Video in extreme cold

Scott Brady

Founder
Does anyone have experience with capturing video in extreme cold? Tapes freezing, lens fogging, battery life, etc.

We are looking at a cover to go over the GL1 with heating pads, but have no idea how well these work.

Some advice from someone who has been there would be great.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Scott,

This is just a shot in the dark, but this guy who does the Survivorman series shoots all his own footage and he has done several cold (including Artic) shows.

http://www.lesstroudonline.com/

He may be willing to offer advice to a fellow adventurer such as yourself.

Good luck!

pwc

Explorer
A common enough problem. Ask over at dpreview.com

For battery life, hook up a two chargers in your truck, mounted some place semi-permanent, and always keep batteries in them. this is for one camera. Which battery does teh GL1 take? For some reason I thought it was the same BP511, but I'm probably wrong. Keeping the batteries in the charger will keep them warm and ready as you know the charge drops off fast in the cold.

Or get a small insulated sack and put a hand warmer in there with the batteries. Or boil water and pour it into a stainless water bottle and do the same. that will keep them warm.

A mentioned, keep the camera lens cold. But not neccessairly the camera. Some sensors don't like cold.

There's probably some sort of camera muff you can use for the GL but anything for a Canon D would be bulky.

Lastly, consider keeping the camera on he outside of the truck, maybe in a pelican, while driving in low crime areas. At night, put it in the truck for safe keeping or your tent. Keeping it on the outside will keep it at the right temp. Even if you kept it in the fridge inside the truck, you stand a good chance of catching condensation on he lens when you move it from the fridge, through the heated cab, to the outside. if the truck cab is always below freezing, then it's not much of a worry.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Its already been mentioned but avoid warming and cooling of the camera, the condensation really messes things up, including the tapes. I always keep the extra batteries on an inside pocket in my jacket in order to keep them warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior