Van vs Truck Camper

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Lots of great info here so I'll try not to repeat it. I lived in a Westphalia for a few years back when I was a dirty hippy doing map work on public lands. Well I'm still a dirty hippy so... Oh how I miss those days. Have lots of friends with Sprinters and Sportsmobiles. If I went van, I'd get an older Sportsmobile with solid axles and a wide variety of power trains. Fairly simple to work on, can be made to have bigger/softer tires, solid axles, diesel options and fairly low profile, can be had for 60-80k and modded for under 100k.

Main question for full timing is the bathroom/shower and cold weather. I've seen some dope bathroom/shower combos in vans but making vans cold weather worthy is a different story. It's doable but way harder than a TC with lots of options where everything is in the insulated envelope. If going pop-up, very few of the newer ones (OEV, etc al) have a real bathroom and shower. Might not be important for you but mission critical for me (read: the wifey). Seen some decent bath setups in the flat deck side entry Hallmarks, Outfitter has a side entry pop up called the Juno which is cool, not flatbed specific but would still work well on a deck. But the soft sides on all of these are sub optimal for my use. I like it quiet, a little more secure and most don't have any cabinet storage up high. Too bad somebody doesn't make a modern version of an Alaskan camper: hard side pop up, removable, made of composites and a full bath.

So we made some compromises and went hard side flatbed side entry. Only off the shelf units that didn't involve a year or two year lead times was the Northstar American Hero which is a unicorn. We lucked out and found one that fit on my flatbed. The main reason for the flatbed is the additional storage and boxes that you can install and the side entry. We went with a truck camper for all of the reasons stated above by Trestle. Choose your truck , choose your gvwr, tires, powertrain etc. With the height of the truck, we have to be careful about which trails are go on. But 70% of our travel is in the Southwest and not on Forest roads. If we want to go deep we park the camper unload it and explore without the camper. It's a series of compromises for sure.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've been going through this same debate. My needs are a little different though as it is just me and my dog traveling and I'm doing shorter trips through the USA (maybe 30 days max).

Because I already own this truck and have built it up over the years, I will be sticking with it. I will be building a custom flatbed with side boxes and then re-install the camper shell on top. One of the most desirable feature of a van for me is the ability to get up and walk in the back without having to get out. Because of that, I will be cutting the back of the cab and making a full height pass through. This will turn the truck into pretty much a dedicated camper but I already use it as such and am not concerned about using the bed to haul stuff (I have a few trailers for that).

This camper shell is probably too small for your needs but there are tons of custom builds out there (look on this site on hard sided campers) that are larger. If you build something similar you can incorporate pass through and build it to the size you require. With your budget, you can find a good truck (I would recommend low mileage used) and have plenty of money for a custom build.

View attachment 776997

If I didn't already own my truck I would probably go with a van but it would have to be a longer wheelbase with a high top or at least a pop up.

My sister and her husband just picked up this one. Technically, it is a class C RV but basically a big van. Something like this might work well for you.

View attachment 776999View attachment 777000
Do you notice any wind noise with that topper?

ramblinChet

I travel full time and spent 3.5i years in a Jeep with a James Baroud roof top tent. For the past few years I have been enjoying an AEV Prospector with a FWC Grandby. Your answer really depends on what your plans are.

If you imagine much travel on dirt roads and trails mixed with dispersed camping while also enjoying living inside and out - a truck and pop-up camper might be best for you. On the contrary, if you spend more time on the highway and in the cities, prefer organized camp sites, and enjoy spending time inside - maybe a van would be best.

Here is an informative video discussing this very topic:

Here is a shot of my current vehicle from a few days ago while exploring the East Texas 450 Loop:

image000000(187).jpg

robgendreau

Explorer
I know through the years there’s been a fair amount of discussion on this but thought I would get some more modern advise.

I currently have a chevy colorado with an Alucab canopy camper which I love, but it’s not the right rig for me to live in full time for a year.

I’m planning a years long trip around North America with my partner and dog and deciding what type of vehicle to be home. I want to do it right and am considering between a 1 ton truck with something like a FWC flatbed hawk or OEV Hudson Bay vs a high top camper like a sprinter or transit.

I am slightly leaning towards gas due to concerns with ULSD in Mexico and the extra headaches which come with owning a modern diesel.

Right now I live in a more urban area, after the trip I don’t see a world where i’m taking off a camper and using a 1 ton truck on a regular basis, both would be dedicated camping rigs for their life with the slight edge that a van is more likely to fit in my driveway. I’ve test driven a couple of 1 ton trucks now and between the limited sight lines and size the truck feels very big in my current home environment.

The main downside of the van i’m seeing is it’s going to be harder to get places, between low tree limbs and what i’m sure is quickly sketchy off camber situations it makes me nervous about going all in. As an opposing viewpoint though both vehicles would be my home and I’m not sure I would do anything too aggressive with either.

The pros of the camper in my mind is the ease of repair, flexibility if I switch trucks in the future, hopefully longer driving range and more water storage and more off-road worthiness with the cons being daily setup and 4-season climatization.

Especially interested in hearing front those who have done both! I understand that these sort of things are all about trade offs. I’m thinking about renting a van on outdoorsy for a trip soon to get a feel for it. I’ve been leaning a lot more Truck Camper but recently thinking more about the long term use of the vehicle in an urban setting has me considering a van more.

I don’t want to go over $200k budget and prefer something a bit more modern for some driving creature comforts
I've owned a couple of pickups with shells (Toyota, F150) and more recently a Sportsmobile (E250 with 4x4 conversion). Recently sold the van to get another truck (Ram) and FWC.

I went with the van initially since I was doing less 4x4ing, and got into doing most of that with motorcycles and small 4x4s, so the van was more of a basecamp vehicle. But that's changed and now I want something more offroad worthy.

Vans just aren't as good offroad in general. Especially high ones that aren't poptops. Just too much weight up there. Many are heavily mod'd to add 4x4, or have rather anemic 4x4 systems. Basically the 4x4 makes up for deficiencies, and I found the low range more important than that actual traction benefits.

I'm not sure why a van would fit when a truck wouldn't...trucks come in more sizes. Also, late model trucks have far more aids to parking and visibility than many vans do. Cameras all around, auto parking, parking assist, etc. I think the Sprinters have that, but not all vans.

And a van isn't any easier to winterize than a truck camper in my experience.

As for driving comfort, I think the current trucks have more options than even the higher zoot Sprinters. A lot of variability, and again more choices with trucks. Trucks are nicer for passengers with crew cabs, and even with some of the half cabs. Passengers in the van had to sit sideways in mine, which most disliked a lot for long drives. Front facing rear seats in vans are of course possible, but take up tons of room. It was nice never to have to go outdoors in a van to get stuff, but sometimes it's nice to have a separate compartment as well.

Trucks also have far more aftermarket add ons for overlanding and camping. I loved my van, but so much of it was DIY and fabricated that repairs were always a challenge. Fun, but at some point a project vehicle can be wearying.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I know through the years there’s been a fair amount of discussion on this but thought I would get some more modern advise.

I currently have a chevy colorado with an Alucab canopy camper which I love, but it’s not the right rig for me to live in full time for a year.

I’m planning a years long trip around North America with my partner and dog and deciding what type of vehicle to be home. I want to do it right and am considering between a 1 ton truck with something like a FWC flatbed hawk or OEV Hudson Bay vs a high top camper like a sprinter or transit.

I am slightly leaning towards gas due to concerns with ULSD in Mexico and the extra headaches which come with owning a modern diesel.

Right now I live in a more urban area, after the trip I don’t see a world where i’m taking off a camper and using a 1 ton truck on a regular basis, both would be dedicated camping rigs for their life with the slight edge that a van is more likely to fit in my driveway. I’ve test driven a couple of 1 ton trucks now and between the limited sight lines and size the truck feels very big in my current home environment.

The main downside of the van i’m seeing is it’s going to be harder to get places, between low tree limbs and what i’m sure is quickly sketchy off camber situations it makes me nervous about going all in. As an opposing viewpoint though both vehicles would be my home and I’m not sure I would do anything too aggressive with either.

The pros of the camper in my mind is the ease of repair, flexibility if I switch trucks in the future, hopefully longer driving range and more water storage and more off-road worthiness with the cons being daily setup and 4-season climatization.

Especially interested in hearing front those who have done both! I understand that these sort of things are all about trade offs. I’m thinking about renting a van on outdoorsy for a trip soon to get a feel for it. I’ve been leaning a lot more Truck Camper but recently thinking more about the long term use of the vehicle in an urban setting has me considering a van more.

I don’t want to go over $200k budget and prefer something a bit more modern for some driving creature comforts
The ULSD in Baja Norte is ours. I can't speak for Sur. I understand your concerns with government madated choked up diesels. The new gassers aren't exactly simple either.

jk6661

Observer
I think new Sprinters will be discontinuing 4WD soon (next year?). That seems relevant.

Also, what would people recommend for a muliti-year international trip in Africa and Asia (my plans eventually)? It seems like a truck camper would trump a van in that situation, or really any extended international trip in developing countries.

Last edited:

tomtaylz

Circling back, I decided to put in a deposit on a transit build, we rented one last weekend and it drove very well and was fairly quiet.

I think a big determination was that my dogs getting older, and the builder were going with has AC with a good battery system where we could leave her alone for a bit with the AC running if she’s not able to join on the days adventures. Something like AeonRV was interesting too, but had a 2 year+ wait.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The wait begins.

phsycle

Adventurer
Good choice. I’d have gone with a van as well. I’m currently shopping for a truck camper but not for full time travels. I’d much rather have a (high roof) van set up if that were to be my permanent home. I’d give up any offroad trails but maybe you rent a Jeep on Turo to get your dirt fix, or haul a small dirt bike.

kmacafee

Adventurer
"they adjust the GVWR up on the diesels so there is no loss going from Gas to Diesel with a RAM. "

I'd love to see the data backing this statement up. I've owned a Ram gasser for years and have researched the whole gas vs diesel conundrum pretty thoroughly and this is the first time I have ever heard this. In fact, given the additional 800 or so pounds that a diesel engine weighs over a gas engine, Ram's own published GVRW limits show a reduced GVRW for diesel vs gas engine trucks.

For example, look at payload numbers on the 2500 given the different engines. Sure, the diesel has more torque and can tow more but for carrying a camper, the diesel has less capacity.

2023 Ram 2500 Gas vs. Diesel Engine Options​

There are two Ram 2500 engine options for the 2023 model year. The gasoline-powered HEMI V-8 engine provides better horsepower and payload ratings, but the turbo-diesel has significantly more torque and greater towing capability. Depending on the engine you choose, the 2023 Ram 2500 towing capacity is either 17,730 pounds in the 6.4-liter HEMI or 19,980 pounds1 in the Cummins turbo diesel.

6.4L HEMI V-86.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Horsepower410370
Towing17,730 lbs119,980 lbs1
Payload4,000 lbs3,140 lbs
Torque429 lb-ft850 lb-ft

1000arms

"they adjust the GVWR up on the diesels so there is no loss going from Gas to Diesel with a RAM. "

I'd love to see the data backing this statement up. I've owned a Ram gasser for years and have researched the whole gas vs diesel conundrum pretty thoroughly and this is the first time I have ever heard this. In fact, given the additional 800 or so pounds that a diesel engine weighs over a gas engine, Ram's own published GVRW limits show a reduced GVRW for diesel vs gas engine trucks. ...

The 2023 Ford F-350 SRW trucks have at least some examples where the GVWR is greater with the diesel engines than the gas engines.

See "MAXIMUM CARGO WEIGHT WITH SLIDE-IN CAMPER" (for Super Duty trucks) at https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...s/2023_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide_Nov22.pdf

For example, the 2023 F-350 CCLB 4x4 SRW with "18"/20" All-Terrain and 20" All-Season Tires" shows a GVWR of 11,900 pounds for the two gas engines and a GVWR of 12,400 pounds for the two diesel engines.

Another example, the 2023 F-350 CCLB 4x4 SRW with "18" All-Season Tires" shows a GVWR of 11,300 pounds for the two gas engines and a GVWR of 12,000 pounds for the two diesel engines.

It also appears that OEM tire can impact the GVWR on the door sticker, which people might want to keep in mind when selecting a truck. ... The "18"/20" All-Terrain and 20" All-Season Tires" have a GVWR 600 pounds greater than the "18" All-Season Tires" for the gas engines, and the "18"/20" All-Terrain and 20" All-Season Tires" have a GVWR 400 pounds greater than the "18" All-Season Tires" for the diesel engines, in the above examples.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

If you choose a camper, do your research carefully. Some FWC owners have reported oil canning roof noises that make sleep difficult.

Just to share first hand knowledge - I don't consider this an issue. I travel full time and sleep in my camper every night and in the past six months there has been one time where the winds were at the perfect velocity and angle that my top "oil canned" occasionally. This did not interfere with my sleep.

The FWC provides a balance between living inside and outside at the same time since you can hear other noises through the fabric side when the top is up. I enjoy listening to nature while falling asleep and waking up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12