Vandetta

Toolman

Explorer
Water system install

update.

We've been using the van for weekend get aways and we are loving it. Since the steering upgrade and the multiple uses I have been inspired to work on the van again, so his weekend was upgrade time.

About 2 years ago my Dad gave me a 12v pump, tank, sink, and mini 12v tankless water heater assembled nicely in a stand alone unit. Until last weekend it was wasting away outside my house, in fact it almost went into the trash can several times. I took it apart cleaned it up tested all the components and they all work. I had a bigger tank laying around 12x12x20 (12 gallons I think) I fabbed up a skid plate for the tank mounted the pump and heater wired and plummed it all in and now I have hot water on demand out the side barn doors, and out the rear bumper cold water only. I connected the heater to only be used at the side door for washing hands and dishes. I have plans for the rear door later connection later. After a few trip's to the hardware store's and I had it going, and much better knowledge of the sizes of fittings and their uses.

I searched all over the web for the mfg of the h2o heater but came up with nothing. I'm looking into remaking one, it seems like it's all parts from NAPA. It's enough water to wash your hands or a cup of soup of coffee or nice warm wash cloth. It draws way to much current to be taking a shower with and there's no temp control. There is a safety so that if no water is running it won't turn on, haven't figured that part out yet.

2012-07-08154035.jpg

2012-07-08150721.jpg

It's really nice to not have to lug the scepter can anymore. I have a feeling I'll be selling a few very soon.
I'll get some more pics of the under carriage later.

Toolman

Explorer
Interior cooking station and Chuckbox

My Dad retired last year, so I have employed him to execute one of my designs. His wood working skills far exceed my expectations, he had some serious input in the design and has some really great ideas for this.

This will fit in the van on the cabinet I made and also be able to come out on go onto a table outside for use. It's modular design, and extra components allow the end user (Me) to arrange the drawers and shelves any way I choose.
We are still working on the face, it will drop down to create a cooking area / shelf. The bottom center section was designed to house a single burner butane stove to pull out for boiling water inside the van.
Chuckbox

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

Toolman

Explorer
Thanks. I wanted my Dad to make it so that I wouldn't just trash it or sell it after a couple of years. This will go into any rig I have and when I'm done using it I'll give it to my Nephew(s) that way it stays in the family. Dad's putting the finishing touches on it in the next couple days and hopefully it will be in the van and ready to use in October.

Toolman's Design Lab is open for business.
I've been taking orders on my over head consoles and have delivered one to Chris for V4. I've had many messages regarding these, so I decided to go ahead and start offering them for you fine folks.
Send me a message and I can go over the details with you. I can tailor it to your specs and needs.

I'm also able to offer a wide variety of services including full conversions, 4x4 conversions, electronics installation, H2O and OBA systems, etc.. etc. You name I can install it for you at a reasonable rate. I'm confident that I can provide quality service and installation as I have been customizing RV's, big rigs, boats, cars and homes for about 25 years, for myself, friends, family and professionally. If I am unable to execute yours vision, I'm confident that my resources can help you achieve your goals.

For the DIY people, If there are specific materials I use on Vandetta or other builds that you would like to purchase I have everything readily available for you.

I'm in Torrance, California and I welcome the opportunity to serve you.

toolmansdesignlab@gmail.com

I'm currently working on a website.

Toolman

Explorer
Nice work. I knew there was a reason i was staying away from these forums.

Thanks. I knew you were still lurking around here.

Here's some shots that I'm not so proud and then very proud of.

There's a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/4" plywood in there somewhere, along with the rest of my wood scrap pile and a ton of other carp.
Proud the van can handle the load, however I'm realizing I have a Sanford habit and need to down size. Problem with that is I'm in a bigger place. The bigger tank is, the bigger the fish grows.
The modular design works, and I like it. I have some ideas for the headliner that will delay finish. I've been holding back because of the bubble top, SMB PH top quandary.

2012-09-23144449.jpg

There it is
2012-09-23144644.jpg

MWL

I like the modular design too. I carry dirt bikes and camp at the races so I need room to do both. Up to now I've just been sleeping on the floor. Can you explain what you did with the rear A/C? I have wanted to get rid of the air duct in the ceiling to gain a couple of inches but have been reluctant to do so. Now that my van is 20 years old, I don't think there is anything I could do to make the resale value any less. I also didn't realize how much wasted space there is behind the OEM passenger van interior trim. Your van is giving me some good ideas.
Mike

Toolman

Explorer
Start from scratch, the plastic rattled and drove me crazy around town, the seat belts were slamming the walls and windows when I hit a drive way at an angle. I kept saying to myself this is going to suck on a wash board road and on rough terrain. I have some rattles here and there but I can always isolate and quiet them down. That plastic had no chance in fact I used dynamat on the plastic window surrounds to shut them up and it worked.
I pulled the entire interior out of the van and set it aside in the case I may need to use oem parts to make my interior design work. I started with the floor, I used 3/4" with insulation between wood and rubber just to soften the wood for my knees when crawling around, it also keeps the insulation, up and away from any possible moisture entering from the under side and causing mold. 1/2" lower flat walls from the floor to the bottom of the window insulated with reflectix and marine carpet. The upper is 3/16" up to the ceiling 1/4" foam and gray vinyl, I wanted to use a material that wouldn't hold dust. Insulated the walls between wood and body.
I did not insulate between the outer and inner shell of the van for fear the insulation would block the weep holes and cause pre mature rusting, get wet and cause mold, I did some research on several forums and anyone that has insulated their walls with and open poor products is regretting it. The worst thing you can use is expanding foam insulation. Just my opinion.

I made the wheel well boxes out of 1/2" and 1"X2" and the same rubber material as the floor, capped the corners off with 1" aluminum angle to provide protection, added strength, and pulls the bed support together as well as locks the corners from peeling if something skids past it. I made the A/C box just big enough to house the unit. I removed the headliner and the tube connecting. Then ran 2 - 3" flex hoses inside the dog house to pump the air into the cab. 1 for the heater coming out at the floor and 1 coming out the top for A/C. The passenger side is 14" wide to provide room for the electronics and storage. I offset them like this on purpose, It gives me 45" between the boxes for storage and the tie downs for MC hauling have gotten their use as well. All in all it's the most versatile rig I've ever owned. By removing my headliner with A/C ducts I gained about 3" of headroom, which is crucial with a standard top van.

I will get some pics of the storage units I have built into the drivers side A/C box.

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
I think you passed me while I was sitting in line to leave KOH. I was in a big black Dodge towing a Toyota and you kept kind of leap-frogging me on the right. The Van looked awesome!

Toolman

Explorer
Not many of those combinations, I actually remember driving next you, set up. I remember thinking that driving to Montana was going to be a haul.

Thanks, it's fun

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Do you have 48" between your wheel well boxes in the back? I am considering something similar, but I want to be able to fit a bedslide in between the wheel wells too.

Toolman

Explorer
I have 45" between the wheel wells, I made it this way so that I have more storage area and rear A/c. If I need to transport sheets of plywood I can stand them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78