Very, Very slight stumble on the freeway

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well BD, just a thought, but

Usually when the engine "stumbles", it's not ONE intermittant plug/wire

A stumble usually means PRIMARY, coil/ignition/ignition keys hanging/battery positive fuses (at battery)distributer ECM plug

You didn't mention CRUISE CONTROL, that alone is another bag of worms

Good luck

:wings::bike_rider::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

correct, I agree with that. I think I'll start with easy stuff like wire brushing ground wires and re-attaching, checking all pertinant sensors for melted wires etc. Once I get my HF multimeter, I can start checking accurately for bad sensors. :victory:

Oh, and I have cruise control but it doesn't work and I haven't tried fiddling with it. I don't use cruiseon our van, either, even though it has it. :) I LIKE driving. haha!

thanks, man.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Check vacuum lines too while you are at it.

good suggestion. I still cannot fathom why they used those stupid plastic
rigid lines in such a high temp compartment...lol.

Would a vacuum leak be intermittant? I guess if the leak is intermittant, the stumble would follow suit.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Get it good and hot and remove the intake boot to the throttle body. Rev the engine and spray your garden hose into the engine. This breaks up carbon on the intake and head and even cleans the cat. Just keep your hand on the throttle and don't kill the engine. Think about how much volume is going through your engine and you will see that even a good shot of water won't come close to hydrolocking your engine. It's the oldest trick in the book to clean out carbon but scary as hell the first time you do it. It works well because the hot engine turns the water to steam. This breaks up a lot of gunk and throws it out the pipe.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Get it good and hot and remove the intake boot to the throttle body. Rev the engine and spray your garden hose into the engine. This breaks up carbon on the intake and head and even cleans the cat. Just keep your hand on the throttle and don't kill the engine. Think about how much volume is going through your engine and you will see that even a good shot of water won't come close to hydrolocking your engine. It's the oldest trick in the book to clean out carbon but scary as hell the first time you do it. It works well because the hot engine turns the water to steam. This breaks up a lot of gunk and throws it out the pipe.

my wife would divorce me if i did that. next?

inked33

Adventurer
i had a similiar problem in my truck recently and it turned out to be the fuel pump starting to go bad. id try the easy fixes first but something to keep im mind if none of those seem to fix it

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I feel like I can put some closure In this discussion. No stumble in weeks, completely different throttle feel.

New TPS in this case. I tested it with a multimeter and found the old one to have a ton of resistance and a ton of dead spots when I switched to voltage and tested it through the range of the throttle Input

Thanks for everyone's help on this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12