Various trips we've done to the Kimberley region of Western Australia

uneekwahn

With gusto !
This is only my second post here, so I hope it's in the right area!

In April 2007 I'd been working for the same company 10 years so I got 3 months long service leave. In July of 2007 we were getting married. In August 2007 it was going to be my 30th birthday.

To celebrate all three milestones we decided to take 2 months off and travel Western Australia's Kimberley region (I should mention we're from Perth, Western Australia, so it's technically our backyard ;))

My 1996 Nissan Skyline coupe wouldn't cut the mustard for this trip, so we sold her and got ourselves 2001 GU Nissan Patrol with the bullet proof 4.2l turbo diesel engine.

This is the Patrol stock standard as we got her

6849313.jpg

We fitted the Patrol out with a roof top tent, side awning, drawer system, dual battery, 60ltr engel fridge and 6 ******** Cepek FC-II (285/75/16) and a few other goodies to make the 2 month trip enjoyable.

Testing out the setup

dsc03631apg4.jpg

The drawers (without the fridge)

interior.jpg

So, anyway, enough of the setup, let's get onto the trip!

Our first night on the trip was at a little place north of Geraldton called Coronation Beach.

DSC03689.jpg

We didn't take many photos on the way up as we were in a rush to get to Broome for my new wife's birthday on the 19th July. We did stop to take a shot of this massive termite mound.

DSC03698.jpg

We also had to take a shot of this sign as you don't see ones like this in the suburbs!

DSC03703.jpg

Just south of Broome there is an old well where the afghans used to rest with their camels and they planted some date palms which are now massive.

DSC03704.jpg

Then we were in Broome! This is a shot from Gantheaume Point, with us sitting in Anastasia's pool.

DSC03726.jpg

A beautiful sunset shot at Cable Beach

DSC03763.jpg

Freaky crab sand trails at Cable Beach

DSC03780.jpg

After a couple of days recharging our batteries (and stocking up on beer) we took a trip up to Cape Leveque.

Our first stop was at Beagle Bay. Here's the obligatory shot of the altar made from mother of pearl. (for more info on the church in Beagle Bay, read http://www.broomediocese.org/beaglebay.html)

DSC03890.jpg

A shot of the long, straight, narrow and boring Cape Leveque Road. I think this shot was taken just before a section where we were almost wiped out by a fuel tanker coming down from Cape Leveque. We were on a temporary road as they are laying tarmac from the top down and the shoulders were about 1m high and thankfully we found a break and ducked in with about 30 seconds to spare as the tanker came barreling down.

DSC03907.jpg

This is one of my favourite shots that I took on the trip. Our first night at Cape Leveque and we watched the sunset and saw a jet stream in the air.

DSC03925.jpg

We only stayed in Cape Leveque for two nights and the second day we spent walking several kilometers on the beach and building sand castle and doing what newly weds do (arguing of course ;)). On the way back down we stopped at Munget, which is close to Middle Lagoon. We met Lenny (the traditional land owner) and he took us for a ride on his camels (much better than the touristy Cable Beach camels in our opinion!)

DSC03931.jpg

DSC03942.jpg

DSC03950.jpg

We headed back to Broome for two nights to relax again and repaired some damage to the car (the rear taillight in the bumper had shaken loose - is there anything cable ties can't fix?!).

We then decided to hit up the Gibb River Road.

We stopped off at Derby on the way to check out the old boab prison tree

DSC03951.jpg

Our first night on the GRR was at Windjana Gorge and boy was it beautiful.

DSC03966.jpg

We spent several hours walking random trails at Windjana Gorge and came across some aboriginal art.

DSC04015.jpg

Then we stayed at Silent Grove in the King Leopold Ranges on the GRR

DSC04109.jpg

At the back of our campsite, there was a track leading down to Bell Creek

DSC04115.jpg

And low and behold, there were some VERY friendly turtles! There are five in this shot, but at it's peak, we counted at least 18 unique turtles! They were so friendly, they would come out let you pat their shells.

DSC04135.jpg

Then we took a walk to Bell Gorge

DSC04205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

uneekwahn

With gusto !
It was around this point where I started feeling pretty unwell with a sore throat and a bit of a temperature, so we decided to head off and thought Mornington Wilderness Camp would be a good place to go.

This is a shot on the road to Mornington

DSC04245.jpg

Unfortunately, but the time we got there, I was running a 39c temperature and sweating profusely, so we only stayed the night (with Avril tending to me with a damp flannel!) and left first thing in the morning to see if Imintji Store (a roadhouse on the gibb river road) had any meds I could take.

Imintji suggested we hit up the Mt Barnett Aboriginal Community nurse, which we did, and she hooked me up with some drugs after calling the Derby Hospital to diagnose me.

We left Mt Barnett, very happy and decided to go to Drysdale River Station.

The road to Drysdale was decent, but the dust was just sitting in the air. This was taken from the car whilst driving at around 40km.

DSC04251.jpg

It didn't help that there was a fire as well!

DSC04253.jpg

We stayed at Drysdale for 4 nights, two of those in one of their little dongas as I needed a proper bed to relax in as I was still quite unwell.

On the third day, we took a trip back down the GRR and checked out some more aboriginal art.

DSC04262.jpg

We took a flight over the Mitchell Plaeau

One of the many beautiful islands there.

DSC04423.jpg

Mount Trafalgar.

DSC04432.jpg

From Drysdale we drove to Home Valley Station where they were filming a European TV show called "Outback Jack". The place was over run by European women in high heels and bright fluro pink lycra tops (my wife wouldn't let me take photos!)

After Home Valley Station it was time to head to Kununnura, via the Pentecost.

DSC04512.jpg

DSC04514.jpg

DSC04520.jpg

We relaxed in Kununnura and checked out Lake Argyle.

DSC04549.jpg

DSC04568.jpg

Back in Kununnura we met Baz Luhrmann at a tree planting at Celebrity Tree Park.

DSC04768.jpg

We then went back on the GRR to El Questro.

DSC04797.jpg

The campground

DSC04780.jpg

Us in Zeebeedee Thermal Springs

DSC04794.jpg

Doing a bit of 4wding on one of their tracks

DSC04827.jpg

One of the look outs in El Questro

DSC04846.jpg

Whilst at El Questro we went to Emma Gorge

DSC04966.jpg

After we left Emma Gorge / El Questro, we headed back to Kununnurra for a night and then down to Purnululu for two nights.

Here's a shot of us at Cathedral Gorge.

DSC05153.jpg

And the obligatory shot of the Bungle Bungles themselves ...

DSC05172.jpg

Last edited:

uneekwahn

With gusto !
We then checked out Wolfe Creek Crater

DSC05182.jpg

DSC05189.jpg

We then stayed two nights at Hell's Crack, err, I mean Halls Creek. What a beautiful little place </sarcasm>. Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, we didn't take photos here

After Hell's Crack, we stayed in Fitzroy River for a couple of days, and again, nothing too exciting here to photograph.

We then took a trip to Tunnel Creek

DSC05277.jpg

Back towards Windjana Gorge we stopped off at the Lillimilura Police station ruins

DSC05297.jpg

We then spent two nights at a free camping site between Derby and Broome called Nillibubbica. Great free camping area with a couple of drop dunnies and rude pricks who park right next to you and crank their generator on late in the evening when there is so much space around the area. But I digress.

We headed back to Broome for some supplies and then decided to crash a few nights at another free camping area up Cape Leveque Road called Barred Creek.

Barred Creek was absolutely stunning. We were parked on a cliff, about 100 metres from the water and in the three days we were there, we only saw 3 cars. It was joy.

DSC05322.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

Ocean fog in the morning

DSC05343.jpg

Fire and dinner on the beach

DSC05428.jpg

After this it was back to Broome again for my 30th Birthday.

My folks flew up for the occasion and got an apartment near Cable Beach and it was great to sleep in a proper bed again.

They also bought me some Blanche de Chambly (an awesome Canadian beer) and some Feral White.

For my birthday, my folks treated us to a hovercraft ride on Roebuck Bay.

DSC05482.jpg

This was during the zero tide time and we went during the evening and got to watch the sunset over Broome, whilst standing on the roebuck bay mudflats drinking great beer, eating some nibblies and spending quality time with my wife and parents.

This was, without a shadow of a doubt, the best part of the trip for me. I will forever remember the time I spent on my 30th with my parents and wife enjoying what broome has to offer.

DSC05522.jpg

DSC05524.jpg

After this we slowly made our way back down the coast, stopping at a few different places.

At Exmouth, thankfully I was in the right place at the right time and got an awesome shot of an Emu in the Caravan Park.

DSC05560.jpg

We also had some fun 4wding at Exmouth aswell.

DSC05585.jpg

DSC05586.jpg

DSC05599.jpg

Well guys, thats our honeymoon holiday in a nutshell.

Cheers,

Jason.

Last edited:

Kevin07

Gets my vote, :luxhello:

a lot of those places I recognise, can't wait to get up there again.

Cheers
Kev

timh

Explorer
It looks like you guys had a great time. I personally couldn't think of a better way to spend a honeymoon, but my wife would feel otherwise.:)

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Thanks for sharing!
We did this area on Dirt Bikes in September 2001.
Didn't find out about 9-11 until days later.

We happened upon a German couple and their stuck rental SUV on a 'very' remote 2 track, about 150 miles east of Broome.

They had been stuck for 3 days and we're preparing to walk out. They didn't have a clue as to, how to get 'unstuck'.... Since there was six of us, we had enough muscle to lift and push the SUV out of the mud hole.

Could of been a life threatening disaster for them, if we hadn't come along, because the Monsoon season was right around the corner.
We may of been the last ones to use that road for many months to come.
It would of been a hike of 35 miles back to Hwy 1 in 90 to 110F degree heat.

Is was weird situation, they had no recovery gear, but weren't really stuck that bad.
Using their standard tire jack, I would of been out of the mud in a day or so using the available rocks and wood.
Or even weirder yet, they could of easily driven around the mud hole.

155957_1750691011644_1369941973_1907579_1583354_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Jason, congrats on your wedding and enjoying the outback with your new bride.:wings:

Thanks for sharing your travels with us. Looks like a great area to enjoy.

uneekwahn

With gusto !
I'm happy to say that we've just confirmed we're heading back up to the kimberley in April of this year.

Only a 2 week trip this time, but it's better than nothing :)

We're going by the inland route this time, spending two days to get up there with our first night's stop near Meekatharra and our second near Marble Bar. From Marble Bar we're taking the Boreline Road which I've heard has some lovely scenery.

We're in Broome for 2 nights then we head up to the Dampier Peninsular for 3 nights at Cape Leveque and 3 nights at Middle Lagoon. We then head back down the middle of WA to Karijini for a couple of nights and then back home!

Very excited and looking forward to it :) :wings:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Looks like one heck of an adventure. Gotta be one of the coolest honeymoons ever!

Thanks for sharing and I'll be looking forward to another trip report. :drool:

Derek

WOW.......That's really cool pictures and both you looking great in these pictures.I hope you enjoyed this trip with her. :hehe:

uneekwahn

With gusto !
Thought I'd post this in here instead of starting a new thread :)

After confirming my wife was pregnant early in the year, we decided that we should do a quick jaunt to the Kimberley before she pops as life as we know it will change once bubs is here.

We decided that the trip would be over the easter period as we'd get a few public holidays so we didn't have to take as much annual leave from work.

The original plan was:

Leave Perth Friday April 15 and head to Bilyuin Pool, 75k north of Meekatharra,leave Bilyuin Pool Saturday and head to Coongan Pool, 30k north of Marble Bar, leave Marble Bar Sunday and head to Broome via Muccan Shay Gap Road and then the Boreline Road, spend two days in Broome and then head to Kooljaman at Cape Leveque for 3 days and then head south to Middle Lagoon for 3 days, get back to Broome on Monday 25 April and head Karijini for a few nights and get back home on Saturday 30 April.

They say that the best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry, and in this case pretty much everything that could go wrong, did.

My folks were meant to look after our dog while we were away, but that changed 4 days before we were meant to leave, so we decided to take her with us and managed to book her in at the "Broome Pet Motel" for 8 days and changed our plans on the way back down to stay at some stations (Giralia and Quobba) where dogs are allowed.

So, come Friday 15 April, we left home at 7:15am and arrived at Bilyuin Pool around 5:30pm. Not much to say about the drive up, except it was pretty boring.

Bilyuin Pool was very picturesque but unfortunately, as it is a cattle soak, the flies were pretty bad. We didn't have any bovine visitors at all, although we did hear them mooing during the night and saw some on our way out in the morning.

The road up

y4ppmdfcjd3r4gsmsf26.jpg

Ashburton Downs Meekatharra Road heading to Bilyuin Pool

ls9er29i4r42a0crn78w.jpg

Bilyuin Pool

5aeea5nr2dwbu6353e8s.jpg

We left Bilyuin Pool early as the flies were worse than the night before and started our journey to the De Grey River rest stop 70k north of Port Hedland. Unfortunately Muccan Shay Gap Road was closed as the De Grey River there had flooded and was impassable.

Again, not much to say about the drive from Bilyuin to De Grey, although the scenery west of Newman was particularly nice. Definitely going to visit there in the future and do some exploring.

The De Grey River rest stop was very nice. Hardly any flies or mozzies to bug us.

trs8qzu8wmc3xiuyj0cf.jpg

We left early again as we knew Broome was only a short 6 hour drive away!

We got to Broome and headed straight for Cable Beach so the dog could have a play.

p0e6j3a7wa1m6q6iinyh.jpg

And we knackered her out good and proper.

8j5n61xvyxwqkytwnlz3.jpg

After dropping her off at the kennel and spending a couple of nights in Broome we made our way to Kooljaman at Cape Leveque on the Dampier Peninsular.

l22i8n23z7mjw36eg1ds.jpg

This was our second trip up the Dampier Peninsular and on our first trip in 2007 (pics and write up on previous pages in this thread) the road up was 10km bitumen, 100k gravel, ruts, corrugations and washouts, 20km of bitumen and then another 100k of gravel, ruts, corrugations and washouts. They've since laid bitumen from the top down to Beagle Bay and although it was a little disappointing as it has slightly lost it's appeal now, it was a welcome change after the first 100k, particularly with the wife being pregnant!

Some of the road

gqzxef8y45qd8w3pojiq.jpg

We arrived at Kooljaman and set up camp at one of the beach shelters

902vz7k9m67ti5ixl9xq.jpg

It had a nice cold shower in it, which was nice

g18yyir1tvq24e4ue3op.jpg

Last edited:

uneekwahn

With gusto !
A lovely sunset at Cape Leveque

4rp817b93ctoen72792n.jpg

Some shots of Leveque Island

l0p3i82zxc93dycbu11u.jpg

n54yrlvnp4s7pcqg044u.jpg

q395rh5dth8wsq5maw7v.jpg

We took a day trip down to Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm and did a 4 hour boat tour of the Buccaneer Archipelago on this beast

hvan9p1eamubme9rpood.jpg

Video of the boat going from land to the water

Some photos of the area

umrc8k69rbkg52uucwy6.jpg

tnxu5nvhvumczlkdl3c2.jpg

Video of boat spinning due to tidal movements

We then headed south to Middle Lagoon for 3 nights

Video of road in to Middle Lagoon

Our camp

memgea7w0ywq430ap2t6.jpg

My hammock

vrpvcr2jacs43dtehq5v.jpg