Vertical pop up camper? Similar to flippac or wildernest

Stevanjohnson

Does anyone out there make a camper shell that simply pops up vertically? Something simple, without the flip forward or sideways of the flippac or wildernest.

Obviously it wouldn't allow for as much room, but a simple westfalia style accordion/hinged cap to allow for some movement when parked. Not quite a full camper but more luxurious than simple bed over shell sleeping.

I'm sure a capable shop would be able to even take a standard camper shell and convert... essentially cutting the off and modifying. Has anyone seen anything like that executed well?

I've seen so many tent toppers on top of camper shells but this way you would in theory be able to avoid the ladder up and down and be able to stand up completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stevanjohnson

Basically this set up minus the cab over portion. I have a 6.5 foot bed so not really necessary. And having used basic camper shells on Craigslist plentiful could be a good budget start.

a127f2f4eff68bb928e945e0ce8d474e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkish

Adventurer
I think FWC and Phoenix (and maybe ATC and Northstar?) offered a NCO (non cab-over) version for a while. I don't know if they were any good, or any were actually produced...

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Have you considered attaching a hard-shell RTT to the top of the canopy, and then cutting a hole?

I would create a reinforcing frame for the attaching bolts, and maybe even a platform between to take up the differences in shape.

You could even start with a frame and then skin it with any number of things. Alu-Cab produces some very nice canopies that can handle things right on top (as opposed to the ecto-frame typically required.)

Stevanjohnson

that looks awesome, but the more i look at the pricing i realize you could get into a used wildernest or flippac for around the same price.

maybe i'm just cheap, but cutting the top cap off a standard used shell from craigslist and installing lifter arms to manually be popped up and pulled down. similar to a sportsmobile van set up.. keeping it as simple as possible and lightweight. avoiding the motorized aspects of the topper ezlift.

i didnt think about a standard camper shell being fiberglass and not having any structural support however... reinforcing it with a frame inside may be necessary. i would imagine a shop that specializes in converting vans to sportsmobile could be up to the task. may have to send a few emails.

toytruck

subscribed. This thread popped up at the right time. Ive been reading that old thread where a member attempted a flip pac on a 1st gen 4runner but nothing came of it. Would be great to see something come to fruition with this idea in mind. Wouldnt mind something like this for my 1st gen :smiley_drive: As most others say, likely will need to go custom if there's nothing already out there that fits exactly what you're looking for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12