Very early RTT review and questions

Eric K

Observer
So I just purchased a RTT and have used it two night, so take the following with a grain of salt. The tent is a Freespirit Adventure like tent. I say like as it was on clearance and an older model I believe. So not quite, exactly the same, but I believe its like 95% the same, maybe more. First impression: I love it. Our camping problem was small ground tent is just uncomfortable and we dreaded camping more than a night at a time, because we don't sleep well due to it being uncomfortable. Ways around that seem like large ground tent, cots, etc, but that just seems complicated and packs the disco with tons of stuff. With the RTT, its all right there and it actually removes stuff from the inside of the disco. Set up and break down were incredibly easy and under 5 minutes for set up. Take down might be a bit longer, but that's mostly due to me only being 5'10 and it's hard to reach the clips of the tent cover. If you are taller (or have a shorter vehicle), it's probably much easier. The ease at setting it up and breaking it down made me not mind doing it every morning and evening, i would just do it while the wife dealt with starting a fire. I think this tent is going to lead to us camping out a lot more (though the wife is thinking about a dog and fitting the dog in the tent, not sure how that works.....). We are going to travel regardless, so camping instead of hotels will end up saving us money. Freespirit was great dealing with and they answered all my questions quickly and clearly. The tent seems very well constructed (one minor design flaw, but I am not sure if that's a problem with the new tents or not. either way, knowing about it allows you to avoid it being a problem), and well thought out. I'm excited to use it again.

I did have a couple of newbie RTT questions though:

1. Can you/had anyone set these up at a rest area? Generally we leave friday night after work and drive 5 hours until we are too tired. Finding a spot to set up isn't easy that late, it would be nice if we could just pull into a rest area, sleep for 7 hours, leave the next morning on our way to our actual campground.

2. What do people use for staying warm inside the tent? We just put our sleeping bags in there and used them. Is that what most do? Do you use blankets? How do you know the blankets will be warm enough (sleeping bags have a nice rating that tells you what temps are acceptable)?

3. I guess if we do get a 40-50 pound dog, any ideas on how to get the thing 6+ feet up into the air?

G8rRanger

Answers to questions 2 and 3 are all over this forum. I have no idea on 1. Most rest areas have rules on overnight parking. On the auto side, I'd say no, a trooper will likely run you off, with good reason. On the truck side, maybe. I wouldn't recommend it either way.

Eric K

Observer
Answers to questions 2 and 3 are all over this forum. I have no idea on 1. Most rest areas have rules on overnight parking. On the auto side, I'd say no, a trooper will likely run you off, with good reason. On the truck side, maybe. I wouldn't recommend it either way.
That's what I assumed as well, but is it really good reason? I mean every semi in the rest area at 2am is someone sleeping, why can't I take up a parking spot and sleep?

s.e.charles

That's what I assumed as well, but is it really good reason? I mean every semi in the rest area at 2am is someone sleeping, why can't I take up a parking spot and sleep?

i think that's the exact argument you should present law enforcement if confronted, and report back how you made out.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
1) I’ve never tried to set up in a rest area for several reasons. -Hard to convince cops you aren’t camping. -Hard to convince people not to rob you

2) Blankets mostly, sometimes sleeping bags, but mostly cause the kids want them. If you can’t figure out how cold or warm you will be, you just need more sleeping and camping experience, I can’t help you. Maybe sleep with your windows open at home and keep a logbook to figure it out?

3) Dog sleeps in annex, on ground under Jeep, in Jeep, I’m not lifting a giant dog up and down in a RTT. At home she sleeps on floor at bottom of kids bunk ladder, same as the bottom of RTT ladder

in addition, carry a 2-step aluminum ladder and you will cut your RTT setup and breakdown time in half with a much safer experience too.

Reactions: plh

kdeleon

Observer
1) these are times i wish i have a sprinter van, so much easier to stealth camp -- but then the places we go to remote camp is not sprinter van friendly so i'm sticking with my truck.

Similar thing, we have to drive at least 12hrs to reach CO and sleeping at rest stops are inevitable. We just sleep in the truck. Kids don't mind, but wife and I obviously don't get the best sleep. Took awhile before we learned, after many trips out west, and we've typically grab a hotel last minute around midnight. Get us fresh for the next long stint. However with covid, our last trip meant rest area sleepover which surprisingly went well (tired enough i had a good sleep!)

I have not setup my tent, or have seen anyone in a rest area. Once did it in a parking lot on a trailhead and got away with a warning the next morning, helps having kids around to get less than harsh treatment.

2) Sleeping bags primarily, then blankets for additional comfort. This is down to low 30s.

G8rRanger

Trucks/vehicles parked in rest areas do not have nylon sides that can be sliced like a hot knife through butter. I spent years in a OTR Truck-centered business. The things that happen at night to truckers - with hard sided shells and doors that lock, mind you, should advise you that tenting in a rest area is an invitation to unwanted adventure.

Campsites with electricity allows you to plug up an electric blanket, much safer than a CO2 producing heater, no matter how "tent-safe" it claims to be. Absent that, down is great insulator, and the water-tightness of an RTT advises it won't be ruined with water.

Nater XJ6's advice RE a 2-step ladder is probably the best thing you will read here today. I'd consider it essential.

greg.potter

Adventurer
So I just purchased a RTT and have used it two night, so take the following with a grain of salt. The tent is a Freespirit Adventure like tent. I say like as it was on clearance and an older model I believe. So not quite, exactly the same, but I believe its like 95% the same, maybe more. First impression: I love it. Our camping problem was small ground tent is just uncomfortable and we dreaded camping more than a night at a time, because we don't sleep well due to it being uncomfortable. Ways around that seem like large ground tent, cots, etc, but that just seems complicated and packs the disco with tons of stuff. With the RTT, its all right there and it actually removes stuff from the inside of the disco. Set up and break down were incredibly easy and under 5 minutes for set up. Take down might be a bit longer, but that's mostly due to me only being 5'10 and it's hard to reach the clips of the tent cover. If you are taller (or have a shorter vehicle), it's probably much easier. The ease at setting it up and breaking it down made me not mind doing it every morning and evening, i would just do it while the wife dealt with starting a fire. I think this tent is going to lead to us camping out a lot more (though the wife is thinking about a dog and fitting the dog in the tent, not sure how that works.....). We are going to travel regardless, so camping instead of hotels will end up saving us money. Freespirit was great dealing with and they answered all my questions quickly and clearly. The tent seems very well constructed (one minor design flaw, but I am not sure if that's a problem with the new tents or not. either way, knowing about it allows you to avoid it being a problem), and well thought out. I'm excited to use it again.

I did have a couple of newbie RTT questions though:

1. Can you/had anyone set these up at a rest area? Generally we leave friday night after work and drive 5 hours until we are too tired. Finding a spot to set up isn't easy that late, it would be nice if we could just pull into a rest area, sleep for 7 hours, leave the next morning on our way to our actual campground.

2. What do people use for staying warm inside the tent? We just put our sleeping bags in there and used them. Is that what most do? Do you use blankets? How do you know the blankets will be warm enough (sleeping bags have a nice rating that tells you what temps are acceptable)?

3. I guess if we do get a 40-50 pound dog, any ideas on how to get the thing 6+ feet up into the air?

I have slept in rest stations many times. If you pull over at supper time it might be an issue. I am pulling over at 11+ popping up the RTT and crashing - not camping. From the perspective of law enforcement they have to think it is one more tired driver off the road. I'v never ran into any problems doing this. Used to do it in my truck cap all the time as well.

As for keeping warm we use sheets and a duvet when it it warm and sleeping bags when it is cooler. Getting in an out can be a bit brisk when it's cold out - put on warm clothes and you're warm in a few minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998