Video- Full Transmission Fluid Flush on Toyota Tundra 5.7L (and Tacoma and Sequoias?)

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Toyota in their infinite wisdom decided to discourage home mechanics from working on their Automatic Transmissions. They also made the claim that their WS transmission fluid was good for 100k and that you don't even need a dipstick to measure that the level has stayed the same over those 7-8 years of ownership.
And it's completely unrelated that they'll charge you $100 to check the level, $200 to change the oil in the AT drainpan, $450 to flush all the fluid, and that's all so much work they just recommend you swap out for a new $4500 transmission if you suspect a problem.

Turns out it's actually pretty easy to flush the whole system yourself if you have average mechanics skills; and if like me you think that 100k is too long to leave fluid in a vehicle. Somebody at the TundraTalk.net forum mentioned that there wasn't a Youtube video of how to do it so I made one up.

This doesn't involve the full process of dropping the drain pan and swapping out the filter screen in there. Most people when I was researching online said the filter was fine when they did it and didn't recommend going that far. Plus I was just looking for something comparable to an Engine Oil, or differential oil drain and replacement.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Toyota in their infinite wisdom decided to discourage home mechanics from working on their Automatic Transmissions. They also made the claim that their WS transmission fluid was good for 100k and that you don't even need a dipstick to measure that the level has stayed the same over those 7-8 years of ownership.
And it's completely unrelated that they'll charge you $100 to check the level, $200 to change the oil in the AT drainpan, $450 to flush all the fluid, and that's all so much work they just recommend you swap out for a new $4500 transmission if you suspect a problem.

Turns out it's actually pretty easy to flush the whole system yourself if you have average mechanics skills; and if like me you think that 100k is too long to leave fluid in a vehicle. Somebody at the TundraTalk.net forum mentioned that there wasn't a Youtube video of how to do it so I made one up.

This doesn't involve the full process of dropping the drain pan and swapping out the filter screen in there. Most people when I was researching online said the filter was fine when they did it and didn't recommend going that far. Plus I was just looking for something comparable to an Engine Oil, or differential oil drain and replacement.

F150 is serviced the exact same way. So don't bash on Toyota. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears