Very interesting Mercedes 4x4 van ...

kai38

Explorer
I'm not sure if my wife was kidding but said I should fly up and get it before it starts snowing bring it back to NM for our planned Alaska trip next June.
Top speed was only 85km (55 +/-) Can it be regeared for better highway use?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'm not sure if my wife was kidding but said I should fly up and get it before it starts snowing bring it back to NM for our planned Alaska trip next June.
Top speed was only 85km (55 +/-) Can it be regeared for better highway use?

Ask the owner, he seems to know exactly what's in it mechanically.

And no, she wasn't kidding... :)

CuStOm

Adventurer
I did quite a bit of research into these a while ago when one was for sale locally. This one is very nice and in great condition. The only issue is its 105hp of late 80's carburetor technology with a slushy automatic from the era. I really don't think any amount of gearing changes will help top speed that much. Can't cheat physics, lack of power and aerodynamics of a brick. The only way I would consider this is if I had the strong intentions of swapping in a newer MB engine/transmission. What I read in the German forums thanks to Google translate is its not terribly difficult just more time and money investment. Choices choices...

Whoa, big red flag here. I personally know the previous Swiss owners here in Anchorage. They sold this van less than three weeks ago for less than $13k usd. When the craigslist ad says that they "changed their overland plans", its because they found significant amounts of metal in the transmission fluid, and had reason to believe the transmission was going to give out at any moment. They parked the van, cut their trip short and sold it before winter hit.

Unless I missed it, I dont see any mention of it in this ad. Unless the new owner has addressed this issue, this would be a major factor to consider before purchase.

adam88

Explorer
Whoa, big red flag here. I personally know the previous Swiss owners here in Anchorage. They sold this van less than three weeks ago for less than $13k usd. When the craigslist ad says that they "changed their overland plans", its because they found significant amounts of metal in the transmission fluid, and had reason to believe the transmission was going to give out at any moment. They parked the van, cut their trip short and sold it before winter hit.

Unless I missed it, I dont see any mention of it in this ad. Unless the new owner has addressed this issue, this would be a major factor to consider before purchase.

*** AS I KEEP POSTING ON THESE FORUMS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN ***

There. Are. Flippers. Everywhere. On. Craigslist.

People need to watch out for these people who buy vehicles and then try and sell them for 2x or 3x the price. They are NOT truthful about the history of vehicles. They are merely trying to take advantage of the popularity of these types of vehicles and unsuspecting young millennials who are not mechanically inclined.

*** DO NOT TRUST ANYONE ON CRAIGSLIST ***

Here's some proof. If you contact the seller with serious interest in purchasing the van, ask about the transmission and wait to see if they lie about it. If they do, you can follow up with your proof if you wish.

Note - please don't brigade or witch hunt this seller. For all I know, he has made an honest omission and is fully intending to disclose the mechanical issues to any potential buyers.

20170905_091739.jpg

CuStOm

Adventurer
It would be great if we could all flag this every time we see it listed without mention of the transmission. The double price flip is enough on its own. The community needs to do its best to not make this so easy for these ********************.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior