/gal. So the power in is 13,900btu/hr. Efficiency is %73 which is comparable to the Everest unit as indicated in this thread.

Let's compare fuel costs. Currently residential propane is $2.36/gal and diesel is $2.39/gal

Diesel has 139,000 btu/gal 139,000/2.39= 58,158BTU/dollar
Propane has 91,000btu gal 91,000/2.36= 38,559BTU/dollar

Reliability comparisons are hard to guage. When installed correctly, the Espar units are known to exceed 2k hours. At some point the fan motors bearings will wear out and need replaced. Poor fuel, bad installation, or running at high altitude without the sensor, can cause them to coke up and require cleaning. The newest ceramic glow plugs are purportedly good for the life of the heater. Depending on the number of starts, the heater may need a new glow screen on occasion.

The propane units do not suffer from coking or similar issues. They will eventually wear out the fan motors (I do not know the expected lifespan). Ignition components may on occasion need replacement, but I have no firsthand experience with these heaters.

Read post #37. You skipped standby entirely. For most people leisure camping off grid, practicality beats frugality and the Amp Hour is king. Fuel cost varies enough (seasonal, regional, etc) to be a wash IMO but electrical power is always precious. Also no mention in your cost comparison of the expense of a fuel pump, which the Everest Star doesn't need.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Read post #37. You skipped standby entirely. For most people leisure camping off grid, practicality beats frugality and the Amp Hour is king. Fuel cost varies enough (seasonal, regional, etc) to be a wash IMO but electrical power is always precious. Also no mention in your cost comparison of the expense of a fuel pump, which the Everest Star doesn't need.

Agreed, standby consumption is important. It is highly dependent on the vehicle and the usage situation, so it is difficult to make any single prediction

Assuming a duty cycle of 50% (very light heating load). The D2 will spend 30 minutes of every hour in standby. Now, the number of times the heater enters/exits standby is important for this calculation. However it will very greatly depending on the size of the space, and how well it is insulated. In my Sprinter with D2, and no window covering (well insulated otherwise), a hysteresis cycle usually takes 30 minutes. So lets use 30 minutes for the calculations (It matches the 50% cycle). So there will be 2 start stop cycles per hour. A well insulated van could very well see hysteresis on a 1 hour cycle.

The additional power usage from standby will be the sum of the start/stop and standby fan.

The fan usage will be counted in the standby time.

One start cycle consists of:
Glow plug (140 seconds) 6A (it doesn't pull this continuously though?)

One stop cycle:
Glow plug, 40 seconds

So 2 cycles is 180 seconds x2 x 6A=0.6AH It is actually less, as the glow plugs power drops once it reaches temperature. I have not measured it, but a rough guess is the average current would be half the max current?

The standby time is 30 minutes per hour in this case, so standby fan power would be 0.5hr x 0.4A = 0.2AH

So the standby power usage would conservatively be 0.8AH per hour. Though depending on hysteresis time and glow plug current, it could be as low as 0.35AH per hour. Definitely noticeable, but not extreme. Over a 24 hour period that would be 19.2 to 8.4AH.

I have not looked into the details, but how long does the Everest unit run the fan before and after burner ignition? It probably isn't long enough to matter, but it will affect power consumption in a high cycling situation.

I have found the D2 to run pretty much continually any time exterior temps are 30F or more below the setpoint in my van (at night). During the day, with direct sun, I find that the heater will run much less if at all. At some point the D2 will actually exit standby. This occurs when the interior is a certain number of degrees above the setpoint.

The real advantage of the D2/D4 in this situation is there will likely be a smaller temperature swing. For some the lack of cycling would be helpful from a noise standpoint as well.

For those with limited charging or battery capacity I can see the appeal of the Everest unit. Of course we could take it to the next level and go with a fan-less catalytic unit as discusses earlier in the thread.

Power usage is very important to the off-grid lifestyle. But in a mobile and/or full-time (especially a small van) application, comfort, size, etc are important considerations as well.

For those without a propane system, and who are working with an existing layout, the D2/D4 heaters have advantages in size and usability. If I was replacing an existing propane furnace installation, I would probably go with a Everest unit for simplicity of installation.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I'll just add that my Little Buddy heater has two settings, low and high. Sleeping in 50ish degree temps, low is way too hot. Needs more windows open I guess. It's a pain in the *** to get out of bed and adjust that stuff. I'll try varying the fan speed on my Maxxair fan this winter.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
This is one of the most informative threads I've ever discovered on the interweb, thanks. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm not sure why keeping productive conversations in one good place is so frowned upon. I may have missed it in the 7 pages, but has anyone here any experience with the thermostatically controlled and vented catalytic heater sold by this company (and seemingly only this company).
-
http://ventedcatheater.com/2.html
-
Their website is a little ambiguous but I've found on other forums indications that these run about $450 for both the 3k and 5.2k BTU models (assuming they're still in business which is hard to tell with so little current discussion on them).
-
At first glance, this heater checks a lot of boxes for me, and eliminates (or at least minimizes) some of the drawbacks of catalytic heaters. The primary appeal of a catalytic heater (minimal space requirements, efficiency, simplicity, power consumption, no noise), and the ability to self regulate with a thermostat (presumedly a programmable thermostat as well) seems a no-brainer, and it logistically only needs two 1 1/2" intake/exhaust vents which can be placed just about anywhere since it's a forced exhaust ( at a quiet 0.5 amp draw), and no O2 depletion and no (well, certainly much less) condensation.
-
So, what am I missing??? Why are these things not as shiny to everyone else in the market place as some of these more elaborate contraptions? Don't read that as snarky, I'm seriously here to learn from the collective wisdom here. I think there may be a general disdain for radiant heat, but over the past 25 years of heating my cabin with a wood burning stove I've accumulated some pretty good tricks for moving that heat around, so it doesn't bother me if it helps me avoid another big metal appliance box in my bus. My camper build-out will have a serious emphasis on minimizing space consumption.

Last edited:

zuren

Adventurer
Seems that this discussion is focused on boondocking heat sources? I've seen examples of the propane furnaces that sit outside of the van or tent and pipe the hot air in. My parents have a Roadtrek with an unknown furnace and it is LOUD! It is something that you run before bed, hunker down in good sleeping bags, then fire it up when you wake. I think I would seriously consider something like a Zodi tent heater than have anything internal.

Sometimes my camping has access to an electrical hookup. Has anyone tried a heater like this in their van? Even space heaters with a built-in thermostat keep me awake.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
This is one of the most informative threads I've ever discovered on the interweb, thanks. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm not sure why keeping productive conversations in one good place is so frowned upon. I may have missed it in the 7 pages, but has anyone here any experience with the thermostatically controlled and vented catalytic heater sold by this company (and seemingly only this company).
-
http://ventedcatheater.com/2.html
-
Their website is a little ambiguous but I've found on other forums indications that these run about $450 for both the 3k and 5.2k BTU models (assuming they're still in business which is hard to tell with so little current discussion on them).
-
At first glance, this heater checks a lot of boxes for me, and eliminates (or at least minimizes) some of the drawbacks of catalytic heaters. The primary appeal of a catalytic heater (minimal space requirements, efficiency, simplicity, power consumption, no noise), and the ability to self regulate with a thermostat (presumedly a programmable thermostat as well) seems a no-brainer, and it logistically only needs two 1 1/2" intake/exhaust vents which can be placed just about anywhere since it's a forced exhaust ( at a quiet 0.5 amp draw), and no O2 depletion and no (well, certainly much less) condensation.
-
So, what am I missing??? Why are these things not as shiny to everyone else in the market place as some of these more elaborate contraptions? Don't read that as snarky, I'm seriously here to learn from the collective wisdom here. I think there may be a general disdain for radiant heat, but over the past 25 years of heating my cabin with a wood burning stove I've accumulated some pretty good tricks for moving that heat around, so it doesn't bother me if it helps me avoid another big metal appliance box in my bus. My camper build-out will have a serious emphasis on minimizing space consumption.

Only one around here I can recall talking about having one is here:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...d-Up/page71?highlight=Vented catalytic heater

Dunno why they aren't more popular. Probably a combination of widespread misconceptions about catalytic heaters and the ready availability and popularity of the Mr. Buddy heaters.

And no problem necroposting (resurrecting old threads), happens all the time around here, but probably not as much as it should.

Wiley

Adventurer
Sometimes my camping has access to an electrical hookup. Has anyone tried a heater like this in their van? Even space heaters with a built-in thermostat keep me awake.

2 years south of the border I was probably hard wired less than 5% of the time, maybe 10. If you primarily camp in campgrounds that would change things, but relying only on power can really limit your adventure.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Only one around here I can recall talking about having one is here:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...d-Up/page71?highlight=Vented catalytic heater

Dunno why they aren't more popular. Probably a combination of widespread misconceptions about catalytic heaters and the ready availability and popularity of the Mr. Buddy heaters.

And no problem necroposting (resurrecting old threads), happens all the time around here, but probably not as much as it should.

Thanks for that, even more convinced on that Plat cat heater after reading his positive experience with it and that company.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Yes that's the same link I posted earlier, they call it the plat cat I think , but platinum catatalytic is not exclusive to them, all "catalytic" heaters use platinum- the "Buddy" heaters are not catalytic heaters, they simply warm a block of ceramic which radiates heat. Buddy heaters "combust" at a higher temp and are more apt to produce co2, catalytic heaters "catalyze" at a lower temp and (theoretically) don't give off co2. This is commonly misunderstood of catylitic heaters, but at the end of the day it's really just semantics since the true danger of them in confined spaces is less about co2 production and more about O2 consumption - which effectively has the same potential effect (plus they produce water as a byproduct which is no fun)

The Plat-Cat made by ventedcatheaters that I was asking about is unique in the it vents out byproduct gas and moisture (and can be vented intake of outside air so it doesn't consume your van' oxygen) and it can be controlled via thermostat which is a GREAT feature of other heat-exchange furnaces that no other catalytic heaters have. It's basically a hybrid in this because it does run a small fan for venting- but at 0.5 amp draw is nothing like the power drain of a conventional heat exchange furnace, and it still retains more of your propane's BTUs converted to captured heat than a typical heat-exchange furnace. Seems to be a best-of-both-world scenario.

Feel free to correct me if I've mis-stated anything above. I've been veraciously learning on this but am still new to this particular party.

Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
It is NOT CO2 production, carbon dioxide we all worry about here. It is CO, carbon monoxide.

Every time you burn a hydrocarbon you produce some carbon monoxide. Regardless of burning method.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan