Viper Elite Recovery Winch?

poriggity

Explorer
Anyone use these? I have seen them on ebay and at www.motoalliance.com. They seem to be heavily praised in the ATV world, but I would like to see some reviews on the heavier duty automotive applications. I am thinking about going with one for the Dodge... I like the fact that they offer them with synthetic winch rope instead of cable, and the price is reasonable. Here is a pic of what they look like:
Family_1328.jpg

Scott

Last edited:

bat

Explorer
I would say with your rig picking a winch should be on the high side of the overall pulling capacity. I am not sure of your rig specs but I would think after just on the normal gear load you would be in the 9000lb+ range.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Your truck weighs around 7250-7500 bone stock. Depending on where you wheel and what mods you plan on getting, I wouldn't even consider getting anything less than a 12k winch. Those of us with 5500-6500lb trucks get 8.5k-9k winches and generally a pulley block just in case we get really stuck.

If you wheel close to mud or rocks you might want to rethink the synthetic as well.

If you throw on a camper or lots of weight, you might want to add some pulleyblocks or rethink about getting a pto or worm winch.

-Sam

poriggity

Explorer
Thanks for the input guys... I plan on getting AT LEAST a 12k lb winch... I have seen the 12k with synthetic going for about 650 on ebay.. seems reasonable... but if the winch is only going to work once then burn up, it's not worth it to me.
Scott

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Scott,

For that price I would stick with a better known manufacturer. It says that the winch has 85 ft of cable. Since you have to keep a couple of wraps on the drum, you are down to 80ft, depending on where you wheel, that may not be adequate.

You could find a smittybilt, superwinch or used ramsey/warn/etc for that price. And throw on your own synthetic. Far more peace of mind IMO.

-Sam

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
$650 for a new, 12K winch, with synthetic line? Something is wrong with that. I'd have a hard time bolting that to my truck.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
FWIW, you can get an electric milemarker SE12000c for about that much although the synthetic line is extra. That's what I'd do rather than go totally generic.

Rigged

Observer
My buddy got one of those in the 10000lb. flavor and he and I both weren't impressed at all. The build quality isn't the best and feels like it's going to break. One of the biggest drawbacks is that it has a lot of run over. For example when you press the winch in button and let it go the motor continues to spool in for an extended period of time. More then most winches I've seen.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Be careful using synthetic ropes from the "cheaper" winch companies, they have used sub-grade synthetics in the past such as a Sk60 Dyneema instead of a Sk75 Dyneema which isn't as strong or as abrasion resistant. These ones say they are using Amsteel Blue (which is a Sk75 fiber) but I would still check the ropes and ask around before you buy something like that.

-Alex

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears