Vintage rooftop tent

I just picked up a '60s model rooftop tent with accessories. The brand was a "Campotel" made in Ft. Worth, TX . Anybody have one or know any of the history on them? The PO had all the accessories to the RTT up in the attic and they hadn't been used by him. He had stored the rooftop up on the eaves under his carport by hoist.It was made to sleep 4 people. The outfit came with a changing room,lightweight table w/built-in gas stove and double basin sinks. It also had a galvanized(unused) water tank that hung off the side of the vehicle from the RTT frame. The instructions for use were still inside. I found the only reference with pics of this RTT on a website of vintage campers that are rented out for promotions,etc...
http://www.dougsvintagetrailers.com/home

The canvas appears to be serviceable but I may see about getting new canvas made for it.

Pics of the accessories to the RTT

vintageRTT002.jpg

This mounts behind the RTT on the roof and is a portable kitchen station. The legs are stored underneath the unit. Both sides drop down to make a shelf on either side. An old style Coleman gas two burner stove is made into the unit. Two plastic dish washing basins are in the other end.

galvanized water tank

This actually mounted on the ends of the carriers for the RTT. The shower house mounted over the roof of the vehicle and also over this water tank. The screw off water reservoir filler cap was replaced with one with holes in it. The water tank was rotated so the water would come out the filler cap above the person showering alongside the vehicle.
vintageRTT008.jpg

Another pic of water tank

vintageRTT007.jpg

The RTT was so large I had to wait to take it to the country and store it since it hung out of the back of the truck. I'll try to get pics of it set up. It is rated for 4 persons. I think it would work best on top of a larger vehicle instead of on the smaller military trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle