Vintage Rover pics

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
So Terriann by your reasoning you drive a "fake" Rover then??? Funny, you decry putting Toyota parts in a Rover but it's perfectly "real" to run a domestic V8 and slushbox... I know you're a comitted "Roverphile" and that's great. You're a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to Rovers, and the board is better for it, but me thinks that you're a little full of "the koolaid" when it comes to realisticly admitting the major downfalls of Rovers.
Actually, TeriAnn probably acknowledges Land Rover's shortcomings far more than a lot of the faithful do (her website is proof). She's modified her Series extensively to suit her needs.
I guess I'm just confused at where your bitterness towards Toyotas come from.
Probably from people in the Land Rover forum preaching the obvious superiority of Toyota. :ylsmoke:

I like Toyotas, although I generally find their styling to alternate between derivative, generic, or just plain odd. Scott Brady's '85 pickup was a favorite of mine, and I saw more than a few overseas that I would have liked to bring back. That said, at the end of the day they really don't do much for me. I love SM465s, NP-435s, NV4500s... but I'm not too big on the vehicles they came in. I like Toyota minitruck solid axles, but not enough to drive a Toyota. Parts is parts, and if they don't do the trick for you, you can swap them around. If you're driving a 40 year old 4x4 in its original configuration, you're either very big on maintenance, don't mind driving/stopping slow, are a purist, or don't have the resources to modify the vehicle. Nothing wrong with any of those, but I can't leave well enough alone. For that matter, very few FJ-40s (an semi apples-to-apples comparison with the Series) I've come across still run the original engine. The same could be said of Jeep CJs and pretty much every other 4x4 of that era.

Drive what inspires you. When all is said and done, it's just a pile of metal, rubber, and various toxic substances.

blue bomber

Adventurer
??? No Shivvy junk in my Toyota... While it is certainly a somewhat common "american" mod it's hardly what has made and maintained Toyota's reputation but you tell yourself whatever you need to to make you belive they're all hype :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet that, while they seem common place in some parts of the states, Shivvy swapped Toyotas make up les then 1% of the Toyotas out there being the best there is...

So Terriann by your reasoning you drive a "fake" Rover then??? Funny, you decry putting Toyota parts in a Rover but it's perfectly "real" to run a domestic V8 and slushbox... I know you're a comitted "Roverphile" and that's great. You're a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to Rovers, and the board is better for it, but me thinks that you're a little full of "the koolaid" when it comes to realisticly admitting the major downfalls of Rovers.

Toyota didn't get it's reputation by simply having a bunch of armchair quarterbacks making stuff up on the internet. Knowing Toyotas are tougher, more reliable trucks for the most part then Rovers does NOT preclude me from ALSO really liking Rovers (hell I think I can safely say that OilWorkers's "Defender on Portals" is easily one of my top 5 or so favorite trucks ever regardless of the company who makes them... I think that if pressed I'd have a hard time sticking with my tried and true beliefs that the 70-series Cruiser is THE truck for me... I'd drive his rig in a HEARTBEAT and as you can tell I'm a pretty die-ahrd Toyota beliver- for many many reasons). They're neat old trucks with personality that shows in their boxy body's and their intended purpose of getting the job done and not carring how they look doing it. Hell in that respect Rovers and Toyotas are pretty dam simillar. I guess I'm just confused at where your bitterness towards Toyotas come from. Landcruisers/Mini trucks are every bit as utilitarian, every bit as "classic" and historicaly important as Rovers, possibly more so in alot of places. there are more folks then just me who think this. Some VERY knowledgable Rover guys (several of whom are members on this board too) have done exactly what I'm talking about and speak of it as if it should be considered a foregone conclusion. There's a guy with a Series truck on a Mini-truck DT here in the NW who has said over and over again that, after years of running stock Rover parts and fixing and replacing stock parts so many times, he finnaly just said forget it and swapped in a full 22RE Mini-truck D/T... He now has a truck with more power (scarry that a bone stock 22RE could ever be considered a "power upgrade" but) and that's far more capable of handling larger tires and tough trails. I fail to see how, in ANY way, swapping in tougher parts from ANY make, not just Toyota, can be a bad thing. Ever since the 4wd was invented I'd be willing to giess that people have been tossing out the week and replacing it with the strong. It's a simple formula that has nothing to do with brand loyalty. Rovers and Toyota just happen to be a match made in heaven. It's almost as if Rover intended to eventualy have their diffs/axles swapped for Toy parts seeing as it's so easy aye 9i relizer that it's an oversimplification but compared to simillar swaps with other makes/models it sure seems to be alot less work to put say 80-3rd members in a Disco housing). There is simply NO downside to it. Stronger diffs, factory Lockers are available and there's no weight penalty. Seems like a no brainer to me. Stock parts might be perfectly fine for a stock truck, but when you put those things to the test out in the bush I like to have a margin of "overbuilt" (whatever that means) saftey under my truck aye. Again, aside from being a 'snobby purist' i see no reason not to if you;re looking to gain strength and aftermarket options

Anyway, NOT the point of this thread so I'll get back OT.

That Tickford is SO COOL looking (the 1st Gen Rangie is still better looking and more of a "complete" vehicle versus the Tickford that, to me, looks like a mish mash of various different trucks/vehicles... don't get me wrong, I think the Tickford looks REALLY neat but I prefer the 1st Gen Rangie) , I've seen those around the UK/Scotland/Whales but I've never gotten to creep around one and look it over. Is it just a series truck with a custom coachwork body???

I love that Carawagon Rangie aye. That is something that I've always applauded Rover adn the Rover aftermarket for is all the neat purpose built "expo minded" models and conversions (like your dormobile - that is after market right, not a factory Rover configuration???)

And Terriann, despite my compete head slapping disbelief in your theory's above, I do appreciate you explaning the Hi-Cap thing to me. I wasn't sure about this that's why I posed the question. So when you refer to "the one ton version..." was that a Series truck??? A military version??? And what years would these have been available. Also were they only available in a P/U configuration, or could they be had in a wagon body as well??? I thought I had read somewhere that the "lightweights" were also 1-ton rated vehicles??? Maybe I'm just remembering wrong 9not the first second or last time THAT'S happened... hell it's not even teh first time TODAY it's happened ;) )

And yeah, that Series "camper" looks downright SCARRY... Seems like the guy who designed that went to a completely different school of thought then I did. I always thought a Vehicle, for stability sake, should be wider at the base then it is at the top. That thing is the complete oposite aye. Not to mention the fact that the Rover is ALREADY a very narrow truck so adding more weight up top and a body that is considerably wider then the actual truck coachwork is just plain scarry.

I'm trying to find the one picture I was thinking of. It's a relatively new picture of a member here in his Series Rover with no top or cage going through a nice little deep crevase (to use the term loosely) and the look on his face is a combination of child-like elation over simple pleasures and a very sin ister sneer like he's getting away with something... I love that truck if anyone knows the one I'm talking about... I think it's in a state of primer in terms of it's "color"...

Cheers

Dave

Another brand centric dweeb.

blue bomber

Adventurer
Transfer case comparison 1960's era Rover vs Toyota

4b0f8b96-8c2d-9b93.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324714848.990844.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324714848.990844.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 484
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324714905.058185.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324714905.058185.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 485
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324714953.175784.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324714953.175784.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

blue bomber

Adventurer
Another rover plus, Jason drives one.....

As for the1% of Toyotas keeping there original engine and transmissions. Not true. I work for AA and we do brisk business in this respect.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324715170.840257.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324715170.840257.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted that (Jeeps, Cruisers and IH's have this task here in AMerica - further proving that Toyota Landcruisers are a the top of the food chain when it comes to working vehicles ;) And unlike American trucks, you can still GET a real work truck from Toyota aye...) ... IH had SO many trucks that were meant straight up work horse aye. I remember a buddy's old Crew cab IH P/U (something that was pretty ahead of it's time considering back then nobody really made a real "quad cab") and what was really neat was that the stick shift being on the floor would get in the way of the middle passenger sitting on the front bench seat. Well you could pull a little pin and the stick would swivel over out of the way... pretty ingenoius. You could just tell that truck was made with the intention of hauling a crew of guys out to haul wood or hay or whatever... Something I think is REALLY missing in the Domestic FS market these days... REAL WORK TRUCKS. I'm not sure why a "work truck" should be more like our living rooms then a vehicle but then that's AMerica for you...

Dave, IH is International Trucks today. I'm sure you've seen their heavy-duty and severe-duty trucks on the road. They also make the MaxxForce engines. The parent company is Navistar. Too bad they don't have a Light Line anymore (gone over 30 years). Then there's IC Bus, who makes buses and coaches of all sizes. There's the Workhorse drivetrain and chassis sets available.

aka rover

Adventurer
Nice comparison on the t-cases, I have run several cruisers over the years and one toyota pickup which are not for me. The cruisers have there strenghts and weakeness like every other rig out there. But after spending some time on the phone and emailing Timm Cooper and I have come to the conclusion that running toyota axles isn't the fix all cure all. My current build will be strong and dependable and will have a toyota part..!!! Blue bomber sold me a toyota slave cylinder for my clutch..
I thought it was only the jeep guys that got crap from yoda owners but now i see its rover guys as well.

The Koolaid has gotten stronger!!!

Now lets get back on topic and post more cool pics.

Cheers

Scott Brady

Founder
Great find
attachment.php

The classic rover is such a perfectly simple vehicle - I find that true of the Range Rover Classic in particular. The fact you can buy this stunning car for a few thousand dollars and lovingly restore it, drive it for another 20 years is a rare occurrence in the classic car world.
Land_Rover-Range_Rover_Classic_mp29_pic_74091.jpg

DividingCreek

Explorer
The high capacity pickup with a separate bed and cab is a Defender thing. You just had versions of the 109 regular with pickup top. There is the One Ton version with a way more robust drive train that came stock with 35 inch dia tyres. But body wise it is still a 109 regular body style (long wheelbase 2 door). And of course you could get a 109 regular version of the Stage I with pickup top.
[/CENTER]

Rover made a Series 3 109 hcpu in the early 80's. They are uber rare-think the production numbers were less than 500. I imported one for Robert Davis in Virginia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12