Vehicle quest continues: Pathfinder?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I'm still going back and forth between the 4runner and the Xterra but as I was shopping the other day I came across a dealership that had not one but two late model (05+) Pathfinders in my price range.

I confess I don't know much about them. How are they off-road? I understand they are based on the Titan platform - does that mean they're "orphans" now that the Titan has been dropped? Are lifts available? (I note that it's 4 wheel independent suspension.) Does anyone here have a Pathfinder and what can you say about it? How is the real world MPG with the V6?

From what I have seen, the aftermarket is abysmal for the Pathy. Some Frontier parts fit, some Xterra parts fit. But there's really only a handful of places that have aftermarket for late model Nissans anyways.

Figure out what you want to do with it, check out the aftermarket options, and decide from there.

Mileage out of the VQ40? Dunno. Can't be any better than the Frontier I'd imagine.

Big Daddy Chia

Adventurer
The 05+ Pathfinders arent on the titan platform. They along with the Xterra and Frontier use the same platform. There is one lift kit out there for them, drawback is its IFS and IRS.

mcm4090

Explorer
The 05+ Pathfinders arent on the titan platform. They along with the Xterra and Frontier use the same platform. There is one lift kit out there for them, drawback is its IFS and IRS.
Same platform.
All Nissan's trucks and SUV's are built on the F-Alpha platform since 2005.

hattrik21

Adventurer
My wife's 06 pathy gets 19mpg and her's is only 2wd. As far as lifts, I think there is an OME 2in lift but that's about it. There is a pathfinder forum although its not a very active one. It's http://www.thenissanpath.com/. If you want something to take off-road, I'd stick to the 4runner or the Xterra. The articulation on the IFS/IRS is really poor. I'd prefer at least one solid axle but thats me.

fangars

Adventurer
I would not get the Pathfinder for my own reasons.
The suspension, the heavy rear end.
I would get a Frontier and add a shell before I would go with a Pathfinder.
I never see new Pathfinders out on the trail, the old hardbodies yes but never have I seen the new ones.
IMHO the OR Xterra is a better offroad vehicle right off the lot.

This however is not about my opinion, this is about you and what you want/need from the vehicle.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
As someone who bought an 07 Xterra OR, I can give support that they're excellent. The ride is stiff, but the fact that it comes with a reasonably powerful engine, locking rear diff, decent gearing, and the Dana-variant rear axle makes it a very solid choice. If you get the auto, you even get Hill Descent Control thrown in. The 6spd has a neutral-start over-ride, which can be very useful. Hell, it's even got 31.5" tires stock. Throw in a quick shackle/puck lift and you're into 33s.

As for overnighting, you can slide the seats the whole way forward, remove the bottom-rear seat cushions, and with a little support folks over 6' tall can sleep in the back. The Rockford-Fosgate system is nice and loud with quality bass (unless you're the type that wants two 12"s in the back).

When I took it off-road, I was very nicely surprised at it's capabilities - even with my half-bald stock tires.

Now, it depends on what you want to do, but I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

double moo

Adventurer
My wife has an '06 Pathfinder. We test drove the Pathfinder and the 4Runner back to back at the same dealer. Pathy was more comfortable, more power, larger interior, quieter. We were looking to buy the 4Runner but changed our minds after the test drive.

If I was doing it again I would get an Xterra OffRoad instead... or a Frontier. The Pathy doesn't seem like it will transform into a good off road vehicle - the IFS rear could be problematic adn the aftermarket support is lagging.

Now if I could just shoe horn that 270 hp motor into my Trooper....

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
My wife drives an 06 Pathfinder as well. Third row seats work well for us (sized for kids only) and with them folded down there is alot of storage beind the second row of seats. Have driven it offroad on mild trails and washboard type 'unimproved' roads. It is fine for this when stock, but will need some help to do much more. Great SUV for travel and light duty trails, but if you are truly looking for something that will be used on rougher terrain, then the X is a better bet.

The stock suspension seems to be tuned for on road use. When loaded ours will blow through the travel in the rear. Coils are on the soft side - make for a very comfortable highway ride - and the stock shocks are under-damped. This is a relatively easy fix with some OME coils and upgraded shocks, but something to keep in mind.

For what it's worth - 'Consumer Reports' recommends the 06 but not the 05 model. It was a new model year in 05 and there always seem to be bugs that need to be worked out.

off.track

Adventurer
i'd go with an X OR over the wd52 pathfinder but the framed (wd22) Xterras are better imho except the factory locking diff that comes as part of the OR package. i think it's a better build platform. however, a freind of mine with an 05 X OR was consistently getting over 20mpg out of his while the older X's hover below 20mpg.

in general, pathfinders have way better cabin layout then the toyota equivalents.. bigger, more comfy.. always have been. but many of the yotas have solid axles and that is an advantage that is hard to discount.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Stick with Toyota, why mess with a Good thing??? Xterra's are certainly neat, but I don't think they really have much to offer over the 4Runner. A 3rd or 4the Gen 4Runner has plenty of power (espescially if you get a 4th Gen V8...)

Skip the Pathfinder, they're not meant to be taken off-road. if you want a comfy ride and good handling buy a car ;)

Cheers

Dave

Creek

Adventurer
Talking about the Xterra...
Hell, it's even got 31.5" tires stock. Throw in a quick shackle/puck lift and you're into 33s.

You can fit 33's with no lift...just have to melt and reshape a wee bit of plastic is all. :costumed-smiley-007

95pathfinder

Skip the newer Pathfinders unless you mall expedition; WD21 ended in 95, then they switched to R50 (BOO) nonetheless the X (WD22) was born. After 250K I am still happy with my Nissan. Why V8? you tow a gas trailer?
:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior