Vanagon Hightop - Syncro

Wandr

Observer
Hi,

I am new to the site... I recently picked up a VW Syncro - Standard Van. I purchased a VW Weekender Interior (Table, Bed, Rear Facing Seats). I was planning on doing a westy pop-top conversion. Quite a task! Then I came across a guy importing high-tops from the UK over on thesamba.com. I can't wait for the install... coming in 2 weeks or so. I'll up date with some pics. Here is the work I've done so far and a computer rendered picture with the hightop.

VanagonTransformationText.jpg

Wandr

Observer
Thought I would add some interior pics. The good thing about the hightop is that I did not have to pay the huge expense of a Westy Syncro. I am able to do an easy conversion. Here are some interior pics plus an cabinet I'll be building to go behind the passenger seat.

006.jpg

syncropaintLabeled2.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
dscf3863%20web.jpg

Yeah hi-tops rule!

Those syncros are very cool rigs, nice job putting it together yourself. Keep us posted on progress and especially your trips with it.

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
Hi,

I am new to the site... I recently picked up a VW Syncro - Standard Van. I purchased a VW Weekender Interior (Table, Bed, Rear Facing Seats). I was planning on doing a westy pop-top conversion. Quite a task! Then I came across a guy importing high-tops from the UK over on thesamba.com. I can't wait for the install... coming in 2 weeks or so. I'll up date with some pics. Here is the work I've done so far and a computer rendered picture with the hightop.

VanagonTransformationText.jpg

Ahh that will be Timbertec Dave. I had one of his roofs fitted at the pigfarm were his yard is, http://www.freewebs.com/ababyonboard/thevanitsself.htm

jed

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Man that top is SHWEET! I have always drooled over the Hi-top Syncro pics on The Samba. looking forward to pics of install!
J

Wandr

Observer
Can't wait for the top to come in! So many plans but they cant event get started until the top is in. It will have 6'4" interior height. It will be about as tall as the Sprinter in the background. I am a little nervous about being top heavy but the top only weighs 100lbs or so. It has that flat part in the back, I have plans for a solar panel. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Solar is sweet! I used the GoWesty solar set up for three weeks in Baja this past January and it worked awesome!!

DSC00507.jpg

Wandr

Observer
Do you have the Engel fridge? I looked into the go westy panel. Definitely going to be on the list. How do you like that awning? Also, on the list.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
YEs I have the Engel...it rocks! sooo much better than the fridge that came in the camper. I have the Weekender style interior too...WAY better than the camper layout in my opinion. Currently I have the Engel mounted behind the passenger seat and it works great adding an additional seat when inside.
I am however trying to design something much like what you have sketched up but trying to incorporate some of this as well
img_var_trans.jpg

More on that can be found here: http://secure.mycart.net/client_images/catalog30249/pages/files/EuroVanKitchen.pdf

The awning is great! go with the 10 foot for sure. I thru bolted mine to avoid worrying about it jumping the rain gutters. It held up to brutal punishment for my 3 week run in Baja!! Shade is priceless when you leave the tree's behind! And perfect for the late day rain we get all spring and summer in the mountains of the South.

J

Wandr

Observer
AHHHHH... Still waiting. Shipment has been delayed a few times. I picked up an Westy Interior. I will miss the extra space that the weekender interior provides but I am really looking forward to having some cabinet space. From what I read most people do not use the interior Sink/Stove so I am debating about eliminating it. I am also looking at the this fridge for the install http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html. I am relaminating the cabinets. What do you think of black? Will it give a claustrophobic feel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78