Vehicle Fridge/Freezer That Stays Cold for 24-48 hours w/o Power?

19mystic96

This thing is going to be heavy even with lithium but man are we living in the golden age. If this had come out a year or two ago I bet it would go for $500 but I can easily see them asking a grand or more for this in today's inflated dollars.

Edit: HA! I was spot on. $999 on Amazon.

after you brought up being heavy I searched a bit to find it weighs about 51lbs empty

Light than I expected but it's still not what I'd consider "light."

Corbet

Observer
Portable fridge with built in battery. Charge it while driving on 12v plug and let it run overnight. I don’t have any personal experience with these but plug and play solution for overnight.

2.ooohhh

after you brought up being heavy I searched a bit to find it weighs about 51lbs empty

Light than I expected but it's still not what I'd consider "light."

Wow my ARB 50qt is within a pound or two of that, I’m kinda impressed. Heck my RTIC cooler is within a few pounds of that once I get the required ice in it.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
This thread is what is amazing and helpful about this forum.

A simple question on how to keep frig colder longer shines the light on the knowledge base of the forum members. From simple fixes to more advanced, all explained in straight-forward and easy to understand manner with practical ideas of whats possible and even what is not.

1683547077603.png

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Thank you for the responses. There was too much to absorb on short notice, and some of the solutions were not cheap so did not want to rush. Went with an old school 'dumb' cooler and dealt with it as it was roadtrip/hotel situation and allowed me to re-ice, etc.

It was just one more added burden. What I envisioned was leaving the electric fridge cooler in the car overnight unplugged (after grabbing dinner out of it) and not worrying about it needing power to stay icey cool unattended for overnight to a day (if I stay and don't drive).

grizzlypath

I've found my budget fridge isn't as insulated as my higher-quality cooler, so if I were to run with no power with pre-cooled items then my cooler would probably be better. However, with power the fridge obviously is best plus doesn't need ice-packs and whatnot.

Keyed/switched 12v -> Jackery or similar -> fridge. Done.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

This is probably the easiest and most modular (removeable) option, and this is what I do. However, portable batteries aren't cheap! I opted for it due to weight savings over lead.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
A cheap electric "cooler" won't keep much cold.

I suggest you look at the Bluetti EB3A and 200 watt portable suit case panel from Atempower, that should keep most all portable fridges going for 48 hours.

Also, put a frozen milk jug in the fridge, better yet use dry ice packs, a fridge can be an ice cooler too, extends the time being unplugged.

I'M REALLY GETTING TICKED AT THESE POP UP ADS!

TwinStick

Explorer
I have gone 4 days with an ARB Classic 50 qt & a Cabelas X-900 deep cycle battery. Not sure what the issue is, just get a good battery and charger. You could theoretically run your aux battery to absolute dead flat and never have to worry because it is totally separate from the vehicle battery.

I made my own ARB battery boxes, with the ARB threaded plug mounted on top. I can put it in any vehicle in just a matter of minutes. Easy peasy. Make sure you use at least 10 ga wire. Factory cigarette plugs are usually not sufficient for a fridge/freezer because the wire gauge is too small. It overheats and melts.......ask me how I know !

I caught it with seconds to spare. Almost burned our brand new 4RUNNER to the ground. Wire was melted and 12v plug was stuck because the receptacle had melted. I got some severe burns on my fingers that took a few years to heal. I will never trust factory wiring again on any vehicle. I managed to get it unplugged though and averted a worse ending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger