Vests

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I have been thinking of the merits of a photography / tactical type vest. Amazon has several - from full synthetics to oiled cotton.

The idea is to have a place for the small essentials that is more easily accessible than a pack. Things such as: keys, bear spray, auto pistol mags, GPS, batteries, Midland hand held, snacks etc. If I should go on a venture out of camp, or just a long hike in the mountains with Max, I can see a vest in conjunction with my Camel Back MULE being very useful.

Anyone use a vest(s) and if so, what is there to look for and look out for?
:ylsmoke:

haven

Expedition Leader
I've got a photographer's vest by Domke that has held up well over the years. It's 100% cotton so it gets kind of soggy if you're caught out in the rain, but it's comfortable to wear over a T-shirt when it's hot.

Here's the link to the Domke web page. Click on "vests" to see the product.
http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=domke

Chip Haven

bucketosudz

Explorer
Depends on what look you are going for but www.thevestguy.com has some nice ideas, can custom make one to your desire. He does really great work, I have seen a couple of his vests in action when I was with the Red Cross. FWIW.

I like this vest from Boyt Harness a lot.
SA500.jpg

I know it is a heavy rifle shooting vest, but I like it none the less. It also has a large pocket in the back. I emailed customer service at Boyt and suggested they make this same vest as a travel vest by removing the shooting patches and replacing the cartridge loops with upper pockets. The intern who corresponded with me couldn't quite grasp the concept. This vest bucks the old-guy-in-travel-vest image.:ylsmoke:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The price range for these things is insane.

-- Accepting that the Tilley is probably overpriced (like the hats), it will none the less be superb.

-- I bought a Tamrac vest, if only because I have Tamrac camera bags. It was in about the middle of the price range.

You will either like the journalist/photographer/Jungle Jim look or not. They can be great for airports - keep everything zipped up in the vest, throw the vest on the belt, and you are through.

jcbrandon

Explorer
an alternative

...You will either like the journalist/photographer/Jungle Jim look or not. They can be great for airports - keep everything zipped up in the vest, throw the vest on the belt, and you are through.

If you don't like that look, consider a Presentation Jacket from Duluth Trading.
Same functionality in airport security, plus you look like you might be going to a meeting. Mine's got 13 pockets including two zippered and four that button closed. I almost always wear this on airplane trips and it's useful enough to be my light jacket when I arrive.

Notice how spiffy I look in mine, below:

Probably not the best choice for carrying bear spray and pistol magazines. But a good choice for a water bottle and a copy of Overland Journal.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I've been experimenting with carrying my dirt bike gear in a molle-type load bearing vest, instead of the Dakine pack that I usually ride with. I dig it. Distributes the weight really well. Take a look at Ogio's flight vest if you want to buy something off-the-shelf.

Photog

Explorer
I have a number of different photo-vests. None of them seem like they would be good for hiking.

We recently purchased a pair of Upland Vests, from Cabela's. They are designed for bird hunting, but we use them for photography. They could use a little padding in the pockets for the lenses.

They work great for carying "stuff". Lots of pockets, sturdy, easy access to the large pockets. We did not get the blaze orange version.

The big bulge in the back is my largest lens. This was much easier to use than my camera pack.
LMP_4787a.jpg

LMP_4346a.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a Nikon Vestrap that I used to use when I carried an N70 around. It is still hanging in the closet. (and the N70 is too!)
product_84878.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Untitled
Used to wear a Banana Republic photo vest back when I was younger working as a PJ. I put it away really quickly because I didn't want to look like a photographer. I've never used one since.

I make fun of people that wear photo vests...unless they are EP members! :victory:

xx.xii

Observer
i have a couple of vest and packs set up, i stick with more mil spec type companies such as blackhawk,t.a.g., diamondback, maxepedition, etc. if u want a vest to carry the items u listed u could go with a tac vest with molle webbing so u could configure ur vest to how u need it, on one of mine i run two camelbak hydration pouches on the back, one for the camelbak and one for storage, it also has room for adding first aid kit, chem lights fit in the webbing, and u could place pistol mag pouches where u want them if u feel u need that type of gear,..i do lol...dangerous people are all around,anywayz, the vest others have listed will also provide the basic attributes u were looking for, and its not as noticeable so u could still keep discretion on ur side.

i think a back pack would be great still since it can hold more if and when u need, the pack can remain close to empty just for this purpose, some people load up too much in a pack,it all depends on ur ''situation''...

i would go with a small pack,maxpedition makes some nice gear for descent price...u gta look online for the deals on them,if their packs cost 125 on their site, u can get for around 80 somewhere else.

hope this helped from my .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998