Versatile off road open utility/camping trailer build

gatorgrizz27

Took the trailer on its first camping trip, just 2 nights over on the Suwannee river with our boys. Brought the golf cart along also, which was a good decision as it let me exercise the dog and us run to the lodge/pool/etc. Campground had a large RV park so things were spread out, but we were in tent sites along the river.

I whipped up a quick table with some folding brackets right before we left, it worked really well but I may still build one from stainless as I’d originally planned so it can stay on the trailer all the time. It stores in the front wall which makes it easy to access and out of the way.

F4BE6F23-B947-4572-AB1E-7D57196BB37A.jpeg

The awning deal still needs a little work, I bought the Kelty Waypoint tarp which is designed to mount off a vehicle hatch. I ordered some cheap poles last minute and was able to cobble it together, but they are on the short side and water was pooling in one spot. This is one of the things I hadn’t come up with a good solution for since I started the build. The propane tank is meant to hang off the side also, but it wasn’t secure enough for my liking so I put it in top of the cooler. Will add a lower bracket to hold it steady.

Otherwise, the cooler layout, water jugs, on board battery to charge phones and RC trucks, all worked great. I still really need to get this thing wrapped up which is basically a little bit of welding, spray it with bed liner, and finalize the lighting/wiring.

I also picked up a pair of air shocks as I have overloaded the 2,000 lb suspension a time or two already and it does make for a rough ride. I think those will allow me to keep the soft quiet ride with light loads and still be able to take advantage of the 3500 lb capacity axle. We used the trailer off road at a friend’s hunting ranch to move some ladder stands around and it worked great for that also with the high clearance, soft ride, and front wall design.

gatorgrizz27

I also bought a new ground tent a couple weeks ago, and have been impressed with it so far. I found a North Face Wawona 6 on eBay, new but discounted. I really like the other North Face tents I own, so I decided to try a big one and it was a good decision as it rained for 16 hours the first day. We had half an inch of water flowing under the tent and everything was still bone dry.

Being able to put the dog kennel under the vestibule, hang a line and dry clothes, and for the boys to be able to stand a pee under it during the night were all really nice.

63AE8341-628D-4CBD-B81F-616446FABD72.jpeg

I’d considered going with a RTT on this trailer, but hadn’t been sure how big of a pain taking it on and off would be, plus the golf cart complicates things now. A friend we camped with had the larger Smittybilt tent which I almost pulled the trigger on at the end of last year, but I held off. It is way smaller inside than this thing, so I haven’t made up my mind if I want to mess around with one or not.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Nice little trailer. Especially since you have a golf cart now to put on it. I picked one up last fall. Now that spring weather is here, it's like my life has changed. Haven't taken it with me anywhere, but just using it for trips around town. I live in a small town, and we can use them here if we have a warning triangle on them. (farm tractor style)

IMG_3705.JPG

I just have a little foldable trailer I got from sears many moons ago, but finding this thread (and having a golf cart I wanna take everywhere with me) has me thinking I need to up my trailer game. What suspension did you use from Timbren?

Last edited:

gatorgrizz27

Nice little trailer. Especially since you have a golf cart now to put on it. I picked one up last fall. Now that spring weather is here, it's like my life has changed. Haven't taken it with me anywhere, but just using it for trips around town. I live in a small town, and we can use them here if we have a warning triangle on them. (farm tractor style)

View attachment 780174

I just have a little foldable trailer I got from sears many moons ago, but finding this thread (and having a golf cart I wanna take everywhere with me) has me thinking I need to up my trailer game. What suspension did you use from Timbren?

I used their 2000 lb silent ride suspension. It’s the guts of the axle-less suspension but you supply a standard 3500 lb trailer axle. I had a 4” drop one from another project that I rotated up for increased ground clearance. They also make the same setup with 3500 lb springs which is probably a better choice for a normal utility trailer.

rebar

Adventurer
I used their 2000 lb silent ride suspension. It’s the guts of the axle-less suspension but you supply a standard 3500 lb trailer axle. I had a 4” drop one from another project that I rotated up for increased ground clearance. They also make the same setup with 3500 lb springs which is probably a better choice for a normal utility trailer.
How do you like the Silent Ride system? I knew I didn't need independent, but I wanted airbags for a 7x16 tandem axle project..

gatorgrizz27

How do you like the Silent Ride system? I knew I didn't need independent, but I wanted airbags for a 7x16 tandem axle project..
I’m pretty pleased with it so far.

#1 it does seem silent, this trailer sees dirt road/off road use and there’s nothing like squeaking/banging/jerking to kill the solitude of a nice ride through the forest.

#2 it does seem to ride really soft and smooth. A lot of the time this trailer will only have mountain bikes or (eventually) a cedar strip canoe on it. Lightweight trailers tend to spend half their time in the air on rough roads, you can really see this suspension working, it is probably smoother than the tow vehicle (LR3 in airbags).

The one thing I’m not super thrilled about isn’t Timbren’s fault, but I use this as a utility trailer also and at times overload the 2,000 lb rated capacity. I’m not exceeding the 3500 lb rated hubs/axle/trailing arms, so it’s not a strength/bending issue, but the suspension will basically bottom out where the axle U-bolts are touching the frame mounting bracket. I was hoping it would be a little more progressive like an overload spring on a leaf pack, but again not their fault.

I‘ve picked up a pair of automotive air shocks that are rated for 750 lbs, I plan to use when I throw a pallet of plywood or similar on it.

gatorgrizz27

Trailer use update, while I still haven’t finished it, it’s been working out awesome, for every intended purpose. Hauled a bunch of bikes up to N Georgia for 4th of July, nothing moved or came loose, and it was easy to get on/off.

I also purchased a used 660 lb table saw for my cabinetry shop while up there, it was actually loaded on there with all the bikes and fit fine.

The L-track rails are awesome, I highly recommend them, and the overall size and setup of this trailer has been ideal. Hoping to get the ramps, lights, and bedliner done before too long, it also still needs the fenders mounted.

9C743C5B-8A5E-4808-93E1-D3E81F1820A7.jpeg

6C414436-54F0-4968-A329-A27B8F0FAAA6.jpeg

Last edited:

Gr8 Hortoni

Just stumbled on this. What an awesome build. I’m at dinner with the wife so I scanned the comments, but did you list the LxW dimensions, I might have missed them. Meeting up with my buddy Tuesday to discuss an off road trailer build and this is exactly the utility aspect I’m looking for. Great build man!

gatorgrizz27

Just stumbled on this. What an awesome build. I’m at dinner with the wife so I scanned the comments, but did you list the LxW dimensions, I might have missed them. Meeting up with my buddy Tuesday to discuss an off road trailer build and this is exactly the utility aspect I’m looking for. Great build man!

Glad it is inspiring, trailer is still working great for just about everything! Deck is 102” x 55”, and 24” high, trailer overall is about 173” x 75”.

Some have commented about the axle placement, the tongue weight is significant but it’s in the right place for the zero turn or golf cart, as most of the weight is in the back half. It it towed by either an LR3 with air suspension and a 750 lb tongue weight rating, or a 2500 HD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online