VIDEO LAND ROVER STUCK IN THE STORM

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Albert,
Certainly an adventure!

Considering all that was going on, well done on making someone the dedicated videographer so that all of the action was captured.
It looks like you also had fun editing the video and made the best of a tough day.

Regards,
Brian

superbuickguy

Explorer
We went out for a ride and when it was time to go back the river had got bigger because it was raining very hard.

You said that 3 of 4 were mechanics - how would that help you folks if you drown? Honestly, take a wilderness first aid class and perhaps a water rescue course. Or, you could leave a mechanic at home and take along someone who can fix/rescue you when the worst happens. I ain't your parent, and frankly, I don't care when I pull a dead person out of the river - I do feel bad for their families who get to live with the stupid choices of a dead man.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I didn't think it was horrible or really stupid. It was probably meant to be an action film. as there is a part two coming up anyway. get off your soap boxes and chill out.

What you said suggests to me that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This wasn't driving through a mud puddle, if the guy with the rope had fallen off the hood, he'd have been dead - to what purpose? I get playing in the wilderness and have made my share of dumb decisions; with that said, some learn from the mistakes of others... the others, when we pull the bodies out of the river, you can bet we'll be safe about it... or we'll simply leave the body there.

wuntenn

Adventurer
I agree with the first part of your comment: "You said that 3 of 4 were mechanics - how would that help you folks if you drown? Honestly, take a wilderness first aid class and perhaps a water rescue course."

But not this bit:

I ain't your parent, and frankly, I don't care when I pull a dead person out of the river - I do feel bad for their families who get to live with the stupid choices of a dead man.

I'm not defending Albert, nor impugning you, but simply want to point out to any dispassionate readers that your attitude towards victims is not one held by most SAR people I know.

Often casualties are not victims of "stupid choices" but simply choices - but ones that nature disagreed with. And many of them are women, and sometimes even children. Most SAR folk I know (a lot) DO care when they pull a dead person from the water - it's that concern that it could be them there and needing help that drives them to risk their own lives for others, and many I know have gone the extra mile to try to retrieve bodies, often working on for what might even turn out to be a year looking for missing people.

Scathing criticism that might prevent (some) folk from summoning help for fear they may get castigated for being "stupid" doesn't help anyone.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
What you said suggests to me that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This wasn't driving through a mud puddle, if the guy with the rope had fallen off the hood, he'd have been dead - to what purpose? I get playing in the wilderness and have made my share of dumb decisions; with that said, some learn from the mistakes of others... the others, when we pull the bodies out of the river, you can bet we'll be safe about it... or we'll simply leave the body there.
I seriously doubt he posted that video so you could micromanage his life choices. Are people not allowed to take risks anymore?

newhue

Adventurer
Hello Brian,
First of all thanks for your interest and not judge before knowing the background story.
We are a team of 4 or 5 cars with prepared cars and three of them (not me) are mechanics.
We went out to spend a day. they said it was going to rain but not so much.when we started it was sunny but later it started to rain hard. The river you can see at the beginning is the second river we crossed.The blue defender crossed and the rest of us seeing the big river decided not to cross and we had to go back the way we had come, but by then the first river we had crossed some hours before had grown much bigger too. Two discoverys that didnt have a snorkle decided to park there and not cross. the maroon discovery and me managed to pass. the blue defender didnt cross fast enough and the current left him stuck between two rocks. it was completely dark and we had to go back home. we were in the middle of nowhere, cold and it was raining as you can see. we were trapped between two big rivers. we were 8 people and someone had to cross!

Regards

Albert

Albert,
I hope there is some lessons here. No you don't have to cross.
Some people create little emergency traveling kits. They contain stuff adequate for an overnight stay. Some do it when travelling with kids as well. Firers, floods, track conditions, break down, night fall and so on all create situations where you fail to proceed, and may have to spend the night un expected. A little food, water, blanket or sleeping bag, rain coat, change of clothes, jacket, torch, batteries, battery powered radio, whatever you want really can make it all the more comfortable and safer if the situation arrises.

To the Mod who deleted my first post. Given the tone of the other posts, I find you were a little to proactive. Would a statement like great car, awesome adventure, love your work be more suitable. If the Defender moved in the flood waters un expectingly and ol mate got swept away then most likely Albert would be going to his funeral. Would it be OK if he post that up? So not worth it.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
and you where there in the thick of it?

that's what I thought.............

Oh, no someone didn't agree with you......now because you are on the interwebs, you know everything........

ha ha ha ha, you kill me.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Happens. Good friend told me as a kid he use to do big cross country trips by dirt bike in AZ this was a long time ago. Even as a kid he said there were a few times a couple of them would need to seek high ground and park it for a day waiting for the flash floods to drop off so they could get on with getting back home. He said his parents never really worried too much given they knew the "boys" would park it on high ground and wait for help or wait out the weather etc.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I think this is awesome. The most "Land Rover" video I have seen posted online in years. Everyone pines for the "good old Camel Trophy days"... well here ya go. Couple of guys out there one life living it. And I gotta say, they were more intelligent and better prepared for the recovery than 90% of the masses on this forum. Bravo.

Maybe you'd rather watch Clay Croft eat ice cream with a titanium spork, but not me. I'll take this action every time.

Last edited:

Eniam17

Adventurer
^^^ hahahaha great post! Everyone loves the CT videos with the vehicles submerged bobbing in the river and the team floating along next to them, but one guy posts a defender stuck in a river and people criticize.

Live and let live

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Why does anyone give a rats *** about what this guy does with HIS truck, HIS equipment, HIS time and HIS life? All the power to him!

newhue

Adventurer
Down here there is a mob called 4x4 Action, they make their money flogging accessories mostly to incoming 4x4 enthusiasts. We also have governments closing access to State Forrest, National Parks at a rate never seen before. 4x4 Action love to make a DVD that basically says put lockers in your car, bigger exhausts, bigger tires, chip it.....then engages all and launch it. That's what 4x4ing is all about. A lot of it doesn't really affect the environment, but when you see a 5 blokes driving their pride and joy like they stole it in the name of adventure, it doesn't look good.
National Parks won't admit it, but appear to be closing access for their own staff's OHS requirements. But use public safety and environmental protection as the main reasons. Many of the tracks have been there for 100 to 150 years, and all of a sudden a rare frog or plant is found, or a slop, track, is deemed to dangerous for the public. In reality NP's don't want to find Arthurs mate on their land dead, and give their staff the regrettable job or retrieving him, thus exposing NP's up line to litigation. Something Australia has truly embraced after watching the American lawyers.

The media also love to find some stranded 4x4er bogged in lands where he should never have been, like some wet lands, Aboriginal lands, or anywhere that has been closed off so they can make a buck from it as well.

Yes we all look for adventure, but putting a mate on a bonnet in flooding waters when the only reason is to get home doesn't chime the bell in my books. I'd bet the organisers of Camel would have said no to that one unless down river was smoothing out and it was possible to rescue any competitor in need. And putting a line on Arthurs mate is only going to act as a anchor point to pull him under unless he has a life jacket on. Even then the jacket can fail with depths and currents.
So these type videos can have a knock on effect where young 4x4ers see them and feel that's what it's all about, they go out, drown or basically write off the car on finance, or break a heap of stuff.
Maybe I'm boring, everyone has a right to wreck their property, and kill themselves if they wish. But watching videos was how I cut my teeth as younger person. Too cool to join a club, or ask someone who knew. Just watch then go do, maybe it a younger thing. Nowadays I watch for what not to do, so just trying to be a voice of think it through more.

I have seen many young blokes drive their 4x4 over a virgin sand dunes in the name of adventure. Creating a break in the vegetation to allow for erosion, and encourage more to follow. Leaving their beer bottles behinds because it took 2 beers to get the car off the crest of the dune, then low and behold the area gets closed or restricted. Another place, another freedom gone....

I never have said an ill word against any member on this forum, but some of the quick-tempered comments upset me.

Does anyone else find it ironic that on a forum dedicated to exploring new places and meeting new people, members are quickly attacking and berating someone that obviously speaks English as a second language and may find it difficult to translate their actions?

Parts of the video look very staged, so I simply enjoyed for entertainment values. As someone with WFR, ARC LG, Swift Water Rescue, SAR I, etc. etc. etc. trainings, I understand some may be irked by this video; but I'm more concerned by the guy that claims to do SAR, and states "I don't care when I have to pull a dead person out of a river". The whole point of SAR is to hope you never have to do that. Having pulled two bodies from the water myself, I hope I never have to do it again, and I cared deeply that we were too late for them, as any compassionate human being would.

Perhaps Part II will shed more light on the subject. Until then, it seems to have generated exactly the kind of response they were probably going for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online