Video of Deploying and Packing a Hannibal Awning

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
By popular demand, I've posted a couple of short videos on YouTube demonstrating how a Hannibal awning is deployed and packed (in this case, with nearly frostbitten finger tips, and the scenic backdrop of the Cox Cable equipment yard in Omaha). These videos won't win any Academy Awards, but will give you the general idea.

Deploying a Hannibal awning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CXlOvzNvBM

Packing a Hannibal awning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9LmiuEqX8

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
What (if anything) keeps the arms and awning "square" to the vehicle?

It seems like having the awning stretched over the arms will sort of keep things parallel, but that there could be some "trapezoidal" movement of the arms unless you really haul down on all the velcro straps...

On the other side of the coin, I love any awning system that doesn't involve ground poles and guy lines. I really wanted a Fiamma with the body-mounted sockets for the poles, but they wouldn't line up (really anywhere) on my van...

What is the snow weight limit of the awning? I would be intrested if I could use it for lunch break a the ski slopes at lunch/break time.

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Hey Herbie-

The velcro straps are not what holds the parallel arms in place (they just keep the awning from flapping in the wind). When you roll out the awning, there is 1.5" aluminum tube sewn into the end (which spans the width of the awning) which has fittings on each end that fit snugly into holes on the awning arms. These fittings also have locking swivel-pins that secures the fitting into the hole on the awning arms. This provides the lateral structure of the awning, and prevents it from folding (or even moving, for that matter) when it's windy. I've got a picture, but I can't seem to figure out how to insert it in this post. Send me an email, and I'll send the picture back to you.

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
I'm not certain on snow weight capacity. There's supposed to be 6"-10" of snow here this weekend. Maybe I'll leave the awning open and see how it does. I'll keep you posted.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
As promised, here's the photo Dan sent of the end of the awning slotted into the support arm.

Hannibal_Awnging_end.jpg

This does help me figure out how the awning stays more "square" to the vehicle.

desmocruiser

Observer
Looks good and seems simple and quick to deploy.

How difficult are these to mount to an African Outback rack for a 80 series LC?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the slot in the sliding tab is at an angle. By firmly pressing on those that would serve to take out any slack at the outer corners.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hello Dan,
Thanks for posting the video's. I took a quick peek and guess what, I have been storing my awning wrong for I don't know how long. Here is what it looks like now. Tomorrow I am going to get out and close it up with the arms inside the awning. I'm thinking this is going to solve the squeaking I hear in the bushings as well.

Thanks again!!

DSC_1882.jpg

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Looks good and seems simple and quick to deploy.

How difficult are these to mount to an African Outback rack for a 80 series LC?

The standard mounting hardware for the awnings is designed to go on a Hannibal rack, but the AO racks appear to be very similar. The interior dimensions of the mounting clamp (where it clamps onto the rack) is 2" tall x 1" wide. The other thing to consider is the length of the rack. You'll need 72" of horizontal rack length to install the rack.

Hope this helps-

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the slot in the sliding tab is at an angle. By firmly pressing on those that would serve to take out any slack at the outer corners.

That is correct. I don't know if Land Rover invented that system, but I've never seen it anywhere else. It's commonly used on the tailgates of old Series Rovers. It's called an "anti-luce" clip, or something like that, which I assume is pronounce "anti-loosey", for obviously reasons.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I know Bill (Hilldweller) has them on his Conqueror Compact trailer also, maybe they are a S Africa thing?

Simple, and they work good...

~ James

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Does anybody have experience with the Hannibal's in heavy rain? There's not much slope to them, so I wonder if they would turn into a bathtub and collapse in a heavy rainstorm.

JackW

Explorer
Mine shed rain pretty well in a deluge last September. We had a strong rainstorm blow in at a car show and it didn't collect much water. I didn't have side straps pulled too tightly either.

theMec

Adventurer
Does anybody have experience with the Hannibal's in heavy rain? There's not much slope to them, so I wonder if they would turn into a bathtub and collapse in a heavy rainstorm.

Very interesting to see how this sets up. It's pretty fast. I wondered about the slope as well. I have a Carefree Freedom III with the body mount sockets. It's easy to slope but it doesn't have the beefy horizontal supports. Pros & Cons to everything, I guess. Thanks for the video!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears