Victron Charger/Inverter, MPPT control and Battery Management Systems - Reviews?

S2DM

Adventurer
Into wiring and layout on the electrical system of our camper. I know many of the higher end EU builders like Bliss use Victron components in their builds, as do many high end marine set ups including some Navy patrol boats. I havent been able to find many user reviews and was hoping some on the forum might have some insight.

It is expensive, but not much more than a comparable system from outback or the other higher end guys. And I love the control system Victron has that allows you to manage all of your components from a single display, as well as their battery management from LiFEPO4 batteries. I'd been veering towards the higher end componentry due to the cost of the Lithium batteries and wanting to ensure they are charged, monitored and balanced properly at all times. The Victron suite was attractive because all of the components talk to each other and it is built for Lithium.

Can anyone with a Victron set up comment on how it has been in practice?

The components we have tentatively ordered are

Victron Multi Plus 12/3000 boosting inverter (allows hydridized shore power and battery output)
Victron Blue Solar 150/85 (handles up to 85 amps at 12v - our solar array is ~ 1000 watts)
Color Control GX - Main display and control panel for all components
VE Bus BMS - Battery control for the LiFePO4
BP200i - Hard disconnect for low voltage - shuts your system down before batteries completely discharge
+/- A Cyrix Li Ct to connect starter batteries to the lithium for control of alternator output (this is an area Im still weak on).

2x200ah LiFePO4 batteries (likely Victron)

Something like this

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Can anyone with a Victron set up comment on how it has been in practice?

In a word, Excellent.

All the components are programmable to whatever voltages and current your batteries need, rather than a generic "lithium" setting.

The Multiplus do everything you could ever want and more, they can even feed excess solar back into the grid when you're at home!

The CCGX is brilliant, its the only screen we have visible in the camper and displays everything we need to know. The GPS tracking is super neat too!

The VRM portal is fantastic, you can look back at years of data to better understand how the various components of your power system are performing over time. I was able to use this to identify one of our portal panels was about to fail because one day the output had dropped significantly compared to the previous few weeks.

All Victron gear comes with a 5 year warranty which gave us piece of mind. In our system we've got 2 Multiplus in parallel, 2 MPPT controllers, 2 DCDC converters , etc for redundancy so the large investment was made easier knowing Victron would stand behind the system for 5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online