Victory Overland M416 Build!

This will probably be the slowest M416 Trailer build thread, but I'm starting it anyway. I live on Hawaii and M416 are super hard to find. I picked this gem up today for $280 and I'm super stoked. Yes it has rust but the good news is, I have access to a Flow-Jet water jet to make some good repairs. The undercarriage is in really good shape, has some surface rust but rolls and tows nicely. The basket is not in the greatest shape but I am thinking more than fixable or I wouldn't have bought.

First things first! It has the hydraulic brake set up installed, doesn't currently work and I will most likely fix it up but go for electronic breaks vice hydraulic but we shall see. Frame looks to be in good shape, suspension, and wheels. I will fully rewire it all to new technology and LED lighting with battery and solar set up eventually.

Anyone have any suggestions right out of the gate on what I should do for this trailer? I want to remove the pintle and go with a coupler? Any suggestion on which off-road coupler is best? I will most likely extend the tongue as well once the box comes off and I media blast the frame to see the condition.

I will probably keep the wheels and get a spare. Not sure what the bolt pattern is for these but I can find new school Jeep wheels all over here so I might get three with new MT tires and stick with that even though I will be towing it with my Land Rover LR3.

Not bad for $280 in my opinion. :wings:

Victory_Overland_416_Build.jpg

2t2-crash

Observer
what are you pulling it with? I pulled my 416 with an added 440lbs of trash in it with my 87 Jeep Cherokee and couldnt even feel it behind me stopping or going. These are really light trailers, unless you are doing some mountain offroading you might not need the brakes?
beautiful trailer at a steal of a price BTW. congrats.

what are you pulling it with? I pulled my 416 with an added 440lbs of trash in it with my 87 Jeep Cherokee and couldnt even feel it behind me stopping or going. These are really light trailers, unless you are doing some mountain offroading you might not need the brakes?
beautiful trailer at a steal of a price BTW. congrats.

Going to be pulling it with my 08 Land Rover LR3. Empty I didn't even feel it back there at less than 500lbs. It'll get my RTT and battery box, shower and kitchen and drawer set up so I'm guessing my target goal is to keep the trailer build under 1000lbs when loaded. I know that is unlikely but I will surly shoot for that.

Looking at getting the Rock-N-Roll coopler set up and extend the tongue right away. Then I can set the tow height once I have those parts here to do the tongue extension.

Drop off at my house with the Flow-Jet in it.
Do you have any picture of the in side ?

hahaha..yeah I saw that coming! I will post some pictures up later tonight if I get time. The top looks aftermarket of course but serves a function of protection right now. Not sure I will keep that part and most likely look to manufacture my own tilt lid.

tropics

Aloha,
Welcome to the not may M416 trailers club in Hawaii, I saw that trailer on the Craigslist and thought Hmmm, but you know what wives say when you show up at home with another trailer. It looks to be really good shape, congrats on the find. Hit me up if you got any questions, I got a couple M416's that ive done work too.

Mahalos

Aloha,
Welcome to the not may M416 trailers club in Hawaii, I saw that trailer on the Craigslist and thought Hmmm, but you know what wives say when you show up at home with another trailer. It looks to be really good shape, congrats on the find. Hit me up if you got any questions, I got a couple M416's that ive done work too.

Mahalos

It's in pretty rough shape but in pretty good Hawaii shape. You know what I mean. lol. But finding an M416 here has been a challenge and the money saved would on that price was worth it. Mainland prices are ridiculous and I want gonna add that to the shipping cost. lol.

Where you at on Hawaii?

tropics

It's in pretty rough shape but in pretty good Hawaii shape. You know what I mean. lol. But finding an M416 here has been a challenge and the money saved would on that price was worth it. Mainland prices are ridiculous and I want gonna add that to the shipping cost. lol.

Where you at on Hawaii?

Hey, I'm in Honolulu. Were always passing by Kailua side on our way to Bellows to go camping. Just finding any kind of M416 on Oahu is pretty tough, almost never see them listed for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman