Victron Charge Settings (?) for Batteries Plus X2Power AGM

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes Dyno is excellent.

They and Rolls/Surrette are the only FLA makers whose 4D/8D are true deep cycle.

Too heavy for me though!

john61ct

Adventurer
In my experience the Duracells at Sam's have a gray case, but the SLIGC115 one, EGC2 size is definitely a Deka Pro Master GC15.

Note with separate companies, the buyer/brand owner can change the supplier annually if they want.

Deka actually own the Duracell brand themselves, Batteries+ and Sam's are just distribution channels.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
On the X2Power ones, I don't think there's likely to be too much corner cutting if they're willing to offer a longer warranty than Northstar does (3 vs 4 year, both full replacement, no pro-rating). There's no significant price difference either from what I've seen. The big thing that led me to the X2 instead of the Northstar is that I could drive to the store and walk out with the X2 in hand.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, thinner distribution, having to call the maker to find a local outlet is one inconvenience with the top brands.

SETundra

My understanding of the general approach is that voltage boost amount will vary with amps. Not much boost anyway.

I use Balmar MC-614 external VR where alt charging is a dominant charge source, fully adjustable user profiles.

Or a Sterling DC-DC charger when the bank gets charged by a variety of sources, e.g. a portable LFP bank moved between different boats / vehicles / off-grid cabins.

I don't know what your getting at here. You obviously have your favorite brands and idea of the perfect setup. I went for something that will work for my needs and budget. A simple voltage booster to be able to charge the battery at 14.4 instead of 13.9 while driving is good enough for me. I paid $10, how much do all your charging devices cost?

Back to the X2, sure B+ is Northstars customer. However, dictating their own specs to slightly different than what Northstar already manufacturers usually wouldn't save much money. Usually cheaper to manufacturer the same product and stick a different label on it at the end. Have you looked at the specs anyways? Exact same CCA and reserve capacity, weights are listed at a 1 lb difference, and a .01" difference in height. Same specs, same production facility, different label, different retailer.

I saved 20% plus a year extra warranty over the Northstar branded version, plus have local stores if I ever need to use the warranty. To me that was a no brainer.

Sorry, but your personal opinions that are working out great for you are not going to be the best for everyone.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I don't know what your getting at here. You obviously have your favorite brands and idea of the perfect setup. I went for something that will work for my needs and budget. A simple voltage booster to be able to charge the battery at 14.4 instead of 13.9 while driving is good enough for me. I paid $10, how much do all your charging devices cost?

Back to the X2, sure B+ is Northstars customer. However, dictating their own specs to slightly different than what Northstar already manufacturers usually wouldn't save much money. Usually cheaper to manufacturer the same product and stick a different label on it at the end. Have you looked at the specs anyways? Exact same CCA and reserve capacity, weights are listed at a 1 lb difference, and a .01" difference in height. Same specs, same production facility, different label, different retailer.

I saved 20% plus a year extra warranty over the Northstar branded version, plus have local stores if I ever need to use the warranty. To me that was a no brainer.

Sorry, but your personal opinions that are working out great for you are not going to be the best for everyone.

I was wondering how this has worked out? I see B+ has 5 year warranty now. No longer says Northstar but has a NSBG on the battery assuming nothstar battery group. I like how there are B+ in every town and most stock them. Looking for a Northstar or Odyssey I have to order them so if I am on the road kind of out of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998