VANdiana Jones sequel: The Legacy Continues

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You have this in your signature, and it pretty much says it all!

A vehicle's worth is not what you put into it, but what it put into you.

Thanks Pat. I came up with that when building my G's. I think it suits our passion and interests well, at least it does mine(well, especially when I get out and use my rig, hehe ;) ).

patoz

Expedition Leader
I enjoy the designing and building as much or more than I do using it. Of course, if I don't get off my butt and get mine finished, I'm going to be too old to do much but sit in it in the driveway!

Hmmm, let's see, the fire pit can go over by the front door, and the grill can go in front of the picture window...
campfire-2.gif

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I enjoy the designing and building as much or more than I do using it. Of course, if I don't get off my butt and get mine finished, I'm going to be too old to do much but sit in it in the driveway!

Hmmm, let's see, the fire pit can go over by the front door, and the grill can go in front of the picture window...
campfire-2.gif

Well then I wish you were closer Pat! :D
I think, at least for me, it's way too easy to Maximize(vs Satisfice), research, optimize, dream/fantasize about the ultimate, say "I'll go take another trip when...(I get this or that done on the rig)" and then either rarely enjoy what you have, and/or get caught up in the black hole that your rig isn't good enough or exactly what you want, so you sell it....only to start the vicious cycle over again. <headbang>

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Some folks can get wrapped up in pursuit of The Perfect Plan, and then never actually do anything, or finish something, whichever the case may be. I like to go after Plan Good Enough, and hit the road. Otherwise I'd be building your rig instead of mine. Hah! ;). (That's actually a compliment that you're building a nice van).

patoz

Expedition Leader
Some folks can get wrapped up in pursuit of The Perfect Plan, and then never actually do anything, or finish something, whichever the case may be. I like to go after Plan Good Enough, and hit the road. Otherwise I'd be building your rig instead of mine. Hah! ;). (That's actually a compliment that you're building a nice van).

Tom, what I need is someone with a strong back and walking around sense to help me, you know anybody like that? :punk03:

Jeremy, I hope to make it up to your neck of the woods at some point before I die. That's one area I'd really like to see.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Tom, what I need is someone with a strong back and walking around sense to help me, you know anybody like that? :punk03:

Jeremy, I hope to make it up to your neck of the woods at some point before I die. That's one area I'd really like to see.

Thanks Tom!

Pat, you've never been out this way?(I've never been to FL however)
You definitely need to head out here, so much goodness to explore! Just don't stay too long--we have enough traffic as it is. ;)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Thanks Tom!

Pat, you've never been out this way?(I've never been to FL however)
You definitely need to head out here, so much goodness to explore! Just don't stay too long--we have enough traffic as it is. ;)

Actually, looks like I might be headed your way after the first of the year. Got a call from a customer today out in, Bend I think it is, with a brokeded machine that needs some fixin. Yeah me!

But doesn't it rain like 380 days a year out there or something ridiculous like that?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Actually, looks like I might be headed your way after the first of the year. Got a call from a customer today out in, Bend I think it is, with a brokeded machine that needs some fixin. Yeah me!

But doesn't it rain like 380 days a year out there or something ridiculous like that?

Awesome!! Bend is 3hrs SE of Portland, basically in central Oregon. Yeah, lots of sun(and then snow in the winter). Bend is an awesome mountain town--a bit like Hood River with lots of outdoorsy people/stuff to do.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Think you could post an under hood shot of that setup?

No hood structure cut out for these center vents(I love my body shop, such pros!);
IMG_5995.JPG
IMG_5996.JPG
IMG_5997.JPG

BTW, I didn't know these hoods are fiberglass. Ford really trying to save some weight eh?

There is one downside to all this heat extraction. Here in the rainy PNW when it monsoons(that's one of the many reasons you don't want to move here ;) ), water infiltrates the engine bay. Since I'd rather not have water blobs all over the SPOD, engine, etc, I carry this plastic sheeting(from my home flooring project--black tape is to remind me it's on the hood when I drive away) and 4 35lb neodymium magnets to hold it down. Works awesome and keeps the water out of the engine bay.
IMG_5998.JPG

jungblud

Observer
No doubt on the hood. I was wondering why it felt like lead sheeting was used in Dearborn the year my van was built.

Anyone have a better option? The E350 is not exactly keen in the drift subculture so I doubt there are stacks of carbon fiber hoods out there, but thought I'd ask if there are any lighter alternatives.

I have the side vents and would like to do the middle as you have. Perhaps that would take some of the heft out.

Is yours any lighter now that the large sections have been replace with the venting? Did you go with aluminum on the vents or?

Thanks,
Tim

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
No doubt on the hood. I was wondering why it felt like lead sheeting was used in Dearborn the year my van was built.

Anyone have a better option? The E350 is not exactly keen in the drift subculture so I doubt there are stacks of carbon fiber hoods out there, but thought I'd ask if there are any lighter alternatives.

I have the side vents and would like to do the middle as you have. Perhaps that would take some of the heft out.

Is yours any lighter now that the large sections have been replace with the venting? Did you go with aluminum on the vents or?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Better option for a lighter hood? What's wrong with this OEM fiberglass unit? It wasn't too heavy stock, is maybe a smidge lighter now but not hugely noticeable.
The vents are aluminum yes--only option from RunCool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12