Van vs Truck Camper

Cortttt

The west is the best! Desolate mountains and valleys are ubiquitous (especially in NV)... lots of public land and easy dispersed camping.
It depends on where you go. If you plan to get into some sketchy places - do the truck camper. The Transit is a tin box with lousy clearance. Even if you get it lifted - clearance will still be an issue and it's a unibody - I just wouldn't trust it for long periods offroad. The Promaster is front-wheel drive - I wouldn't get near anything sketchy with it.

A lifted Chevy or Econoline with 4wd - yes. Put a new roof on it and you're sitting pretty.

A 1-ton with a camper may be a little less comfortable but much stouter. You have the money - I would go with that. Nothing the matter with a hardtop = big Northern lite, Bigfoot - sweet trailers.

rruff

Explorer
It depends on where you go. If you plan to get into some sketchy places - do the truck camper. The Transit is a tin box with lousy clearance.
Yes, several friends (who don't camp or do any offroading) were underwhelmed when I showed them my camper. The gist of it was that I spent a hell of a lot of time building something that looks a bit crude (no automotive finish or fancy interior) and is simple... (no toilet, shower, or kitchen?)... plus the floor is so high off the ground! Couldn't I have just bought a Sprinter? I thought about going down the laundry list of whys... but the main thing is being able to put a good deal of distance between myself and the hoards of RVers and van-lifers. Quite happy with my choice... (y):p

CaptainBuilt

Truck camper. All the way.

The biggest reason is #vanlife is over and vendors are dying off.

I have a 12ft box truck that I converted to a RV. It's a 2014 chassis. Soon it will have a 2024 chassis, same box. Then UJOR 4wd kit. So, I'm not getting rid of it any time soon.

oxn87L1l.jpg

I've had vans since the 90's and I'm only 43. So, since my teens. Way before they were cool. I love them, but with the "right setup", a truck camper is the way to go.

If I were to buy a truck camper in the future, it would be a used Northern Lite, or a Bigfoot. Paired with a flat bed 4500/5500 series truck.

Like this:

phsycle

Adventurer
I've had vans since the 90's and I'm only 43. So, since my teens. Way before they were cool.

Uh, you’re about 30 years late to that party 😂

1694835288118.jpeg

1694835332463.jpeg

My folks had one of these back in the day. We thought it was the coolest thing, with a 9” TV and all 😆😆

1694835461635.jpeg

And of course, we can’t forget about the coolest, baddest van of all.

1694835652065.gif

Now back to your regularly scheduled program…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle