#VincentVanGo!

rollieman

Hello and Welcome!

This thread is for a 2011 Ford e350 RB V10 6.8L that I have planned and built with my fiancé. We have had help along the way from my father, my grandfather, and my fiance's grandfather. It's been quite the process with lots of ups and downs, and we are far from done, but I now feel good about starting the thread for this van that we are calling Vincent Van Go!

To tell this story I have to go back just a little bit. Before this van I had bought a 2006 Ford e350 6.0L diesel that was riddled with engine problems. So many so that to get the big problems fixed it would've cost almost as much as I paid for the van. And that wasn't even to be sure that all the problems would be fixed and to me it wasn't worth keeping. So after some leg work I was able to sell that van and start over. The search for Vinny had begun. We found him at a commercial truck trader in San Diego and I was very happy with him. He was a work truck for a gas and electric company so he had been regularly maintained and even still had all the work cabinetry inside which I was able to sell and make a little startup build money on.
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg

With all the work cabinets out we had a huge workspace to begin with. We began the build by building a bed box pushed all the way to the passenger side rear, leaving the whole driver side available for cabinets. We built a box tall enough that we could sit up in the van and not hit our heads but allowed us to have enough storage space under the bed. We built two 4 foot long drawers that pull out of the back, as well as a giant storage space inside the van accessible by lifting up the front end of the bed. Both ends of the bed lift up for easy access and the front half has hinges on it that holds it up turning the bed into a lounge chair facing out the back of the van.
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg

Before we even had a chance to really enjoy the van, tragedy struck... While out of town visiting my girlfriend's parents in Arizona, the van was hit by what we assume was a drunk driver... The whole front driver side was trashed. Insurance was supposed to be handling everything, but really let things slip through the crack. Even with me calling every day to bug them, what was supposed to be a 1 week fix took over 5 weeks...
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

rollieman

#VincentVanGo! Part 2

Once we finally had the van back we immediately went for a camping trip out to Anza Borrego that I had been dying to take! The reason for that was that I had been planning to propose to my girlfriend when we had returned from that Arizona trip, but because of the delayed car repairs the timeline got dramatically pushed back. But anyways, great news! She said yes and we had an incredible trip and we were happy on how the van handled even in its stock form.
IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg

We definitely took the van on some roads we maybe shouldn't have been on but that led to really wanting to beef up suspension on the van (read on for suspension upgrades). When we got back from the desert we immediately got to work on the interior as we had a planned 10 day trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in a little less than 2 months. Insulation was a must. So we began by completely gutting the van. It was dirty but not as bad as I was expecting. We cleaned up any rust and cleaned as best as we could so we could start the van as new as possible.
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg

Reflectix insulation on the side and ceilings was up next as well as RattleTrap on the entire floor.
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg

rollieman

#VincentVanGo! Part 3

After that was the walls. 1x3 horizontal beams were added to the walls, then 4x8 wood panel sheets on top of that. The templates for the walls took the longest time, but taking the time to make them really helped.
IMG_0707.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

We then put Vinyl wood plank flooring down on top of the existing sub floor that was in the van when I bought it. They were the lightest and most durable choice and they were super easy to install. The templates for all the corners again being the time consuming part of this whole process.
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg

Next up was suspension. I initially wanted to just level the van for now then eventually lift it. I went to a few places, talked to a couple different people, but after stopping at WeldTec Designs and talking to Jeremy, my fiancé and I were sold on the 4" Ocotillo Cruiser Kit with Fox shocks upgrade. And I have to say we couldn't be happier! The van looks so rad and Jeremy was able to hook it up with a huge deal on some used wheels and tires. These are the tires mounted and balanced.
IMG_0727.jpg
These are the before pictures of the van the day I took it in:
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg
And this is when I picked the van up:
IMG_0766.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg

rollieman

#VincentVanGo! Part 4

I was blown away with how good the van looked but there was more work to be done before our big trip. We then built a cabinet that runs along the whole length of the bed on the driver side and is a foot taller than the bed. The lid for this was done with a weathered pallet board my fiancé found at HomeDepot. We also built a cabinet behind the driver seat with a slide out drawer and the 4 foot drawers that slide out of the back underneath the bed.
IMG_0738.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg
IMG_0763.jpg

rollieman

#VincentVanGo! Part 5

This was as much as we wanted to get done before our trip. We still have plenty to do but this is where we were happy to call it before our trip. And after completing the trip a couple days ago I am so stoked on the van and wish we were still living out of it. The van not only held up but it did AWESOME! It was super comfortable to live in, had plenty of storage and more than handled all of the driving we put it through. We even found a couple dirt roads to romp around on and try to put the WeldTec Designs suspension through its paces. It did fantastic and was super fun to bomb around on. Last up is a couple of photos of the van on our trip.
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0983.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg
GPTempDownload.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg

If you're still reading, thanks and I hope you've enjoyed. As we keep building I'll continue to update and post more pictures. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We are far from done so stay tuned. If you want to see more posts check Instagram for @RBreitenstein and if you are ever in San Diego and want to meet up let me know! I love van meet ups. I got some buddies down here working on builds as well and its super fun checking out what other people are getting into.

Thanks again for reading.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Just when I thought all of the cool van names had already been used.:)

That is a great looking van, and fantastic execution on the interior so far!

rollieman

Lookin Good!!!

makes me miss my econoline.

Thanks for checking it out! saw you got the new transit. are you still enjoying it?? also, I noticed you have the foldaflame.com link on your post. are you apart of that company?? I just found their stuff the other day and it looks amazing! I was curious of how good it works? we started exploring more in Anza Borrego and this would be an awesome addition. thanks for checking out my build!

Great write-up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking out the build!

Great job so far!

Keep on posting, and congrats on your engagement.

Sub'd.

Thanks for checking it out and thanks for the congrats! She's the best and she loves the van! definitely couldn't have done this without her. Best adventure partner a guy could ask for.

Just when I thought all of the cool van names had already been used.:)

That is a great looking van, and fantastic execution on the interior so far!

haha thanks man! Gotta give all the credit to the fiancé on the name. thanks for checking it out and the nice words

FROADER

Adventurer
Killer build and Vince looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned to finish it off.

I love my Ocotillo Cruiser Kit from Weldtec, too.

rollieman

Killer build and Vince looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned to finish it off.

I love my Ocotillo Cruiser Kit from Weldtec, too.

Thanks man! we are a little under halfway done. got A LOT more to do just need more time and money haha. and that's sick you have the Ocotillo Cruiser Kit too! it not only looks rad but it makes the ride so much better. what size tires do you have on yours? I have so many more things I want from weldtec! really dig their bumpers and the fender flares they got made up... like I said.. lots more to do haha. I'll keep posting as we do more

FROADER

Adventurer
Yeah, Weldtec has some great stuff there. I've got 285/75/16s on mine, and I love it. I have barely started mine. The needing time and money thing I the root of all evil! Never enough of either.

We may have to meet up in Anza sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78